PDA

View Full Version : Alter self question

Belier
2018-04-15, 09:59 AM
Natural Weapons: You grow claws, fangs, spines, horns, or a different natural weapon of your choice. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you chose, and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes. Finally, the natural weapon is magic and you have a +1 bonus to the Attack and Damage Rolls you make using it.

In regard of this part of the spell. Is the proficiency with theunarmed strike relative to the natural weapons or is it relative to my unarmed strike which I was already proficient now deal 1d6 +1 and is magical?

Thank you

Desteplo
2018-04-15, 10:16 AM
All characters are proficient in unarmed strike. The spell enhances the flavor but it’s still unarmed strike

Belier
2018-04-15, 10:25 AM
All characters are proficient in unarmed strike. The spell enhances the flavor but it’s still unarmed strike

Regarding your answer somebody that multiclass monk could thus be able to use martial arts dexterity modifier and bonus action since it is a remodeled unarmed strike.

sophontteks
2018-04-15, 10:45 AM
It appear that alter self is an exception to normal natural weapons, which nornally don't work with unarmed strike. Wildshapes can still perform unarmed strikes according to this dicussion, just not with their natural weapons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/21/how-do-wild-shape-attacks-interact-with-unarmed-strikes/amp/

Belier
2018-04-15, 10:55 AM
It appear that alter self is an exception to normal natural weapons, which nornally don't work with unarmed strike. Wildshapes can still perform unarmed strikes according to this dicussion, just not with their natural weapons. I would say even Devs are confused. Crawford ia still morr considistent than mike.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/21/how-do-wild-shape-attacks-interact-with-unarmed-strikes/amp/

I kind of have a problem with devs making basic mistakes on their explanations. Mike is wrong. To flurry of blow you need to take attack action not multiattack like in his answer. And people takes their answers like official ruling and they can't master their rules themselves.

@layhnedota Multiattack on BrownBear: 1d8+4, 2d6+4 + FoB 2d8+4 avg 35 (max 56) that’s comparable (little higher) than GWFlv20 as Dru6/Mnk14 you can totally OK on a DM basis, but from a design POV it puts some funky limits on creating more beasts

— Mike Mearls (@mikemearls) February