PDA

View Full Version : Ability Scores

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-15, 03:52 AM
I think im over thinking this and i figured i would reach out and be corrected.

As per book i cant got over 18 at level 1 unless race knocks it up higher i.e +2 at a 18 Ability Scores turns it into a 20.

So when i hit level 4 can i throw more points into that Ability Score? so it becomes 21 and etc or do i need one of the Ability Score books to boost it past 20?

Uncle Pine
2018-04-15, 04:20 AM
Yes, this isn't 5e where 20 is the maximum you can ever have in an ability score. In 3.5e 0 is the minimum ability score, - is a nonability (thus neither higher nor lower than 0), 3 is the minimum Int score required to take class levels, between 3 and 18 is the range you can get your base ability scores before factoring in your racial modifiers according to the suggested generation rules in the DMG, and ∞ is the highest score you can achieve (although most tricks only get you arbitrarily high ability scores, or NI, which aren't actually ∞).

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-15, 05:12 AM
Thank you. I was wanting to make sure i was correct since I want a high Int. and wasnt sure if i was supposed to buy the booster books to pump my stats up or if i could level as normal.

martixy
2018-04-15, 06:56 AM
Yes, this isn't 5e where 20 is the maximum you can ever have in an ability score. In 3.5e 0 is the minimum ability score, - is a nonability (thus neither higher nor lower than 0), 3 is the minimum Int score required to take class levels, between 3 and 18 is the range you can get your base ability scores before factoring in your racial modifiers according to the suggested generation rules in the DMG, and ∞ is the highest score you can achieve (although most tricks only get you arbitrarily high ability scores, or NI, which aren't actually ∞).

There is a marked difference though between a non-ability and an ability with a score of 0.

The latter renders you comatose or dead. The former designates some kind of special quality of the creature - like how constructs have no CON and no INT because they are not living and mindless.

Mordaedil
2018-04-15, 07:10 AM
Thank you. I was wanting to make sure i was correct since I want a high Int. and wasnt sure if i was supposed to buy the booster books to pump my stats up or if i could level as normal.

Do both for a delicious +10 to intelligence. Get +5 tomes your other stats as well.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-15, 04:13 PM
Do both for a delicious +10 to intelligence. Get +5 tomes your other stats as well.
Just keep in mind that Inherent bonuses do not stack. So if you use a Wish (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm) for +2 and a Tome (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tomeofClearThought)for +3 then you have a +3.

Goaty14
2018-04-15, 04:45 PM
Whoops. 10chars

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-15, 09:54 PM

That's just ludicrously expensive!