PDA

View Full Version : Cleric of the Hunt

Spectrulus
2018-04-14, 04:26 PM
Howdy! Long time lurker, first time thread!

I got some "divine" inspiration the other day and thought I'd share this. I don't homebrew often, but I thought this could be a fun class to play.

Hunter Domain

Many early cultures placed great significance on the hunt. Not only did hunts provide food for the tribes, but also raw materials for shelter, clothing, and tools.
Every culture has their own god of the hunt, and in D&D, most Hunter clerics follow Artemis, Balinor, Chislev, Ehlonna, Habbakuk, Malar, Melora, Obad-Hai, Oberon, Semuanya, Silvanus, Solonor Thelandir, or Uller, although other diety's favors may be called upon for any people.

Hunter Domain Spells

Cleric Level Spells
1st wild cunning, snare
3rd ensnaring strike, pass without trace
5th conjure barrage, commune with nature
7th conjure animals,*swift quiver
9th conjure volley, steel wind strike

Bonus Cantrip

When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the true strike cantrip if you don't already know it.

Bonus Proficiencies

At 1st level, you gain proficiency with blowgun, hand crossbow, heavy crossbow, & longbow.

Huntmaster

From 1st level, your deity can delivers bursts of speed to you while you try to overtake your targets. As a bonus action, you can move up to your speed toward an enemy of your choice that you can see or hear. You must end this move closer to the enemy than you started.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a short rest or long rest.

Channel Divinity: Track Prey

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to locate your prey. For one hour you gain +5 on Insight, Perception, and Survival checks to locate any creature you specify. If your prey is on another plane this ability fails but you know they are on another plane but not which one.

If you also have any item or part of that creature (a strand of hair, a finger, etc.) You instead gain +10 on these checks for the duration.

Channel Divinity: Mark the Quarry

At 6th level, you may spend your action to raise your holy symbol and mark an enemy you can see. While marked, whenever this enemy is dealt damage, it is dealt additional damage equal to your Wisdom bonus by up to five creatures your designate. The enemy can only suffer this damage once per turn. After one minute, the mark expires.

Hunter's Blessing

At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 damage of the same type to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8 damage.

Spiritual Strike

Starting at 17th level, when you use your action to cast a spell, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

TL/DR
All ranged weapons, some Ranger spells, Aggressive x times a day, Channel for Tracking and/or party Hunter's Mark, cleric bonus damage, & cast while shooting as capstone.

Spoiler contains original text before feedback.

Hunter Domain

Many early cultures placed great significance on the hunt. Not only did hunts provide food for the tribes, but also raw materials for shelter, clothing, and tools.
Every culture has their own god of the hunt, and in D&D, most Hunter clerics follow Artemis, Balinor, Chislev, Ehlonna, Habbakuk, Malar, Melora, Obad-Hai, Oberon, Semuanya, Silvanus, Solonor Thelandir, or Uller, although other diety's favors may be called upon for any people.

Hunter Domain Spells

Cleric Level Spells
1st wild cunning, snare
3rd locate animals and plants, pass without trace

Bonus Cantrip

When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the true strike cantrip if you don't already know it.

Bonus Proficiencies

At 1st level, you gain proficiency with blowgun, hand crossbow, heavy crossbow, & longbow.

Huntmaster

From 1st level, your deity can delivers bursts of speed to you while you try to overtake your targets. As a bonus action, you can move up to your speed toward an enemy of your choice that you can see or hear. You must end this move closer to the enemy than you started.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a short rest or long rest.

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to locate your prey. For one hour you gain +10 on Insight, Perception, and Survival checks to locate any creature you specify.
If you also have any item or part of that creature (a strand of hair, a finger, etc.) You also gain advantage on these checks for the duration.

At 6th level, you may lift your holy symbol up and declare one creature within 60 feet of you as your quarry. Once during each creature's turn, if they deal damage to your quarry they may deal additional damage equal to your Wisdom modifier to that creature for one minute.

Hunter's Blessing

At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 damage of the same type to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8 damage.

Spiritual Strike

Starting at 17th level, when you use your action to cast a spell, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

TL/DR
All ranged weapons, some Ranger spells, Aggressive x times a day, Channel for Tracking and/or party Hunter's Mark, cleric bonus damage, & cast while shooting as capstone.

Akolyte01
2018-04-14, 05:04 PM
IDK if your specifics are balanced, but very cool idea!

Spectrulus
2018-04-15, 12:02 AM
I'm pretty sure it all checks out, although Mark the Quarry may be a bit high, there's nothing to compare that to.

kardar233
2018-04-15, 12:28 AM
Mark the Quarry is a little bit strangely written. Try:

At 6th level, you may spend your action to raise your holy symbol and mark an enemy you can see. While marked, whenever this enemy is dealt damage, it is dealt additional damage equal to your Wisdom bonus. The enemy can only suffer this damage once per turn. After one minute, the mark expires.

strangebloke
2018-04-15, 12:47 AM
The issue with Mark the quarry is that you're out rangering the ranger. That's not a good thing. I think the suggested change is good.

Quoxis
2018-04-15, 06:01 AM
The first level feature screams melee, while both the weapon proficiencies and the thought behind the class say ranged attacks. I have no problem with either, but it looks a bit inconsistent.
The features overall are mainly upgrades to the ranger class - multiclassing both would make it perfect, but in comparison the ranger is now even worse off than before, maybe you wanna focus more on the spellcaster side of the cleric for less of an overlap.

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-15, 06:24 AM
I’d say remove Mark the Quarry, and instead add a limited version of Favored Enemy instead.

Say, you deal Wisdom Modifier extra damage against two enemies of your choice.

LudicSavant
2018-04-15, 06:31 AM
Howdy! Long time lurker, first time thread!

I got some "divine" inspiration the other day and thought I'd share this. I don't homebrew often, but I thought this could be a fun class to play.

Hunter Domain

Hunter Domain Spells

Cleric Level Spells
1st wild cunning, snare
3rd locate animals and plants, pass without trace

Bonus Cantrip

Bonus Proficiencies

Huntmaster

From 1st level, your diety can delivers bursts of speed to you while you try to overtake your targets. As a bonus action, you can move up to your speed toward an enemy of your choice that you can see or hear. You must end this move closer to the enemy than you started.

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to locate your prey. For one hour you gain +10 on Insight, Perception, and Survival checks to locate any creature you specify.
If you also have any item or part of that creature (a strand of hair, a finger, etc.) You also gain advantage on these checks for the duration.

At 6th level, you may lift your holy symbol up and declare one creature within 60 feet of you as your quarry. Once during each creature's turn, if they deal damage to your quarry they may deal additional damage equal to your Wisdom modifier to that creature for one minute.

Hunter's Blessing

Spiritual Strike

TL/DR

The main thing Mark the Quarry is going to do is reward horde tactics (undead, summons, hirelings, etc... and of course conjure animals) and make them even more bursty than they already are, which doesn't really seem like the theme you're going for. Essentially it can turn a bag of rats into a massive damage threat. By contrast the lower level stuff doesn't seem to really pack much punch. You can move towards people as a bonus action, for example, but don't really have much to do once you get there. Likewise, channel divinity helps you find your prey, but doesn't really help you do much about it. Wild Cunning and Snare aren't going to be doing you a lot of favors for low level relevance either.

strangebloke
2018-04-15, 08:20 AM
Woah, wait a sec, my problem was with the level two ability, not Mark the Quarry.

The level two ability makes this cleric the best tracker at all times, and that is really not cool.

Mark the quarry is a little funky, but it doesn't get on anyone's toes.

romanwas
2018-04-15, 01:38 PM
:smallwink:

Spectrulus
2018-04-16, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys!

I tweaked it a little bit based on the ideas and kept the original in the Spoiler.

I have a mix of melee and ranged options since rangers can be melee and ranged options, and I didn't want the Domain to have lots of low level power because it's for a cleric, not a ranger, and can still rely on all Cleric options in addition to a few new abilities. This is also why this does not get Extra Attack, like most rangers do, so while it has spell options, its damage-per-round would be lower, lining up with the fact it's a full caster.

Swapped out for ensnaring strike at level 3, giving something to use offensive, albeit at concentration which is at a premium for clerics.

I liked the revised wording for Mark the Quarry, and added a 5 creature limit to whom can benefit from the mark to avoid "bag-of-rats" syndrome. The key for this though was a shared Hunter's mark, albeit one that cannot transfer and costs a Channel instead.

I changed the Track Prey to a +5 or +10 on tracking, if you have something related to target. Keep in mind Clerics do not get proficiency in Survival, and have to choose a background to gain it.

Any other ideas?