PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Blackguard 5e(Still WIP, PEACH)

demonslayerelf
2018-04-15, 02:55 PM
So, hey. Posted this a while back, but I made a lot of changes, updated all of it, added a bunch of new stuff. You know, the works.
Point is, I couldn't find the other thread. This is a sort of "Open Production" of the blackguard class for 5e.

Here it is. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkJZqo8zf)

Before I start with this; This has very little in common with the 3.5 Blackguard Prestige class. Not only was the prestige class just sort of bland(Rogue+Paladin, with a fiendish servant), but it was also just 10 levels, and... Well, a prestige class. This is it's own thing, but still a sort of "Warrior of Evil" type of deal.

With that said; I decided to make nearly all things the blackguard does to one of four abilities they gain, so those are the ones I'll talk about here.

Cruelty Points serve as a sort of mixed pool of healing and damage, for the most part. This gives it a sort of "passive" boost, in that most of the cruelty point effects don't take an action to invoke.
The Blackguard's Shadow is an important part of their arsenal, because it is the source of most of the blackguards abilities that they have to actually use an action for. It's usually something to supplement the blackguard's weapon attacking.
The Blackguard has Black Magic, which is essentially the Warlock's Mystic Arcanum for spell levels 1-6. I wanted to give the blackguard spellcasting, but Pact Magic has... A few problems with it, we'll say, and this afforded more control over the spellcasting ability of the class.
Lastly, their Aura of Evil is the source of almost all of their "Area" effect moves, and all of their supporting abilities, which are few and far between.

Subclass Time:
The Demon is intended to basically be the "Barbarian" of the blackguards, dealing heavy melee damage, and sustaining a ton of damage of it's own.

The Devil hasn't really been made at all yet, but I intend for them to be the "Battlemaster" to the Demon's "Barbarian", using discipline, maneuvers, etc.

The Night Hag subclass is definitely the caster of the group, and they have a ton of abilities that give or modify spell slots. They're also the only subclass encouraged to simply cast spells, instead of using them for something else.

The Rakshasa is definitely supposed to be the deceiver, with a healthy amount of "Wildcard/Antimage" flare. They'll get some form of Sneak Attack, I'm sure, which will probably be called "False Betrayal" or something.

The Succubus is also supposed to be a deceiver type, but instead of being like the Rakshasa, they'll get mixed with a sort of "Niche Condition Fighter", with things like Charm and Restrain, which don't show up all that much.

Lastly, the Yugoloth is the one I see as the sort of "Default" subclass, even though it's probably one of the ones that few people have heard of. They'll get hints of everything through their abilities, without a specialty, like the others.