PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Magic Items That Act Like Cohorts/Companions/Mounts

Thurbane
2018-04-16, 02:36 PM
So, looking for magic items that act as "companions" of a sort.

Figurines of Wondrous Power
Stone Horse
Intelligent items

I should make it clear, looking for magic items, not constructs such as Golems or Homunculus etc.

Cheers - T

Elkad
2018-04-16, 02:45 PM
Stone/Brazier/etc of Controlling Elementals
Amber Amulet of Vermin

Wands/staves with summon spells.

Vizzerdrix
2018-04-16, 03:04 PM
Minor servitor can turn objects into the supporting cast from Beauty and the Beast.

Also, someplace Ive seen a spell that copies a mind into an item so it functions as sort of a poor mans intelegent item. Dont remember where though. Think it was a faerun book.

One more thing! A&EG has the beetle buckler.

Darrin
2018-04-16, 03:05 PM
I started an old mini-guide on this awhile back:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?120298-Easy-Rider-Using-Magic-Items-as-Mounts

I think the Gold Beetle and Ivory Camel were stand-outs, largely because you can activate them round-to-round, and aren't tied down to a particular number of uses per week or month or whatever. If you're in an aquatic environment, the Coral Zeuglodon is an absolute beast at 42K GP. Oh, and if you go with the Brass Steed, remember to park it in your campfire overnight.

unseenmage
2018-04-16, 03:12 PM
There are intelligent creature Grafts IIRC.

About constructs if the Constructs are Magic Items rules interpretation is in play using constructs as Embedded Warforged Components changes their nature a bit.

Don't remember where but there is an alternate rule for summoners that let's them call forth the same creature over and over instead of a random exemplar of its race.

Also, someplace Ive seen a spell that copies a mind into an item so it functions as sort of a poor mans intelegent item. Dont remember where though. Think it was a faerun book.

Dragons of Faerun web enhancement IIRC.

Nifft
2018-04-16, 03:17 PM
I should make it clear, looking for magic items, not constructs such as Golems or Homunculus etc.

Eberron has symbiotes which have a magic item prices, and also personalities (usually LE).

Fiend Folio also has symbiotes (albeit without prices), one of which is the Fiendish Familiar that looks like an evil face attached somewhere on your body, and can explicitly tutor you in magic.

Elkad
2018-04-16, 03:18 PM

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?120298-Easy-Rider-Using-Magic-Items-as-Mounts

If you can still edit that post from nearly a decade ago, can you change the www. in the wizards links to archive. ?

I know to do them manually, but many people don't.

unseenmage
2018-04-16, 03:26 PM

That Paper of Forms is a nice find. There are several templates that power up animals that don't change their type. Half-Machine from Dragon Mag being one of my favorites.
I added note about it to my random animals & templates link in my sig.

Zaq
2018-04-16, 08:47 PM
Clockwork Steed from MM4!

I mean, they're constructs, but they're explicitly just something you can purchase for the right price, and unlike most other priced constructs in the various monster books, they're super affordable even by a lowish-level character, so I think of them as being close to being items. They're also INT — and don't have a berserk clause, so you don't have to worry about them being too rebellious.

peacenlove
2018-04-17, 05:26 AM
Cloak of Shadow (Planar handbook p.82, and not to be confused with themore popular Shadow cloak), gives for 75k gp incorporealness, +/- 5 Hide and a permanent greater shadow loyal* companion, that rejuvenates after a week when slain and you can call it back to cloak form.

*until you travel to the Plane of Shadow where it instantly betrays you. Just retract to cloak form if you plan to travel there.

Fuzzy McCoy
2018-04-17, 10:57 AM
Since I just saw Aladdin, let's not forget the humble carpet of flying.

DrMotives
2018-04-17, 04:31 PM
Stormwrack has figureheads for ships that animate into temporary constructs.

Thurbane
2018-04-17, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, all good stuff to look into! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/sand/icons/icon_thumbsup.png