PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my Samurai/Hexblade build

Vox Silentii
2018-04-15, 09:51 AM
So i got this idea that i love in my head.
This elf that got stuck with a "cursed" katana that he can't part with.
So i'm thinking what is the best way to do this since a katana is a Long Sword i can use it both with one hand 1d8 or two hands 1d10.
But my idea was kind of like an "Iaijutsu" kind of guy that does a ****load of dmg one time and then mediocre the rest of the fight.
(Adding together Elven Accuracy, Hexblade curse, and Smites from the Hexblade spell list.)
I know it's not optimal but i want to try and make it optimal.

The thing is i don't know if its better to focus fighter or to focus warlock.
But thematically my guy is trained in the way of the blade, and only came across this cursed blade that made a pact with him unwillingly. (insert plot how this is possible)
I found this Feat (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Iaijutsu_Master_(5e_Feat)) that my dm will probably allow, which might help with the build.

But i'm looking to you guys for ideas and help to optimize this build

thanks in advance

effenhoog
2018-04-15, 10:01 AM
sounds to me like going straight hexblade is fine. Like any warlock you could always start one level as a fighter for con saves if you like

djreynolds
2018-04-15, 10:05 AM
Do you want your extra attack from fighter or warlock?

Its crazy, but you may decide you want to spend your invocations on something else rather than an extra attack.

Also samurai gets a free save proficiency at 7th level.

So IMO, dip 3 samurai or go for 8. I'm leaning towards 3 levels for spell slots/spells, but with warlock your spells come back on a short rest.

romanwas
2018-04-15, 01:35 PM
:smallwink:

Coec
2018-04-15, 07:02 PM
I had a similar idea but I added levels of rogue for the sneak attack dmg. It provided a little more dmg output per round. The only problem I have is it takes a while to come of age so to speak. I was only taking hexblade to about level 3 so i could take advantage of more fighter and rogue levels, using the samurai and assassin archetype.

Vogie
2018-04-16, 09:21 AM
I'd expect the goal to be either Samurai 7/ Hexblade 13 (for lifedrinker, an additional +Cha per attack) or Samurai 10/ Hexblade 10 (for Tireless Spirit & 10 THP per use of Fighting spirit)

As for the build, It really depends on what level you're starting, and what's important to you. Both builds start being themselves around level 3, and both have access to an extra attack at 5. Thus, regardless where you start, the "full build" won't start coming together until level 8 at the earliest.

At level 1, if you're going to build around the Cha damage, you will want to start with Hexblade. Alternatively, if your core concept requires heavy armor or fighting style then at least 1 level of fighter is required.