PDA

View Full Version : Black Frost Champion [PrC]

lotofsnow
2007-09-02, 02:00 PM
This is a prestige class I'm developing for a current campaign. It is an evil campaign in a homebrew world. My character, a paladin of tyranny, is a servant of one of the chief evil gods, the Ice Duke. In order to give my character more of a unique icy flavor, I got permission from my DM to submit a PrC for his tweaking/approval.

I wondered if you folks would take a look at it and comment as necessary. A lot of the material is pulled from Frostburn.

Black Frost Champion

black frost - 1. A dry freeze with respect to its effects upon vegetation, that is, the internal freezing of vegetation unaccompanied by the protective formation of hoarfrost. A black frost is always a killing frost, and its name derives from the resulting blackened appearance of affected vegetation.

http://www.thedorkknights.org/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album07/bitter_chivalry.jpg
(Image by Todd Lockwood)

“Some pilgrims travel to the deep north in search of answers. Most do not return. The few who do, return weak and half-mad, bringing tales of death, ice, and eternal night. Every few generations, one returns strong, and he brings the North with him.”
- Dartagna Bel'turleaf, “History of the Ice Lands”

Requirements:
Alignment: Lawful Evil.
Base Attack Bonus: +6.
Skill: Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks.
Feat: Improved Sunder.
Special: Smite attack 2/day, as the Paladin class feature.

The Black Frost Champion
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Aura of Cold, Endure Elements, Rebuke Cold

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Resistance to cold 5, Powerful Grip

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Frozen Skin (+2)

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Black Frost Smite 1/day

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Resistance to cold 10, Frost Weapon

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Frozen Skin (+4), Cold Snap

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Cold subtype, Hoarfrost Sunder

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Icy Weapon

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Black Frost Smite 2/day

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Wintry Apotheosis[/table]

Hit Die: d10

Class Skills:
The Black Frost Champion's class skills are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Black Frost Champion's gain no proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Paladin Abilities: A Black Frost Champion's levels stack with paladin of tyranny levels for progressing Deadly Touch (Lay on Hands) and Special Mount abilities.

Aura of Cold: As a swift action, a Black Frost Champion can emit an Aura of Cold in a 10ft radius. The temperature within the aura's area of effect is 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding environment. While the aura is active, the Black Frost Champion gains a +2 bonus to Intimidate checks and a -2 penalty to Diplomacy checks to effect creatures within 10ft. The aura can be dismissed as a free action.

Endure Elements: A Black Frost Champion possesses the ability to exist in cold environments as if under the constant effect of an endure elements spell.

Rebuke Cold: A Black Frost Champion may use rebuke undead attempts to rebuke, command, or bolster creatures with the cold subtype. A Black Frost Champion adds his Black Frost Champion levels with his cleric or paladin of tyranny levels for all purposes related to rebuking undead and creatures with the cold subtype.

Resistance to cold: A Black Frost Champion who is at least 2nd level, gains resistance to cold 5. This increases to resistance to cold 10 at 5th level.

Powerful Grip: As the Disciple of Thrym class feature, Frostburn, page 57. Applies to two-handed weapons only.

Frozen Skin: Similar to the Winterhaunt of Iborighu class feature, Frostburn, page 73. Cloak of Winter's Chill is not applicable.

Black Frost Smite: Once per day, a Black Frost Champion of 4th level or higher may make a single melee attack against any creature with a +4 attack bonus and a cold damage bonus equal to his Black Frost Champion level (if he hits). The Black Frost Champion must declare the smite before making the attack. Starting at 9th level, a Black Frost Champion can Black Frost Smite twice per day.
If a Black Frost Champion has a smite good attack from paladin of tyranny levels, the number of uses stack. He also can choose to use either his Black Frost Smite or smite good ability each time he attempts to smite a creature. The attack bonus does not increase, but the damage bonus is based on the character's combined level (Black Frost Champion levels plus paladin levels).

Frost Weapon: As the Disciple of Thrym “Frost Greataxe” class feature, Frostburn, page 57. Applies to two-handed weapons only.

Cold Snap: At 7th level, a Black Frost Champion gains the ability to intensify his aura of cold as a full round action. A number of times per day equal to 1 + his Charisma modifier, a Black Frost Champion can reduce the temperature within 20ft up to 10 degrees cooler per Black Frost Champion level (maximum -100 degrees at 10th level). This Cold Snap lasts for 10 minutes per Black Frost Champion level and all Fortitude saves to negate damage from intense cold happen immediately and then again at the time increments defined in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

Cold Subtype: At 7th level, a Black Frost Champion gains the cold subtype. He gains immunity to cold, but also has vulnerability to fire, which means he takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire, regardless of whether or not a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or a failure.

Hoarfrost Sunder: A Black Frost Champion of 7th level or higher can use a move action to sheathe his weapon in a white layer of frost. If the weapon is used in a sunder attempt within one round, the Black Frost Champion gains a bonus to damage an inanimate object equal to his Black Frost Champion level. After one round, the frost melts and the weapon is as normal. This ability may be used a number of times a day equal to 2 + the Black Frost Champion's Charisma modifier.

Icy Weapon: As the Disciple of Thrym “Icy Greataxe” class feature, Frostburn, page 57. Applies to two-handed weapons only.

Wintry Apotheosis: As the Winterhaunt of Iborighu class feature, Frostburn, page 74.

A Note on Multiclassing: A paladin who takes levels in Black Frost Champion may continue to progress his career as a paladin.

Thank you for reading and for your responses.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-02, 02:18 PM
This looks like a very cool prestige class, however I don't own Frostburn so I can't critique the whole thing. It seems powerful but not overpowered, and like it would make a great villain or evil PC.

(Is it just me or does it seem like Arthas from Warcraft would be either a member of this PrC or a Blackguard? Maybe a fallen paladin, exchanges all of his paladin levels for blackguard, and takes this class. Or something.)

lotofsnow
2007-09-02, 02:55 PM
This looks like a very cool prestige class, however I don't own Frostburn so I can't critique the whole thing. It seems powerful but not overpowered, and like it would make a great villain or evil PC.

(Is it just me or does it seem like Arthas from Warcraft would be either a member of this PrC or a Blackguard? Maybe a fallen paladin, exchanges all of his paladin levels for blackguard, and takes this class. Or something.)

Thank you for looking it over and for your generous compliments.

Now that you mention it, I do see the Arthas correlation. While I am a former Warcraft and WoW player, I can assure you the similarities are not intentional.

EvilElitest
2007-09-02, 06:09 PM
Very cool, a tad bit more fluff would be very cool
from,
EE

lotofsnow
2007-09-02, 06:19 PM
Very cool, a tad bit more fluff would be very cool
from,
EE

Yeah, I like fluff, too.

I'm hesitant to create too much backstory, etc, as it is my DM's world and I don't want to start writing it for him. Does that make sense?

Right now, I'm mostly concerned with just the mechanics of the class. Does any part seem overpowered to you? Is it a weak class, all pomp and no power?

I think, once I get it in a condition that is presentable, I'll submit it, and he and I can work together to make it fit into his world. Then you'll see fluff, fluff on the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man scale.

lotofsnow
2007-09-03, 08:41 AM
Cold Snap ability added at 6th level.