PDA

View Full Version : Master Of the Unseen hand throwing enemys into ceilings

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-16, 04:53 PM
Fling Skyward (Ex): Rather than hurling a creature toward another target, a 5th-level master of the unseen hand can use the violent thrust version of telekinesis to hurl a creature straight up. A target is allowed a Will save (and spell resistance) to negate the effect. The master of the unseen hand can lift a creature into the air a maximum distance of 10 feet per caster level. At the beginning of the character’s next action, the creature falls to the ground, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet fallen. Unlike other times when a master of the unseen hand uses the violent thrust version of telekinesis, flinging a foe skyward immediately ends the telekinesis effect.

Looking at this skill one part says to Hurl a creature up into the air and another says lift the creature up into the air.

So my question is if I throw an enemy up into the air (like in a dungeon or cave) Does it get hurt for being flung x/height into a hard surface?

Or

Is it they would be flung up to x/height if able and they dont get hurt cause they stop at a lower height?

Falontani
2018-04-16, 05:01 PM
There is no RAW answer;
Ask your DM

My personal judgement on this would be to deal the remaining distance of height in fall damage (to the maximum of 20d6) and then do the fall damage of however far it is to the ground. So if your CL is 15 and you throw the creature 150 ft up; the cave is 30 ft tall, meaning the creature would take 12d6 fall damage from hitting the ceiling, and then an additional 3d6 fall damage from falling the 30 ft to the floor. As always remember that fall damage goes both ways, it also damages the ceiling and the floor, so you may cause some of the ceiling to be damaged and fall on him causing further pain.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-16, 05:03 PM
Thanks. I'll reach out to the DM and see what he has to say about it. Cause i can see tons of fun with the effect if it works that way lol

PacMan2247
2018-04-16, 05:53 PM
There is no RAW answer;
Ask your DM

My personal judgement on this would be to deal the remaining distance of height in fall damage (to the maximum of 20d6) and then do the fall damage of however far it is to the ground. So if your CL is 15 and you throw the creature 150 ft up; the cave is 30 ft tall, meaning the creature would take 12d6 fall damage from hitting the ceiling, and then an additional 3d6 fall damage from falling the 30 ft to the floor. As always remember that fall damage goes both ways, it also damages the ceiling and the floor, so you may cause some of the ceiling to be damaged and fall on him causing further pain.

Hard agree to the first statement. To present a dissenting opinion on the second:

The Fling Skyward feature allows a Master of the Unseen Hand to lift a creature a maximum of 10 feet per caster level. Since it doesn't state any effect for dealing with environmental instructions, there's no reason to assume there would be any interaction; you're artificially limited to a lower drop.

I think both of these answers are a little too extreme. Personally, I'd lean toward falling damage being the same in both directions: if you're only able to toss someone up 30 feet, they take damage as for falling the same distance, and drop at the beginning of your next action as stated in the class feature.

Necroticplague
2018-04-16, 10:42 PM
Fling Skyward is still using the Violent Thrust feature of TK. The SRD has this under that section:

Creatures who fall within the weight capacity of the spell can be hurled, but they are allowed Will saves (and spell resistance) to negate the effect, as are those whose held possessions are targeted by the spell. If a telekinesed creature is hurled against a solid surface, it takes damage as if it had fallen 10 feet (1d6 points).
So they take 1d6 damage from hitting the ceiling, then some more d6 when they fall at the start of next turn.

Darrin
2018-04-17, 07:42 AM
So they take 1d6 damage from hitting the ceiling, then some more d6 when they fall at the start of next turn.

Why would they fall at the start of next turn? If you just slam them against the ceiling and let them drop, wouldn't that happen on the same turn?

Necroticplague
2018-04-17, 01:34 PM
Why would they fall at the start of next turn? If you just slam them against the ceiling and let them drop, wouldn't that happen on the same turn?

Because Fling Skywatd says they fall at the beginning of a next turn, so it is. I’m not clear on whether it means your next turn or there turn, though.

Venger
2018-04-17, 06:26 PM
Because Fling Skywatd says they fall at the beginning of a next turn, so it is. I’m not clear on whether it means your next turn or there turn, though.

it's your next turn. you're referred to as "the character" and the person you're victimizing is "the creature."