PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Eldritch Scoundrel vs Rogue/Wizard

DirtyMcR
2018-04-16, 11:24 AM
So, I'm wanting to get a design together for a character. He's going to be the primary trap handling individual. And stupid Pathfinder had to go and ruin the simplicity of a rogue with a bunch of great options and then throw the Trapfinder trait into the mix.
Trapfinding is a MUST. Starting level is 3. I'm not overly concerned about damage dealing. I'm mostly going to be
I'm juggling with the eldritch scoundrel, sure there are other things out there, but I'm honestly not sure what I should even be putting on the spell list or traits to select. I'm honestly not overly concerned with even having sneak attack, I'm looking at more of a passing with out a trace, breaking and entering, getting what I need and going on my way.
But then there is the wizard. Yeah, I know, but it's not what you think. Taking the teleport specialization and you can get into almost anywhere you can see. Peek into a window and BAM! you're in.
The eldritch scoundrel could get a more limited effect from the psionic hidden talent or whatever it's called that gives the couple of power points as well as the access to a power. I'm just stuck developmentally. I've read the handbooks that my network lets me pull up, and do see other options, but I'm looking to keep at a low number of classes and nominal damage output.
I'm thinking of a Sylph. Socially awkward, but intellectually competent.
Regardless, what I'm looking for is some low level spell selection, traits, feats, stats are 25 point buy.
Thank you playgrounders for your input.

exelsisxax
2018-04-16, 11:35 AM
Help you with.. what? As you mentioned, trap finder is a trait. So the answer to the only meaningful question is: literally any combination of classes and archetypes. You haven't said what you want and what you don't, no requirements or stipulations listed, and there's no goal here.

Please elaborate on what the goal actually is.

Psyren
2018-04-16, 11:37 AM
Trapfinding is a MUST.

May I ask why? This is a common stipulation in 3.5, but it's not nearly as necessary in Pathfinder.

DirtyMcR
2018-04-16, 11:43 AM
I am looking for advice on spells, feats, and traits.
Namely the spells. I've got the ability to pull up the spells, but due to my internet, it's just ALL of the spells. No method of breaking them down by school or level. Just alphabetical.
Trapfinding is needed due to the DM house mechanics.

exelsisxax
2018-04-16, 11:47 AM
Namely the spells. I've got the ability to pull up the spells, but due to my internet, it's just ALL of the spells. No method of breaking them down by school or level. Just alphabetical.

How? Please tell me what you want. I don't know what character you are making, so I cannot help you. Advice cannot be offered when the problem has not been posed. Elaborate on your goals. Do you want to deal damage? To control social situations? To not get TPK'd with the rest of your party? What is this supposed to do?

Why do you think trapfinding is irreplaceable? It seems that such a discussion could well be more important.

Psyren
2018-04-16, 11:57 AM

It's a bit silly to blame Pathfinder for your GM's houserules I think. A lot of archetypes drop trapfinding, but it's not nearly as important as groups coming from 3.5 think it is. I would recommend making your GM aware of this intentional change.

If you can get to this website you can get to a wizard handbook - look through the 1-6 level spells for some good choices.

Elkad
2018-04-16, 12:01 PM
I did this recently (and had a thread here), but it was my first PF game.

Eldritch Scoundrel vs Rogue1/Wizard3/ArcaneTrickster is very even at the early levels (taking Accomplished Sneak Attacker at CL3 to get your 2d6).

I went with the Scoundrel option, but I think the multiclass option is technically stronger.

Kurald Galain
2018-04-16, 01:07 PM
I'm not overly concerned about damage dealing ... I'm honestly not overly concerned with even having sneak attack
Then you probably shouldn't play a rogue :smallbiggrin:

Here are some spell tips, then (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus). Look in particular under skill spells and toolbox spells, and don't forget the section on spells from other classes.

Baroncognito
2018-04-16, 02:37 PM
Well, if you want to be an arcane spellcaster with Trapfinding, you also have these options:

Seeker archetype Sorcerer: You get Trapfinding at level 1, you lose your third level bloodline power and your fifteenth level bloodline power. Since you don't get many skill points, I'd recommend also taking the Wildblooded Archetype and the Sage route so that you get intelligence based casting and the bonus skill points from a high intelligence.

Archaeologist archetype Bard: You get Clever Explorer at level 2, Trap sense at level 3, and a rogue talent at level 4, allowing you to take Trap Spotting. Clever Explorer is Trapfinding but better, because the perception bonus applies to everything, not just finding traps, and also makes you faster at disabling devices. Downside is that you don't get disable device as a class skill, but that can be fixed with a trait (I like vagabond child for it).

Questioner archetype Investigator: You get intelligence based bardic magic instead of alchemy. And Trap spotting is an investigator talent. This is a pretty solid option.

Wizard variant multiclass rogue (to arcane trickster): You get trapfinding at level three and you can enter arcane trickster at level 10 without losing any casting levels. You just get no feats at all, so that's kind of a downside.