PDA

View Full Version : Gnome barbarian - path and feats

Contrast
2018-04-16, 07:37 AM
A couple of other barbarian threads inspired me to ask for some advice on some decisions I've been wrestling with.

I have a level 2 gnome barbarian (str 14, dex 16).

Next level I have to choose a path. Given the small size heavy weapons are denied me so I was looking at either berserker or zealot to help up the damage slightly. I'm leaning towards zealot as it potentially leaves my bonus action free for shield master and avoids exhaustion (AL so can't talk to the DM about houseruling it). The immunities for berserker are nice but as a gnome I'll already be getting adv on some of those saves.

Then looking ahead to level 4, I was thinking either boosting strength or picking up shield master. Shield master is very tempting but staying strength 14 until level 8 is pretty unappealing and would be less effective without the strength to back it up (though being a barbarian means it'll probably be fine really I guess). So far I've been using a rapier as finesse with a shield or swapping to handaxes when I'm looking to rage but its pretty clunky and I'd prefer not to have to faff about.

Opinions? Thoughts on options I haven't considered?

EvilAnagram
2018-04-16, 07:53 AM
Zealot works pretty well, but I would boost your strength. +5 to hit is usually what people start with, so you'd be at -2 compared to what the math of the CR system assumes.

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-16, 09:11 AM
Would your DM be open to a Gnome Battlerager? Those can be fun to roleplay.

As for feats, Shield Master can be great, but I agree that there should be an early push to up Str. After that point, take whatever you want, really. As you'll be all set in combat, so taking some fun out-of-combat feats can be fun, especially since you'll have a decent Int as a Gnome.

Diebo
2018-04-16, 12:30 PM
I think 14 STR is fine. Some day you'll hopefully find a belt or gloves to raise it. This isn't a huge damage build.

I'd go Ancestral Barbarian, Shield Master (4), Mobile (8), stats 14 STR, 14 DEX, 16 CON. Wear breast plate/shield for 18 AC w/o magic. Shield bash while raging with advantage to try to prone, then attack with advantage (makes up for lower strength) and with rage damage (makes up for lower strength). Most things don't have athletics; even with only 14 STR a shield bash will often succeed.

The real key to this player is finding the toughest opponent, run up, attack, and (especially when you get mobile) run elsewhere. If they are prone half their movement is taken just getting up. With Ancestral Guardian, all attacks made by the attacked opponent against anyone else is at disadvantage and if your party member gets hit they have a resistance to all damage done.

And if the opponent catches up to you, you can take it. Good AC, effectively double hit points. 45 movement with mobile and barbarian.

spidey329
2018-08-16, 08:41 PM
I decided to pick up the game after probably a decad or so away from it. I got the starter set to play with my kids and a few of their friends. Mostly, for a quick, inexpensive way to play until I’m sure they want to continue.
After using the pre-generated characters for a night or two, i decided to let them hand roll new ones. My oldest daughter decided she want to play a gnome barbarian. (Insert maniacal smile from her)
Sure, I let them re-roll 1’s once, but she practically rolled a beast of character.
I helped her place the stats, but this is what she ended up with...
STR: 18 DEX: 15 CON: 15 INT: 12 WIS: 13 CHA: 12
Plus her +2 INT bonus, making it 14
(18 was natural, no re-rolls)

I had to really.convince her she couldn’t take a great axe for a weapon. She was a little unhappy about that one.
“It’s just as tall as you and probably weighs the same.”

“So??”

We’ll be playing the new characters next weekend, so we’ll see how that goes.

My other daughter REALLY wanted to play a Tiefling Warlock.
She rolled 10, 12, 16, 16, 16, 17, plus racial modifiers....

Nobody wants to play the cleric anymore. I guess that’s up to dad, haha.

CTurbo
2018-08-16, 10:42 PM
I'd duel wield if I were to make a Gnome Barbarian. Zealot would be fun. Bear totem is great if not boring. Wolf is great if you have another hard hitting striker in your group. Elk would be fun to have so much extra speed.

Anyway, I played a Halfling Barb and took Mobile for extra speed and hit and run when I wasnt raging. I stood strong though while raging and also liked to climb the enemies and bash their head.

TWF works for Barbs though as you still get the rage bonus damage with your off hand. I'd use a pair of handaxes since you can throw them too.

You could just max Dex and use Dex, but I'd probably pump Str instead. Sure you'd always be an ASI behind but its work out ok.

MagneticKitty
2018-08-17, 12:33 PM
What is your wisdom? You could moon druid and hulk out into a bear and rage.

Rogue barb is a good choice too. Strength rapier.
Since you're already that far in to dex I'd try for best a.c. possible. Maybe add fighter in for defense fighting style if you use armor. I would have suggested dex 14 and medium armor.. but you can go light armor

How's your charisma? You could add paladin since you can smite while raging

Ganymede
2018-08-17, 01:00 PM
Opinions? Thoughts on options I haven't considered?

Have you thought about the source of your gnome PC's fury? If you can answer that, it'll be a lot easier to pick a primal path, and a lot easier for us to give you meaningful advice.