PDA

View Full Version : Can hit point maximum decrease with level?

JoeJ
2018-04-16, 10:10 PM
Suppose a character has a Constitution score of 3, for a modifier of -4. As they go up in level, if they roll less than 4 hp does their hit point maximum go down? Is it possible for a character to die that way? Common sense would suggest no; there should be a minimum gain of 1 hp per level, but I can't find anything in the text that states that.

2D8HP
2018-04-16, 10:21 PM
Yes, the

So apparently JC says you can lose HP on level up now... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?544254-So-apparently-JC-says-you-can-lose-HP-on-level-up-now)

thread was about that.

Kane0
2018-04-16, 10:21 PM
Wouldn't you take average if that were the case?
It looks possible, but i'd check with your DM.

Or kill off your character and try again without a miserable Con.

Matrix_Walker
2018-04-16, 10:22 PM
There is no such rule. There was a tweet indicating that it is in fact possible to lose HP upon leveling,

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/938885709783384064?lang=en

Edit: ShadowMonked!

JoeJ
2018-04-16, 10:52 PM
Yes, the

So apparently JC says you can lose HP on level up now... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?544254-So-apparently-JC-says-you-can-lose-HP-on-level-up-now)

thread was about that.

Wow. Not that it's likely to come up as long as the player can take the average instead of rolling. Still, a wizard with a Constitution of 3 will have 2 precious hit points at level 20, which would be hilarious. (And i would be deeply in awe of a player who could advance their wizard to level 20 without ever having more than 2 hit point) Watch out for those house cats!

rbstr
2018-04-17, 10:29 AM
5e has never had any sort of rule that says there's a minimum of HP gained. Some people think there's a minimum...but there's not and there hasn't been. (It's also just shy of being completely inconsequential)
It's like that Berenstein Bears thing - it's actually Berenstain. Lots of people are just wrong and have never checked. :smalleek:

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-17, 10:33 AM
5e has never had any sort of rule that says there's a minimum of HP gained. Some people think there's a minimum...but there's not and there hasn't been. (It's also just shy of being completely inconsequential)
It's like that Berenstein Bears thing - it's actually Berenstain. Lots of people are just wrong and have never checked. :smalleek:

It's like if the first 30 versions actually were Berenstein Bears and then suddenly it became Berenstain.

Matrix_Walker
2018-04-17, 10:39 AM
It's like if the first 30 versions actually were Berenstein Bears and then suddenly it became Berenstain.

That's wrong, it's always been Berenstain. It was written by Stan and Jan Berenstain.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-17, 10:45 AM
That's wrong, it's always been Berenstain. It was written by Stan and Jan Berenstain.

Yeah, I know, but the rule about minimum hp gain on a levelup has existed since the 1970s and only went away in 5E.

BoringInfoGuy
2018-04-17, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I know, but the rule about minimum hp gain on a levelup has existed since the 1970s and only went away in 5E.

That is the biggest trap players of previous editions can fall into with 5e. Rules that you would assume should be there, but aren’t.

For example, I read and reread the combat and magic sections repeatedly trying to see if casting a spell next to an enemy really did not provoke an attack of opportunity anymore.

This is true of any edition change to a degree, but 5e seems really good at tripping up 3.x players.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-17, 12:28 PM
That is the biggest trap players of previous editions can fall into with 5e. Rules that you would assume should be there, but aren’t.

For example, I read and reread the combat and magic sections repeatedly trying to see if casting a spell next to an enemy really did not provoke an attack of opportunity anymore.

This is true of any edition change to a degree, but 5e seems really good at tripping up 3.x players.

I would have been surprised and pleased to see an errata-style document pointing out changes from the 3rd and 4th editions.

BoringInfoGuy
2018-04-18, 11:33 PM
I would have been surprised and pleased to see an errata-style document pointing out changes from the 3rd and 4th editions.

A list of changes from the beginning to now would be interesting.

But I would not include 4th edition. It was designed to be a complete redesign of the game, a new build from the ground up.

Most editions can be compared to doing a remodel of your home. 4th was more like tearing down the old structure to put up a brand new building - with just a few nods to the old design to keep the name.

RazorChain
2018-04-18, 11:40 PM
Suppose a character has a Constitution score of 3, for a modifier of -4. As they go up in level, if they roll less than 4 hp does their hit point maximum go down? Is it possible for a character to die that way? Common sense would suggest no; there should be a minimum gain of 1 hp per level, but I can't find anything in the text that states that.

Of course! This is just realistic, with Con 3 you shouldn't be adventuring, you should be in bed awaiting your death. Now the excitement of experiencing advenutre has lead to your demise. RIP.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-19, 09:06 AM
A list of changes from the beginning to now would be interesting.

But I would not include 4th edition. It was designed to be a complete redesign of the game, a new build from the ground up.

Most editions can be compared to doing a remodel of your home. 4th was more like tearing down the old structure to put up a brand new building - with just a few nods to the old design to keep the name.

To be clear, I meant one document for each. A changes from 3.5->5, and another for 4->5.

Willie the Duck
2018-04-19, 11:30 AM

That would imply that the expected model of discovering 5th edition D&D was to have come from 3rd or 4th edition. Given WotC's fairly obvious if not outright stated strategy was been to bring in new gamers or TSR-era people lost during the 3e/4e era, I think that would be seen as counterproductive.

Honestly, I believe the prevailing logic is 'just because the game rules allow something ridiculous to come up does not mean that another extraneous rule has to be implemented to prevent it.'

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-19, 11:39 AM
That would imply that the expected model of discovering 5th edition D&D was to have come from 3rd or 4th edition. Given WotC's fairly obvious if not outright stated strategy was been to bring in new gamers or TSR-era people lost during the 3e/4e era, I think that would be seen as counterproductive.

I don't think publishing an errata-style document on the website would have implied any such thing.