PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Savage Bards Make Better Greenbound/Ashbound Summoners

Endarire
2018-04-15, 01:35 AM
Greetings, all!

I just noticed that a Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) gets summon nature's ally on its spell list. The feats Greenbound and Ashbound require the ability to spontaneously cast these spells.

Other classes (like Druids) can do this better in some regards, but Savage Bard can also get Dragonfire Inspiration. So there.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-15, 01:41 AM
Greetings, all!

I just noticed that a Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) gets summon nature's ally on its spell list. The feats Greenbound and Ashbound require the ability to spontaneously cast these spells.

Other classes (like Druids) can do this better in some regards, but Savage Bard can also get Dragonfire Inspiration. So there.But don't druids get spells of a given level (and a much higher level) waaaaay earlier? Or at all?

Zombulian
2018-04-15, 01:56 AM
But don't druids get spells of a given level (and a much higher level) waaaaay earlier? Or at all?

Sublime Chord maybe? Since it expands their spell list to include Sorc/Wiz but keeps the Bard casting and advances to 9th's?

ZamielVanWeber
2018-04-15, 02:40 AM
Sublime Chord maybe? Since it expands their spell list to include Sorc/Wiz but keeps the Bard casting and advances to 9th's?

Dubious that they would retain SNA on the Sublime Chord list. Honestly going a heavy buff build does not seem awful here. Make the weaker dudes stronger and poot out a lot of them (with the help of the ring that gives +1 to the level of SNA).

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-15, 02:47 AM
Dubious that they would retain SNA on the Sublime Chord list. Honestly going a heavy buff build does not seem awful here. Make the weaker dudes stronger and poot out a lot of them (with the help of the ring that gives +1 to the level of SNA).I do believe that SCs retain the spells on the list of the class used to enter the PrC (in this case, savage bard).

Zombulian
2018-04-15, 02:52 AM
Dubious that they would retain SNA on the Sublime Chord list. Honestly going a heavy buff build does not seem awful here. Make the weaker dudes stronger and poot out a lot of them (with the help of the ring that gives +1 to the level of SNA).

What ring is that?

Endarire
2018-04-15, 03:07 AM
Ring of the Beast (Complete Champion 140)

ZamielVanWeber
2018-04-15, 04:44 AM
I do believe that SCs retain the spells on the list of the class used to enter the PrC (in this case, savage bard).

A sublime chord has the ability to cast a small number of arcane spells, all of 4th level or higher. To cast a sublime chord spell, a character must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell?s level, so if she has a Charisma of 13 or lower, she cannot cast any sublime chord spells. Bonus spells are based on Charisma, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the sublime chord?s Cha modifier. A sublime chord can choose spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list or the bard spell list; if a spell appears on both lists at different levels, she uses the bard version of the spell.

Explicitly the bard list. You could certainly try to argue that as you have a modified bard list but that is dubious from a rules perspective. I'd allow it but a DM who does not definitely has strong ground to stand on.

Ring of the Beast (Complete Champion 140)

Thank you.