PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Any Bards taking Xanathars spells at 10th level?

dnd2016
2018-04-15, 01:54 PM
Synaptic static perhaps?

Waazraath
2018-04-15, 01:56 PM
Synaptic static perhaps?

I'd consider Find Greater Steed. Maybe Steel Wind Strike, or for a Valor Archer Guardian of Nature.

Kenny Snoggins
2018-04-15, 02:30 PM
Synaptic static perhaps?

AFB currently but I'm pretty sure that Synaptic Static is already on the bard list? Obviously take it, it's excellent, but I don't think you need to use a secret slot on it.

For Level 10 I think Find Greater Steed is a no-brainer. You generally get better value out of Paladin and Ranger steals, and this isn't an exception. It's basically a persistent Bigby's Hand that lasts until killed or dispelled and has considerably greater combat utility. If you're a lore bard and strength is your dump stat (probable) having a reliable, intelligent, strength 18 fast flying creature opens a lot of interesting options for you in both combat and exploration. There are some interesting grab/drop shenanigans you can use, like flying over the lines, grabbing a wizard, grappling him with the griffon and body slamming him. The griffon's multi-attack is nice for clearing chaff too. Definitely a top pick.

I find that the level 5 spells for bard are basically like the level 3 spells for everyone else-- it's your go-to damaging spell slot, with animate objects and synaptic static. So it can be nice to get a damaging spell from your secrets earlier. Depending on how your DM handles the spell sharing component of Find Greater Steed, Dragon's Breath can be a good pick. You and your steed could both breath fire every turn with your action, doing 6D6 (combined) to everybody in the cone who fails the save for a 2nd level spell. That you can repeat. Every turn. For the entire combat. So that's pretty gruesome. If you can't share damaging spells with your steed (again, this is kind of contentious) it's probably a pass though.

dnd2016
2018-04-15, 03:56 PM
What are good spells for the spell sharing component?

Foxhound438
2018-04-15, 09:41 PM
blade/valor bards are probably happy enough to take holy weapon, even if they plan to take Tenser's Transform at 14th

In the same vein, you might actually prefer guardian of nature, since the advantage would work well with a great weapon master/sharpshooter build with a bunch of other benefits on top

find greater steed, as others said, is pretty nuts no matter what

I'm pretty certain that you still want to take wall of force in any case, so for me I would probably go WoF+Greater Steed on a lore/glamor/whisper bard, and WoF+holy weapon for blade/valor. Maybe it's worth taking holy weapon and greater steed for the melee options since you need to get to your targets after all.

DracoKnight
2018-04-16, 07:39 AM
On my Whispers Bard in SKT, I took shadow blade. It kicks butt on my bard :smallbiggrin:

dnd2016
2018-04-16, 11:02 AM
On my Whispers Bard in SKT, I took shadow blade. It kicks butt on my bard :smallbiggrin:

Is it worth it for my lore bard. I'm getting GFB at 10th. also

NecroDancer
2018-04-16, 11:12 AM
find greater steed is my personal choice.

Although Danse Macabre is an interesting Spells both flavorfully and it's decent if your going as a necrobard.

Steel Wind Strike is amazing for valor bards and Maelstorm is a decent choice if you're going for a sea themed swashbuckler.

dnd2016
2018-04-16, 11:27 AM
My lore bard doesnt really have any spells with rang/self. Is G. find steed still worth it?

sophontteks
2018-04-16, 11:42 AM
I know I'm taking it without a shred of hesitation. A flying monsterous mount? Yes please. Thats a win from any point of view, espesially considering the sheer number of cool points. An infernal pegasus? Yes please.

Foxhound438
2018-04-16, 12:28 PM
My lore bard doesnt really have any spells with rang/self. Is G. find steed still worth it?

a fly speed of 90 with enough hit points to survive a couple of average fireballs without needing concentration is more than good enough if you ask me.

MaxWilson
2018-04-16, 01:12 PM
Healing Spirit obviously displaces Aura of Vitality as the most desirable healing spell in the game. Aura of Vitality was already popular, Healing Spirit should be moreso.

Find Greater Steed is also a very strong pick for the long-lasting no-concentration flying and possibly free attacks (depending on how the DM interprets "you control the mount in combat" when you're not actually mounted on it), and a good amount of HP.

dnd2016
2018-04-16, 03:55 PM
Can I mount a peryton, as its size is only medium?

DracoKnight
2018-04-16, 06:01 PM
Is it worth it for my lore bard. I'm getting GFB at 10th. also

I would argue it is, but I also like mages who get into melee, so YMMV - especially cuz you could alternatively take spirit guardians and have a lot more control and a better duration/damage for the same concentration.

MaxWilson
2018-04-16, 06:44 PM
Can I mount a peryton, as its size is only medium?

Only if you're a Small creature like a goblin, a gnome, or a halfling.

Ventruenox
2018-04-16, 08:54 PM
I've been puzzling over the level 10 Magical Secrets selections myself. I try to find character-thematic choices instead of pure optimizing, but I know that I will eventually settle for one of each.

I'm considering Dragon's Breath from Xanathar's for one of my picks. I'm playing a Raven Queen Lore Bardlock refluffed as a Voodoo mortician. My DM continually ignores the raven familiar, even when I send it in the face of the baddy to obscure vision. Let's see what he does when it starts strafing his battlefield while I maximize my own action economy.

For the second pick, I'm pretty set on a 3rd party spell from Frog God's Book of Lost Spells. Zombify Self is a level 4 non-concentration 10 minute spell that turns you into an undead form, while maintaining intellect and spellcasting ability. It also has drawbacks of -4 Dexterity and disadvantage on Charisma checks, and a Con save for substantial necrotic damage when the spell ends. When we go up against the Lich BBEG, that will actually be a solid buff. Lots of stuff will break when a PC is an undead type instead of humanoid or living creature. For pure RP awesomeness, I will use this with a few other items and spells to pull off the Thriller as dance fighting.