PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Telepath class

liamkirkwood
2018-04-15, 03:10 PM
so i want to create a character that specializes in mind control spells like charm person, read thoughts and also physic and force damaging spells like mind spike and arcane hand and also a few illusion spell like minor illusion etc what class would be the best for this and i do not want to use the UA Psionic.
im ok with the use of xanathars extended sub-classes.

Naanomi
2018-04-15, 03:11 PM
Most of the spells like that are on all the arcane caster spell lists.
A sorcerer (shadow? Wild?); a Great Old One Warlock; or an Enchanter all have selling points for the concept

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-15, 03:23 PM
If you don't need to be AL compliant - be a Ghostwise Halfling from the SCAG to get access to some limited telepathy. Then go either Enchanter Wizard or Lore Bard and use your Magical Secrets to pick up any other mind-based spells that you're missing, including a wide variety of Xanathar's spells.

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-15, 03:34 PM
Mystic is all about Psionics, and gain quite a few Telepathy abilities.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t see the fact that you didn’t want to be a Mystic. Ignore this then :P.

Personification
2018-04-15, 03:36 PM
Psion is the obvious class for this, but as you are not doing that, I would definitely say GOOlock.

liamkirkwood
2018-04-15, 03:55 PM
GOOlock.
?:smallconfused:

Crgaston
2018-04-15, 04:02 PM
?:smallconfused:

Great Old One warLock
🐙

Kane0
2018-04-15, 04:15 PM
Great Old One warlock is a good start, gets telepathy from level 1 and a bundle of good mental flavor spells that always assume max slot and recharge on a short rest.
Friends
Cause Fear
Charm Person
Crown of Madness
Dissonant Whispers
Detect Thoughts
Enthrall
Mind Spike
Suggestion
Enemies Abound
Fear
Hypnotic Pattern
Sending
Charm Monster
Dominate Beast
Dominate Person
Scrying
Telekinesis
Plus any invocations you might want to pick up like Beguiling Influence and Dreadful Word

You can also multiclass into Bard and Sorcerer for more, both work well since they share Charisma as a casting stat.

Naanomi
2018-04-15, 06:50 PM
Subtle spell works great for this, the vast majority of such spells have no material components