PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hexblade Help

ajrockstarr
2018-04-15, 02:04 AM
Trying to make a Hexblade Pact of the Blade warlock for our currently level 2 campaign. We've got a paladin, a cleric, a ranger/fighter. This campaign will go on to level 18 at the very least, my current stats and the such are as follows
8 STR
14 DEX (For Medium Armor)
16 CON for some beefyness
8 INT as dump stat
12 WIS
17 CHA (Elven Accuracy at level 4 for +1 CHA).
I went half-elf
The general idea im going for here is to be ranged AND melee but mostly melee focused, Im attempting to be a bruiser (not full tank not full damage). Spells at each level and possible feats/best ASI's at each level would be appreciated, easiest for me to read and interpret is in level by level format

Ex: Level 3: "Take Pact of the Blade and if you dont already have it grab agonizing blast and e.t.c"
"Level 4: Get this such and such spell because its a must have"

All additional books are available, we're not doing this for AL, thanks guys.

Raif
2018-04-15, 04:13 AM
Didn't you post this already and get help?

Either way, yes go Pact of the Blade at level 3 unless you're absolutely not interested in using weapons and doing decent melee damage.

Feats/ASI - Greatsword/Great weapon

Level 4 - Elven Accuracy as you mentioned to get your 18 Charisma.
Level 8 - +2 Charisma or Great Weapon Master. This is your choice here to be frank. If you're interested in using a large weapon and have a +1 Greatsword then I'd go with the great weapon master.
Level 12 - +2 or Great Weapon Master (whatever you didn't choose before) or Pole Arm Master (for Glaive/Halberd) if you're OK with an 18 Charisma
Level 16 - Resilient Constitution or Warcaster or 20 Charisma
Level 19 - Whatever you'd like. Tough, Mobile, or whatever you didn't pick from level 16. Or 20 Charisma.

If your'e not interested in a large weapon (greatsword, greataxe, maul, glaive, etc) then:

Level 4 - Elven Accuracy as you mentioned to get your 18 Charisma.
Level 8 - +2 Charisma
Level 12 - Resilient Constitution or Warcaster
Level 16 - Medium Armor Master/Shield Master/Tough
Level 19 - Whatever you'd like. Tough, Mobile, or whatever you didn't pick from level 16.

Invocations

Level 2: Agonizing Blast - Gives you the range damage you wanted. Never need to think about another ranged damage spell or item again.
Level 2: Armor of Shadows or something else. This one is a free choice as you're going to swap it out later.
Level 5: Swap out Armor of Shadows for Thirsting Blade (here's your extra attack). Pick up Eldritch Smite.
Level 6-11: You gain 2 invocations here that can be whatever you choose. See suggestions below for possible selections.
Level 12: Pick up Lifedrinker.

You at minimum need at this point Eldritch Smite, Thirsting Blade, and Lifedrinker for melee damage and Agonizing Blast for your ranged damage. At this point you have 4/6 Invocations available at level 12 selected which leaves you with 2 free ones to pick for something you like.

Suggestions:

Relentless Hex - for teleports to stay in melee
Devil's Sight - for seeing through Magical Darkness
Maddening Hex - also a good one, but competes with your bonus action for a little more damage.
Improved Pact Weapon if you don't have a magical +1 weapon.

Those 4 (Agonizing Blast, Eldritch Smite, Thirsting Blade, Lifedrinker) are the 4 invocations you need to fit your role that you outlined in combat. The rest are free to your choosing and don't have a huge affect on combat so look at the others and pick what you like. If you're going to try the annoying but overdone Darkness Spell for disadvantage to enemies you need Devil's Sight. Note - your party may hate you for this.

Spells - I'm just going to recommend a few

Armor of Agathys (1st Level): This is a good one for melee warlocks. Gives you a good amount of temp health and deals damage back.
Hex (1st Level): More damage, disadvantage on a specific check type. There are other concentration spells that are better, but this is a solid pick to have.
Expeditious Retreat (1st Level): Bonus action dash. Great for battlefield mobility and keeping yourself out of danger.
Shadow of Moil (4th Level): Does the whole Darkness + Devil's Sight on it's own without hampering your party. Gives you advantage to hit, enemies disadvantage and they take 2d8 damage when they hit you.
Synaptic Static (5th Level): Non-concentration, fireball damage on an Int saving throw that gives a super Bane debuff to enemies.
Foresight (Level 9 Mystic Arcanum): For 8 hours you have everything you need as a melee combatant. Advantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. Enemies have disadvantage to hit you. There is nothing better for you than this.

Hope this helps as a basic outline. Spells and such are very personal to how you want to play

ajrockstarr
2018-04-16, 12:00 AM
Thanks I appreciate it, and yes I have posted something similar but the replies vary and my threads have been hijacked a bit before

Raif
2018-04-16, 10:32 AM
Thanks I appreciate it, and yes I have posted something similar but the replies vary and my threads have been hijacked a bit before

No problem and you're welcome. I can understand the want for the information in an orderly fashion and cleaning up a thread.