PDA

View Full Version : Tiefling Bard Suggestions

iceman10058
2018-04-16, 03:02 AM
I'm currently playing a lvl 2 teifling Bard and I'm not too sure what school to enter. I was originally thinking college of whispers but he is looking to be more of a manipulative support character. Suggestions?

KillingTime
2018-04-16, 04:02 AM
Lore, Whispers and Glamour are all perfectly suited for manipulation and support. Just depends on what spells you choose and how you play it.

sophontteks
2018-04-16, 05:32 AM
All choices are good.

My tiefling went Glamour bard with devils tongue. If David Bowie was both bitten by a vampire and sold his soul to the devil to attain supernatural powers of seduction. You would have my tiefling glamour bard. Instead of having fey-like powers of supernatural beauty, its fiendish powers of supernatural beauty. I thinks its a good fit, espesially given that devils tongue tiefling already have some of the powers associated with this archtype.

iceman10058
2018-04-16, 05:47 AM
I was thinking Glamour Bard myself and will look Into it more. Whisper bards abilities just don't stack up quite right.

sophontteks
2018-04-16, 10:21 AM
I'd put whisper bards down as a good second option. No doubt the glamour is a battlefield control archtype and whispers is more rogue, but It also depends on what kind of face you want to be.

Whisper bards can make a creature frightened of you or another creature of your choice without knowledge for an hour. Thats a pretty serious debuff. Making demands from that creature afterwards would be much easier. Furthering your mean party face, you can take on the personalities of people you have killed and be as nasty to NPCs as you want. Use charm person all you want, make threats, fire the guards, sow ruin.

Glamour bards are instead focusing on seduction. They can suduce multiple peoppe in an audience who watch their seductive dance. Once seduced these people are utterly infatuated with you, and if thats not enough,you can show them your supernatural form of beauty and litterally command them without saves for a full minute. And they wouldn't even be aware that it was magic. As far as they know, they were just lost in your beauty.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-04-16, 12:53 PM
I chose the Lore College for my Tiefling Bard. Taking Expertise in Persuasion and Deception, along with the Enhance Ability spell for advantage on Charisma checks, usually gives me all the manipulation ability I need. And when it doesn't, there's the Suggestion spell, but any Bard can take that.

For support, Cutting Words is crazy useful. I can keep my allies from getting hit, or nerf their targets' saving throws when they cast a spell. For starters. It's also useful in skill v. skill contests.

You might want to have a 2nd look at the Lore College.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-04-16, 02:31 PM
Personally Whispers is my favorite bard. But glamour may be more your style. Whispers is very much more rogue than anything else, and Glamour is the bards bard.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-16, 02:44 PM
I chose the Lore College for my Tiefling Bard. Taking Expertise in Persuasion and Deception, along with the Enhance Ability spell for advantage on Charisma checks, usually gives me all the manipulation ability I need. And when it doesn't, there's the Suggestion spell, but any Bard can take that.

For support, Cutting Words is crazy useful. I can keep my allies from getting hit, or nerf their targets' saving throws when they cast a spell. For starters. It's also useful in skill v. skill contests.

You might want to have a 2nd look at the Lore College.

Lore Bards get more skill proficiencies than anyone else, which is nice if you want to spend one on Forgery or Disguise or something. Cutting Words is a very powerful combat ability combined with a spell like suggestion or phantasmal force.

Xihirli
2018-04-16, 06:39 PM
What's your party comp look like? Do you need a skill monkey?

iceman10058
2018-04-16, 11:03 PM
What's your party comp look like? Do you need a skill monkey?

We have a large party. There is a halforc ranger, wood elf ranger, human paladin, high elf warlock with fey pact, dragonborn rogue assassin, and a lizardfolk barbarian

sophontteks
2018-04-16, 11:18 PM
We have a large party. There is a halforc ranger, wood elf ranger, human paladin, high elf warlock with fey pact, dragonborn rogue assassin, and a lizardfolk barbarian

Your party is lacking in battlefield control. Glamour is looking all the better. Lore, of course, always fits too.

Xihirli
2018-04-16, 11:57 PM
Yeah Glamour's good.