PDA

View Full Version : Warlock going melee, magic item to help him?

Satsujinki
2018-04-16, 04:40 AM
Here is the deal, I(dm) have a Warlock (player), whom is going to undergo a change, by having a vision of the patron. He can choose to forego 2 invocation to gain an unarmed magical strike, that does 1d6 damage with extra attack. There are other features of the patron that support this, such as possibility to cast fire shield, +1hp x level etc. They should now find a single magic item, and I'd like to give something to incentivate him into undergoing this change, from the tome warlock EB, to a more hand to hand warlock with casting and such. Obviously in the end the choice is his.
The question I wanted to ask is: what magic item should I give him? Periapt of health? Something with a particular spell that would help him in melee?

Jerrykhor
2018-04-16, 04:48 AM
So his warlock is going to be punching people? That's an odd type of warlock, but whatever floats his boat. Maybe give him something to use on his reaction, like a Bracers of Parry that works like the Shield spell?

Unoriginal
2018-04-16, 05:11 AM
1d6 magical unarmed strikes? That's straight up better than taking a level in Monk.

To answer your question, i just need to know one thing: who will give the magic item?

Satsujinki
2018-04-16, 06:22 AM
1d6 magical unarmed strikes? That's straight up better than taking a level in Monk.

To answer your question, i just need to know one thing: who will give the magic item?

They will find it in a stack of stuff of an oni

Vogie
2018-04-16, 07:51 AM
Instead of doing just "1d6 to unarmed strikes", since they won't have an access to any type of extra attack ability (either as an invocation or through flurry of blows), I'd say it also gives something like the EK's War Magic ability. Something like:

You can use your action to make one weapon attack or unarmed strike and cast a cantrip as a bonus action.

Unoriginal
2018-04-16, 08:49 AM
They will find it in a stack of stuff of an oni

Then ask yourself: "what would an oni want as magic item?"

Maybe a Ring of Protection?

Crgaston
2018-04-16, 09:21 AM
Any kind of warlock will appreciate something that boosts spell slots, so a Ring of Spell Storing?