PDA

View Full Version : Are Druadins a thing?

ATHATH
2018-04-15, 10:46 PM
Some other questions in addition to the one in the title: How strong is a Paladin 2/Moon Druid 18? Can I use Divine Smite while in Wild Shape form? What Wild Shape forms have an unusually large number of attacks (bundled together in a Multiattack option, of course) that I can use Divine Smite with? Should I take an extra level of Paladin for the sweet Oathbreaker Channel Divinities?

KOLE
2018-04-15, 11:01 PM
Other people will be able to answer the other questions better, but yes, you can smite in wild shape! Because you’re not actually casting a spell, you’re using a spell slot, just like the moon druid healing ability.

Jerrykhor
2018-04-15, 11:23 PM
Deinonychus can make up to 4 attacks, but only have 26hp and 13AC. Giant Scorpion can make 3 attacks, but is CR 3 so you need to have at least 9 levels in druid.

Naanomi
2018-04-15, 11:27 PM
There isn’t a lot of synergy and it is MAD as heck. But, 5e is flexible... so you can give it a go an it should play reasonably

MrStabby
2018-04-16, 01:09 AM
There isn’t a lot of synergy and it is MAD as heck. But, 5e is flexible... so you can give it a go an it should play reasonably

Is MAD such an issue with mooon druid? I know you won't be in wildshape all the time but it feels like it should take the edge off the problems.

And yeah, smiting as a beast is cool.

CTurbo
2018-04-16, 01:10 AM
It's an odd duck for sure but all you REALLY need is a good Wis and Cha with a little Con on the side

Edit: oh yeah and a totally wasted 13 Str

Edit again: Half-Elf gets you 14 Str, 10 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis, 14 Cha to start or you could have 13 Str, 8 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis and 16 Cha

Naanomi
2018-04-16, 03:25 AM
STR 13 (multiclassing), DEX 14 (no readily available heavy armor option for you), WIS and CHA as casting stats, CON like everyone... yes MAD

hymer
2018-04-16, 03:44 AM
Some other questions in addition to the one in the title: How strong is a Paladin 2/Moon Druid 18? Can I use Divine Smite while in Wild Shape form? What Wild Shape forms have an unusually large number of attacks (bundled together in a Multiattack option, of course) that I can use Divine Smite with? Should I take an extra level of Paladin for the sweet Oathbreaker Channel Divinities?

I have a multiclass (dipping, really) discussion in my druid guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd). It's post 9, and I do talk about paladins and what's possible. There's a lot of 'ask your DM', but where I've found more or less official rulings, I've noted them.

As for your specific questions, pal2/moon18 is a dire waste. You're missing out on the capstone, which is much more powerful than being able to smite. But if you're playing at lower levels, it's a different story. The smites can allow your wild shapes to get a real offensive oomph, which they otherwise lack past level 4 or so.
Most DMs would rule that you can smite in wild shapes, as far as I can tell.
Large number of attack wild shapes have been noted.
I wouldn't go for oathbreaker. The charm undead thing is limited by your paladin level, which is going to be minute (and it jars not a little with the usual druid ethos - depends on the campaign). The fear effect may be something, but you have plenty of control options as a druid and shouldn't really need it. Also, if you're actually playing at really high levels, there's the ability to cast spells in wild shape at druid level 18 - combining spells and wild shape is a very considerable boost for moon druids.

STR 13 (multiclassing), DEX 14 (no readily available heavy armor option for you), WIS and CHA as casting stats, CON like everyone... yes MAD
The build is supposed to be in wild shape for as much fighting as possible, so the dex doesn't enter into it. Str and Cha 13 are required, wisdom will be important when you're casting (which you're trying not to do - that's why you want the smite), con for emergencies but you're still mostly in wild shape, and so has the con score of the beast.
But you do point to the main weakness of this build, which is losing the wild shapes too fast. It can be partially offset through various druid abilities, but a dip into barbarian for rage may well be worth it to stretch those wild shape hp the most until you get access to other damage resistance abilities.

Pex
2018-04-16, 07:45 AM
It's an odd duck for sure but all you REALLY need is a good Wis and Cha with a little Con on the side

Edit: oh yeah and a totally wasted 13 Str

Edit again: Half-Elf gets you 14 Str, 10 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis, 14 Cha to start or you could have 13 Str, 8 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis and 16 Cha

You can literally be an odd duck smiting with your bill.

DragonBaneDM
2018-04-16, 07:52 AM
Hello!

I'm playing a Dragonborn Pal 2/Moon 7 at the moment and it's been pretty fun. Started at level 1, and the power of wildshape at Moon 2 made that a really good breakpoint to go Paladin at.

Wild Shape Smite feels real real good and is real real legal. I wouldn't recommend going past Pal 2; your spells are important. There's a bit of a no man's land around character level 6 where you need to lean into your role as support caster/summoner. I just picked up Tier 2 Beast shapes, so I'm hoping to redawn my mantle of frontliner soon. As for forms, I've been getting by on Bear forms (refluffed as dinos) and deinonychus when I need to be Medium.

I don't recommend DBorn. That was a flavor sacrifice (worth it to play Wrex the Dinomancer).

Vogie
2018-04-16, 08:17 AM
I think it's cool, because both the Divine Smite will give you raw damage, expanding the number of non-concentration spells available and the channel divinity abilities which can be done while wild shaped for the most part. However you have to be very careful with which Oath you choose if you grab that third level of paladin - many of them involve whispering, praying, rebuking, et cetera - which you can't do while wild shaped.

The most obvious Paladruid pairing is Oath of the Ancients, which has one of the 2 channel divinities as "You can use your Channel Divinity to utter ancient words..." which clearly won't work.

Some, however, could be handwaived by DM Fiat. Oath of the Crown, for example, indicates only "issuing a challenge" to a target or other members of your party "that can hear you", which could potentially be done while Wild shaped (via gestures/posturing, or a howl, respectively)

hymer
2018-04-16, 08:43 AM
The most obvious Paladruid pairing is Oath of the Ancients, which has one of the 2 channel divinities as "You can use your Channel Divinity to utter ancient words..." which clearly won't work.
Some wild shapes can speak, most notably the elementals. But also some of the animals, like giant eagles and mooses, 'scuse me, 'elks'.

Waazraath
2018-04-16, 02:22 PM
IMO: yeah, this can work without a problem. Yeah, it's a bit MAD, but it doesn't matter. Even if you keep all your scores at 14 or lower, during the entire campaign. Melee combat: you'll be in beast form, so who cares about stats. And when in combat, but not in beast form, just stick to the spells that don't require an attack role or allow a save. Plenty of those on the Druid list; healing, summoning, buffing...

Don't forget: if you go Druid 10 / pally 2, you can spend all other levels on cool, front loaded melee stuff. Combat will take place in elemental form, just upgrade those with smite, rage, cunning action, maneuvers, whatever.

I'd just go for it.

hymer
2018-04-16, 02:40 PM
Don't forget: if you go Druid 10 / pally 2, you can spend all other levels on cool, front loaded melee stuff. Combat will take place in elemental form, just upgrade those with smite, rage, cunning action, maneuvers, whatever.
Druid11 gives you access to the Investiture of X spells. An air elemental with Investiture of Stone running is a sight to behold. It's pretty durable, highly manoeuvrable, and can burrow through the ground (though not end in it).