PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Search and destroy

Lacka
2018-04-16, 05:36 PM
This guide is a wannabe optimizers attempt at making a movespeed/percepcion build!
So since I got my hand on the 5e rules I had 2 builds in my mind separately, a movespeed non-monk and an all seeing eye.
To my surprise I just realized its possible with 1 character.
So here it goes:
With point buy you want to go for 15/12/15/8/12/8 (1 point left with not much use (I would put it in Dex or Chr)) and woodelf (so your final array: 15/14/15/8/13/8) with Hermit (or almost anything you like) background. I personally would take Outlander for RP or anything with 2 languages. But if you go for full min-max hermit is good with 1 language, medicine and herbalism kit will add a lot of options.
From this on you go ranger4/barbarian5/rogue10(last level in rogue or barbarian) with scout for rogue archetype and Gloom Stalker for ranger archetype in almost any order. For barbarian path you can take almost anything but path of the storm herald and berserker rely on bonus actions and you will have much better things to do with that!
Let's go through all the important things:
This build gets 5 ASI-s and for the full experience I recommend picking shield master, mobile and observant as early as possible later leveling STR and CON to 16 then boosting STR to 18.
Weapon choices range from rapier (or any fines weapon) to whip (for extra style points (full Indiana Jones feel))
For armor you go breastplate + shield and with 2 dex your AC is 18. Medium armor proficiency is from starting barbarian or ranger or when multiclassing to ranger.
Picking survival and nature proficiencies is not advised because becoming a scout gives expertise in both fields.
For rogue expertise pick athletics and perception in the first round and stealth and something you like at 6th level.
Fighting styles are almost all good except two-weapon fighting. From the numbers standpoint I think defense is the best.
Being a 4th level ranger means you know 3 spells (+1 from archetype) and you can cast 3 spells so it's not that overwhelming. I suggest taking: longstrider, zephyr strike, ensnaring strike (or for utility snare or alarm)
For last level compare barbarian path feature to reliable talent. Both has advantages. Ancestral guardian and zealot gives good stuff while totem barbarian lvl6 path features all give a good customization (eagle works pretty well with this build)
Stats:
AC: 18-19
HP: 177-183
Speed: 35 (woodelf) + 10 (mobile) + 10 (Barbarian 5) + 10 (scoutt 9) (+ 10 combat 1st round(gloom stalker) + 10 longstrider) = 65 (+ 20 conditional)
Shield bash: 4 (STR) + 2*6 (proficiency) with advantage when raging (and min 10 + 16 with reliable talent)
Passive perception: 10 + 2 (WIS) + 2*6 (proficiency) + 5 (Observant) = 29
Dark vision: 90 feet
Observant gives you lip reading, with lot of languages (and maybe aspect of the eagle) gives you the best "scout" experience.
Reckless attack for on demand advantage!

Extra synergies: If you feel like getting surprised all the time you can forgo getting an ASI and go for barbarian 7 with feral instinct.
If you roll high for stats and can allow 1 other feat mage slayer (maybe sentinel) makes you a super disruptor.
There are lot of good magic items but my favourites are sentinel shield, weapon of warning and boots of speed.
Kiting is super strong in this edition so use it if you can.
If you just want to play with the enemy you can just go around knocking 3 people prone/turn :D

Drawbacks: Concentration spells from ranger don't mix well with rage.
Having so many classes makes you a bit unfocused.
Using nature/survival/medicine for gathering herbs and stuff is quite DM dependent
Saves are a weak point in this build

Overall: I want to try this at a table because it sounds fun and with a lot of RP potential.

P.S.: Sorry for my english and all the mistakes I probably made, I'm kinda new to this edition. Also I only use stuff from PHB and Xanathar.

Quoz
2018-04-17, 01:37 AM
So to clean this up a bit, the goal is to see anything coming and move very fast for hit and move tactics.

The all seeing eye part is simple to add on almost any build. Expertise (1 level of rogue or 3 of bard is easiest, prodigy feat for available) and the observant feat gives 15+Wis+(2× proficiency).

The move fast part is more complicated. There are a lot of options, you just want to have as many available to you as possible without crippling your character in other ways.

For race, wood elf is good but Tabaxi from Volos is the king sprinter. Doubling your move for a round is probably better than an extra five feet, even if it is usable less often. Aarockra from elemental evil start with fly speed and are probably the overall best choice.

For class features you hit a lot of them. Rogue, barbarian, ranger and monk all get extra move. But trying to grab them all leaves you a little thin. I would go a little less there and go for spellcasting to get haste, which both doubles your speed and let's you take potentially 3 dash actions. Rogue can get there through arcane trickster, but otherwise you want 5 levels in sorcerer or wizard. Wizard also gets concentration free longstrider but sorcerer gets quickened casting.

So lots of areas to grab from. An eagle-eyed speedster could be a lot of fun but make sure you have something to do with it. For pure style, I would go Aarockra wizard (bladesinger)/Rogue. Low levels you can flyby sneak attacks with booming blade for loud and flashy attacks. At higher levels you will be near impossible to pin down. They can't outrun you. They can't hide from you. Most of the time they won't even be able to attack you.

Well, now I want to play one too.

Lacka
2018-04-20, 07:42 PM
For race, wood elf is good but Tabaxi from Volos is the king sprinter. Doubling your move for a round is probably better than an extra five feet, even if it is usable less often. Aarockra from elemental evil start with fly speed and are probably the overall best choice.

I don't have Volos but it really sounds better to double movespeed and maybe a flying grappling build can be made too.

For class features you hit a lot of them. Rogue, barbarian, ranger and monk all get extra move. But trying to grab them all leaves you a little thin. I would go a little less there and go for spellcasting to get haste, which both doubles your speed and let's you take potentially 3 dash actions. Rogue can get there through arcane trickster, but otherwise you want 5 levels in sorcerer or wizard. Wizard also gets concentration free longstrider but sorcerer gets quickened casting.

I have the same feeling that having so many low level classes reduces the overall face to face fighting value.Making a gish sounds MAD but can work. Also having enhance ability to get advantage on wisdom (percepcion) checks for sorcerer (Bards?). Other than that if you go the basic build you can still get a haste from a teammate making you bullet fast :D