PDA

View Full Version : Conjuration Spells with Saving Throws?

Zombulian
2018-04-14, 04:10 PM
Man so I'm looking into making a Nar Demonbinder build and it's really bumming me out that you have to take on so many feat taxes to get into the dang class. It specifically requires Greater Spell Focus (Conj) which implies that you've taken Spell Focus (Conj) as well, and it also requires Iron Will, which - granted - you can get through Otyugh Hole. But man, I'm already a spellcaster! I don't need Iron Will.

So now I'm on a quest to make the most of these dumb feat taxes and I'm trying to find Conjuration spells that actually have saving throws (and are preferably on a domain spell list).
All I can think of right now are Grease and Wall of Smoke. Anything else?

Fouredged Sword
2018-04-14, 04:31 PM
Man so I'm looking into making a Nar Demonbinder build and it's really bumming me out that you have to take on so many feat taxes to get into the dang class. It specifically requires Greater Spell Focus (Conj) which implies that you've taken Spell Focus (Conj) as well, and it also requires Iron Will, which - granted - you can get through Otyugh Hole. But man, I'm already a spellcaster! I don't need Iron Will.

So now I'm on a quest to make the most of these dumb feat taxes and I'm trying to find Conjuration spells that actually have saving throws (and are preferably on a domain spell list).

I think some of the orbs have save or sucks attached. AFB right now.

retaliation08
2018-04-14, 04:35 PM
Stinking Cloud, Bands of steel, Dimensions step, Baleful Transposition, Incendiary slime, and Resinous Tar off the top of my head.

Edit: Acid Breath, Arc of Lightning, Kelgore's Firebolt, Firestride Exhalation, Doom Scarabs, Rot of Ages are a few more.

Goaty14
2018-04-14, 05:28 PM
I think some of the orbs have save or sucks attached. AFB right now.

All of the orbs (not lesser!) have a status effect stapled to it, except orb of force because... well force.

Falontani
2018-04-14, 05:38 PM
most all acid spells are conjuration, and there are quite a few of them with saving throws attached

Galacktic
2018-04-14, 05:49 PM
I just want you to know, OP, I read your opening post in Boomhowers voice and I'll be giggling the rest of the day about a grumpy demon-binding Texan while his friend the Crusader talks about selling propane and propane accessories.

Nifft
2018-04-14, 05:57 PM
From the SRD, both Wall of Stone and Wall of Iron have offensive uses which require a Reflex save to avoid.

(Lesser / Greater) Planar Binding requires a Will save, and that's a Demon-binder's bread and butter.

Zombulian
2018-04-14, 06:14 PM
I just want you to know, OP, I read your opening post in Boomhowers voice and I'll be giggling the rest of the day about a grumpy demon-binding Texan while his friend the Crusader talks about selling propane and propane accessories.

dan 'ol demons zippin 'round them planes yknw like dang 'ol lil tricksters man they're dang hard to catch man I tell y'hwat

From the SRD, both Wall of Stone and Wall of Iron have offensive uses which require a Reflex save to avoid.

(Lesser / Greater) Planar Binding requires a Will save, and that's a Demon-binder's bread and butter.

Yeah I mean, once you actually get into Nar Demonbinder the bonuses on save DC's do actually start to matter, but I'm trying to find ways to make these feats matter before then haha.
Btw, also from the SRD and I can't believe I didn't already think of it (and that no one's said it yet), frickin Glitterdust.

Edit: I've also discovered two interesting spells. One being Cloud of Bewilderment (weird that it's called bewilderment but it's not about confusion. It nauseates.) and the other being the hilarious G'elsewhere Chant.

Karl Aegis
2018-04-14, 06:38 PM
The book version only requires Spell Focus(Conjuration). Greater Spell Focus is only in the preview. Don't use the preview version, it is missing a level.

Zombulian
2018-04-14, 07:44 PM
The book version only requires Spell Focus(Conjuration). Greater Spell Focus is only in the preview. Don't use the preview version, it is missing a level.

Oh wait word?

Elkad
2018-04-14, 07:48 PM
All the cloud spells with a rider (incendiary, cloudkill, stinking cloud, etc)
Other BFC effects like Web, Glitterdust, etc

Vitrolic Sphere, Ice Knife, Viscid Glob, etc

All the offensive teleports (Baleful Transposition, etc)

Zombulian
2018-04-14, 11:31 PM
Cloudy Conjuration says it activates in conjunction with the spell being cast. Does that mean that the sickening condition applies to the save someone is making (say, against glitterdust)?

Venger
2018-04-15, 01:24 AM

Nar demonbinder doesn't require greater spell focus. look up the full version of the class in unapproachable east. it also includes the 7th level, which the web preview omits.

what chassis are you using, so I recommend spells that are useful to you. I assume you are an archivist.

There is no save against cloudy conjuration's sickening

Darth Ultron
2018-04-15, 01:26 AM
Oh wait word?

The excerpt/preview class on Wizards.com has a typo only spell focus conj is needed for the class, not greater spell focus.

Venger
2018-04-15, 01:27 AM
The excerpt/preview class on Wizards.com has a typo only spell focus conj is needed for the class, not greater spell focus.

also it only lists 6 levels of the class. top notch copyediting as always from wizards

Zombulian
2018-04-15, 01:53 AM
Nar demonbinder doesn't require greater spell focus. look up the full version of the class in unapproachable east. it also includes the 7th level, which the web preview omits.

Yup someone already pointed that out. This whole time I'd thought it was just some weird class that had casting that could be advanced further than the class levels went.

what chassis are you using, so I recommend spells that are useful to you. I assume you are an archivist.

Ha. Nothing so reasonable as that. Trickster Spellthief.

There is no save against cloudy conjuration's sickening

I know that. What I want to know is if I manifest the cloud on someone at the same time that I'm casting Glitterdust, does the penalty to saves from being Sickened apply to their save against the spell?

Venger
2018-04-15, 06:59 PM
Ha. Nothing so reasonable as that. Trickster Spellthief.

I know that. What I want to know is if I manifest the cloud on someone at the same time that I'm casting Glitterdust, does the penalty to saves from being Sickened apply to their save against the spell?

It specifies that it happens contemporaneously and not before. Since they thus aren't sickened before saving against glitterdust, their save wouldn't be penalized, so they would roll at their normal bonus.

Thurbane
2018-04-15, 07:30 PM
Well, (bear in mind some of these are 3rd party), here's the Sor/Wiz spells according to http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/SearchList.php

Acid Breath
Arc of Lightning
Arctic Haze
Ashstar
Baleful Transposition
Bands of Steel
Blackwater Tentacle
Blast of Flame
Blast of Sand
Bloodstar (M)
Boiling Oil
Choke
Cloudkill
Column of Ice
Contagious Fog
Dimension Door
Dimension Door, Greater
Dimension Hop
Doom Scarabs
Vile Drown
Fetid Breath
Fey Ring (XP)
Fire Spiders
Freezing Claw
Freezing Fog
Glitterdust
Gnome Blight
Grasping Wall
Grease
Haboob
Ice Knife
Ice Web (M)
Icelance (F)
Implore (XP)
Incendiary Cloud
Kelgore's Fire Bolt
Laogzed's Breath
Mage Armor
Greater Mage Armor
Mass Mage Armor
Magma Burst
Magnetic Pulse
Mailed Might of The Magelords
Malevolent Miasma
Mudslide
Nauseating Breath
Nether Trail
Node Door
Nybor's Joyful Voyage
Orb of Acid
Greater Orb of Acid
Orb of Cold
Orb of Electricity
Orb of Fire
Orb of Sound
Permanent Soul Binding (M) (XP)
Planar Binding
Greater Planar Binding
Lesser Planar Binding
Planar Navigation (F)
Plane Shift
Greater Plane Shift
Radiant Fog
Sepia Snake Sigil (M)
Shadow Trap
Shalantha's Delicate Disk
Sphere of Ultimate Destruction
Stand
Sticky Floor
Stinking Cloud
Stormwalk
Stun Ray
Teleport
Teleport Object
Greater Teleport
Mass Teleport
Temporary Soul Binding
Bimonthly Temporary Soul Binding (M) (XP)
Daily Temporary Soul Binding
Eventful Temporary Soul Binding
Minor Temporary Soul Binding
Moderate Temporary Soul Binding
Monthly Temporary Soul Binding (M)
Semimonthly Temporary Soul Binding (M)
Semiweekly Temporary Soul Binding (M)
Toxic Weapon
Trap the Soul
Tunnel Swallow
Viscid Glob
Vitriolic Sphere