PDA

View Full Version : Obscene amount of arrows?

MoogleMcGee
2018-04-16, 01:51 AM
In another thread someone made about turning smite into as many ranged attacks as possible someone mentioned a build that allowed for "an absolutely obscene amount of arrows" and that I came online about level 10. It was also mentioned that this build used psionics in the form of 2 levels of soul blade and 2 levels of soul bow. Does anyone have a link to this build or any idea of what a build like this would look like? I wanted to ask in the other thread but I didn't want to derail it.

Edit: as requested here is the thread I was referring to To Much cheese can we go cheesier (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?556266-To-much-cheese-of-can-we-go-cheesier) . And now that I'm rereading it it was Randuir that posted a partial build. So let me rethink my question a little. If I were to use his suggested 2 soul knife/ X 3/ 2 soul bow/kensai 3 what would make good options for X and are there any feats that I would absolutely need?

Norin
2018-04-16, 06:18 AM
A friendly tip is to link the thread in question for easy reference. It could prove useful for getting more replies.

heavyfuel
2018-04-16, 09:25 AM
A Mystic Ranger can cast Arrow Storm starting at lv 6.

That's one arrow per enemy per character level

Uncle Pine
2018-04-16, 09:34 AM
A Mystic Ranger can cast Arrow Storm starting at lv 6.

That's one arrow per enemy per character level

One arrow per enemy up to your character level.

You can cast this spell only at the beginning of your turn, before you take any other actions. After casting arrow storm, you can use a full-round action to make one ranged attack with a bow with which you are proficient against every foe within a distance equal to the weapon's range increment. You can attack a maximum number of individual targets equal to your character level. If you choose not to spend a full-round action in this fashion after casting the spell, the spell has no effect.

heavyfuel
2018-04-16, 09:36 AM

Yeah. That's what I said :smallconfused:

I said it's only one arrow per enemy and one arrow per level

Ok, I get the problem with my line now.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-16, 10:41 AM
Take a few levels of kensai or psychic weapon master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d), or the Ancestral Relic or Item Familiar feats, to add splitting to your mind arrows. And also don't forget that, since your mind arrow is "identical in all ways (except visually) to an arrow," you should be able to fire your mind arrow from an actual bow for additional ranged weapon abilities (which stack with those you add directly to your mind arrows).

PacMan2247
2018-04-16, 07:43 PM
Edit: as requested here is the thread I was referring to To Much cheese can we go cheesier (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?556266-To-much-cheese-of-can-we-go-cheesier) . And now that I'm rereading it it was Randuir that posted a partial build. So let me rethink my question a little. If I were to use his suggested 2 soul knife/ X 3/ 2 soul bow/kensai 3 what would make good options for X and are there any feats that I would absolutely need?

I missed that thread the first time around, but you need to check with your DM to see if that build will do what you and Randuir think it does. The potential problem here is that the mind blade is not a permanent item; the description of the class feature doesn't mention it dissipating naturally on its own, but does say that creating one (whether for the first time or if one is broken) takes a move action. This issue is compounded by the mind arrow feature of the Soulbow class, which treats the mind arrows as "identical in all ways (except visually) to an arrow shot from a composite longbow." Magic ammunition that strikes its target is destroyed, and so are some shots that miss. The Kensai's signature weapon requires a 24 hour period of meditation/prayer to empower the weapon. Even if your DM says that a mind blade can remain manifested while a character sleeps, there's serious potential for a major XP drain from this build. The idea of firing mind arrows from a magic bow may also be nixed: the mind arrow class feature requires that the character have a hand free to create and project the arrows. A bow being a two-handed weapon means that, while it could be held, it couldn't be used for this purpose, even ignoring the implications of how the ability is worded.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-17, 12:07 AM
I'd probably fill in X with two levels of ranger and one of fighter, knock out two-weapon fighting and rapid shot. The three kensai levels can get you the splitting enhancement. Grab improved TWF with either a character feat or gloves off the gloves of the balanced hand.

The net result is a full attack that is +3/+3/+3/+3/+3/+3/-2/-2/-2/-2 before dex, enhancements, etc.

Calthropstu
2018-04-17, 08:10 AM

In theory, many shot is a ranged attack is it not?
So if you manyshot with it it'd be multiple arrows per enemy...
And if you used this in conjunction with a ballista...

Maximum firepower attained. Or does a ballista not count as a bow?

Darrin
2018-04-17, 08:40 AM
If I were to use his suggested 2 soul knife/ X 3/ 2 soul bow/kensai 3 what would make good options for X and are there any feats that I would absolutely need?

How about:

Race: Human
1) Soulknife 1. Weapon Focus, Hidden Talent, PB Shot.
2) Soulknife 2.
3) Fighter 1. Blind-Fight, Dodge.
4) Monk 1. Combat Expertise (Passive Way), Improved Unarmed Strike.
5) Warblade 1.
6) Soulbow 1. Improved Initiative.
7) Soulbow 2.
8) Kensai 1.
9) Kensai 2. Adaptive Style.
10) Kensai 3.
11) Crusader 1. White Raven Tactics.
12) Master of Nine 1. Extra Granted Maneuver.
13) Master of Nine 2. Idiot Crusader (5 maneuvers known, 5 maneuvers granted).

You can spam WRT on every initiative count until only one person hasn't acted, and then delay to the top of the initiative count for the next round.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-17, 10:09 AM
If you want Dodge, for Eilistraee's sake, get one of the variant Dodge feats that counts as Dodge for prereqs, like Expeditious Dodge. Also, there's an armor ability that outright grants Mobility for cheap. Make sure to get that, while you're at it.

Goaty14
2018-04-17, 10:39 AM
In theory, many shot is a ranged attack is it not?
So if you manyshot with it it'd be multiple arrows per enemy...
And if you used this in conjunction with a ballista...

Maximum firepower attained. Or does a ballista not count as a bow?

A ballista counts as a huge sized crossbow.