PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's expression in Strip 4

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-02, 02:58 PM
:smallsmile: I know this is a minor detail, but I really liked the expression on Durkon's face in panel 5 of strip 4. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0004.html It's sort of an innocent, kind of sheepish, apologetic face, a mix of these three: :smalleek: :smallfrown: :smallsmile: I know the strip was a bit sloppy back in the early days, but if that face was cleaned up it would be a really cool addition to the OotS smiley family.

What do you think?

Kurald Galain
2007-09-02, 04:28 PM
What I find funny in strip 4 is that Elan does not know how to pronounce "competence"...

Accountant
2007-09-02, 05:10 PM
Also, I always thought that Elan's hair looked really wierd in the first panel.

Spiryt
2007-09-02, 05:14 PM
Also, I always thought that Elan's hair looked really wierd in the first panel.

Crap, another thing I never noticed!

Yeah he looks kinda like, I don't know, Kurt Russel?

Elfanatic
2007-09-02, 05:43 PM
:smallsmile: I know this is a minor detail, but I really liked the expression on Durkon's face in panel 5 of strip 4. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0004.html It's sort of an innocent, kind of sheepish, apologetic face, a mix of these three: :smalleek: :smallfrown: :smallsmile: I know the strip was a bit sloppy back in the early days, but if that face was cleaned up it would be a really cool addition to the OotS smiley family.

What do you think?

I don't know about that particulair expression. But I agree that Durkon needs a distinct expression as a smilie. Except for V he is the only 'bland' smilie. Well, unless we count the MitD, Xykon and the Demon Roach, but they don't even have faces.

wojonatior
2007-09-02, 06:19 PM
that is a very weird expression.

Icewalker
2007-09-02, 07:04 PM
I don't know about that particulair expression. But I agree that Durkon needs a distinct expression as a smilie. Except for V he is the only 'bland' smilie. Well, unless we count the MitD, Xykon and the Demon Roach, but they don't even have faces.

The impression I got from his first post was that it be added to the neutral smiley family (:smallredface: :smallmad: :smallfurious: :smallfrown: :smalleek: :smallcool: etc)

yeah, I can see it getting some use. (The one I'd like is something along the lines of >.> As in, averting eyes shamefully, kind of...)

Theodoriph
2007-09-02, 08:12 PM
I like Durkon's current smiley. It fits his personality. :smalltongue:

CasESenSITItiVE
2007-09-02, 10:59 PM

MITD does have a face, it's just hidden

Firestar27
2007-09-04, 11:25 AM
The impression I got from his first post was that it be added to the neutral smiley family (:smallredface: :smallmad: :smallfurious: :smallfrown: :smalleek: :smallcool: etc)

yeah, I can see it getting some use. (The one I'd like is something along the lines of >.> As in, averting eyes shamefully, kind of...)

The neutral smiley family (the forum smileys) are redone versions of smileys used in the comic. If it is used enough in the comic, it became a smiley (with a few exceptions, such the incredible terror smiley ((like the normal terror but with an extra line)))

Roderick_BR
2007-09-05, 06:57 AM
A bit off topic, but seeing that strip again, I noticed that Roy carries Durkon when they flee (Belkar even comments once that it's cool to be carried to places).
My question is, does Roy really needs to carry Durkon? Since 3.5, dwarves doesn't get the same speed penalty others characters get in medium and heavy armor, so Durkon has the same speed Roy have, assuming Roy wears a heavy armor.

Kyle
2007-09-05, 08:08 AM
Well, at that point, they'd only been upgraded to 3.5 four a couple hours at the most, where as Roy and Durkon had been adventuring together for quite some time. Perhaps it was simply force of habit?

Alternativly, Roy might be wearing a mitheral breastplate. He is able to keep up with Haley, Elan and V, all of whom are medium size and wear light or no armour. Of course, something would have to account for the fact that Belkar can keep up with them as well, as he wouldn't have Fast Movement yet, and he's obviously not wearing Boots of Speed.

Seeker
2007-09-05, 03:46 PM
Well, at that point, they'd only been upgraded to 3.5 four a couple hours at the most, where as Roy and Durkon had been adventuring together for quite some time. Perhaps it was simply force of habit?

Alternativly, Roy might be wearing a mitheral breastplate. He is able to keep up with Haley, Elan and V, all of whom are medium size and wear light or no armour. Of course, something would have to account for the fact that Belkar can keep up with them as well, as he wouldn't have Fast Movement yet, and he's obviously not wearing Boots of Speed.

A few HOURS? They have slept, ya know. Perhaps the 'players' have been in 3,5 for a few hours, but in the context of the strip it has been more then a day, perhaps more then a week.

squidthingy
2007-09-05, 03:53 PM
MITD does have a face, it's just hidden

that's what you think

DUN DUN DUN

Mr_Saturn
2007-09-05, 03:59 PM
You posting that made me go back to the archives...AGAIN!

And i found this expression of belkar to be quite funny too.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0013.html

Last panel of course.

Kyle
2007-09-05, 06:26 PM
A few HOURS? They have slept, ya know. Perhaps the 'players' have been in 3,5 for a few hours, but in the context of the strip it has been more then a day, perhaps more then a week.
Rereading the archives, I don't see any indication between their 3.5 update in strip one and Roy carrying Durkon in strip four to indicate that they've slept. Nor is there a bonus strip in 'Dungeon Crawlin' Fools'. Perhaps you're privy to some insider knowledge to which I'm not aware?

Elandegenerate
2007-09-05, 06:56 PM
the precence of the eyebrow/stresslines thingies, gave me the impression (though not a strong one) that that was an "innocent-i have no ranks in bluff and bad charisma so im gonna keep my mouth shut" kinda face

again, not a strong impression, but i think that was the intention, not necissarily a neutral one

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-07, 10:07 PM
You posting that made me go back to the archives...AGAIN!

And i found this expression of belkar to be quite funny too.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0013.html

Last panel of course.

I love that one, it's only been used a few times other than that, and I LOVE it.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0310.html << Example

I actually like it in strip 13 more than strip 310, it seems more natural somehow.

basilisk 89
2007-09-09, 06:25 PM
I love that one, it's only been used a few times other than that, and I LOVE it.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0310.html << Example

I actually like it in strip 13 more than strip 310, it seems more natural somehow.

What I found ironic about that sentence is that 310 is 13 backwards.:smallamused: