PDA

View Full Version : Druids and concentration

KnotaGuru
2018-04-16, 10:23 PM
Planning a character for Tomb of Annihilation and I was set on playing a druid. I wanted to be more caster focused, but as I was putting together spell lists I noticed nearly all the druid's spells require concentration. I haven't played a druid in 5e before, nor have I seen one being played. So how do you play a druid? Cast one of your concentration spells and then what?

Xihirli
2018-04-16, 10:43 PM
You can blast with cantrips like Frostbite or Poison Spray, melee with Shillelagh, heal your allies with CW and Healing Word, attack with Ice Knife, and control the battlefield with Earth Tremor.

hymer
2018-04-17, 01:06 AM
I have a section discussing Concentration in my druid handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd). Post 4. Xihirli has given you the short-short version already. :smallsmile:

Cespenar
2018-04-17, 02:27 AM
Also, to explain the idea behind the short explanation very crudely:

When preparing spells, be aware of which of them are concentration and which are not. Be sure to prepare some non-con ones besides the con ones, so that you'll have some spells to fling while you're concentrating on a spell.

If all else fails, you have your cantrips to fall back to.

tieren
2018-04-17, 07:46 AM
Also depends on the type of druid, moon druids for instance might cast a concentration spell at the beginning of combat before shifting into an animal form to fight while concentrating even though they can't cast in animal form (until really high level).

Some land druids might summon their flock of pixies, then shift themselves into something innocuous (field mouse or snail) so they can't be found to break their concentration on the summons (who will be wrecking house).

Strangways
2018-04-17, 08:04 AM
Planning a character for Tomb of Annihilation and I was set on playing a druid. I wanted to be more caster focused, but as I was putting together spell lists I noticed nearly all the druid's spells require concentration. I haven't played a druid in 5e before, nor have I seen one being played. So how do you play a druid? Cast one of your concentration spells and then what?

Druids will typically maintain a concentration spell in battle while doing something else, whether melee (with Shillelagh or Wild Shape), cantrips (e.g. Thornwhip), or healing. Druids have few instant direct damage spells (like a wizard's Lightning Bolt or Fireball). So playing a Druid isn't just pumping out damage spells like a Sorcerer or Wizard. It's a different play style which has the benefit of being very slot-efficient.

KnotaGuru
2018-04-17, 09:10 AM
I think druids have a great spell list for controlling the battlefield, just realizing there's not much to do after that. Conjure animals lasts 1 hour, so during that hour the druid can't cast any level 2 damage spell (they all require concentration), and the only damaging level 1 spells are ice knife and thunderwave, which are AoE and could hurt your allies. ToA goes to level 10 or 11. So looking over level 5 spells and under, we've got:

Cantrips: guidance
Level 1: entangle, faerie fire, fog cloud
Level 2: flaming sphere, hold person, moonbeam, healing spirit, enhance ability, gust of wind, heat metal
Level 3: conjure animals, call lighting, sleet storm
Level 4: conjure woodland beings, polymorph, wall of fire, watery sphere, stoneskin
Level 5: conjure elemental, insect plague, maelstrom, wall of stone.

This is an awesome list of spells, but no 2 of them can be in effect at the same time. For combat, that leaves:

Cantrips (only start the game with 2): shillelagh, produce flame, thorn whip, poison spray....
Level 1: ice knife, earth tremor, thunderwave, healing word
Level 2: -------
Level 3: erupting earth, tidal wave
Level 4: ice storm
Level 5: -------

That's a slim list of things a druid can do once they cast a concentration spell. And once again, the damaging spells are AoE and could hurt allies.

Vogie
2018-04-17, 10:10 AM
If you're going to be a blaster, I'd highly suggest either a 1 level MC into another caster class or the Magic Initiate feat to pick up more Leveling Cantrips. Toll the Dead, Sacred flame, Acid Splash, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure, Ray of Frost, Chill Touch, Eldritch Blast... you've got a wide variety outside of the Poison Spray/Infestation/Frostbite/Produce flame that Druids get

hymer
2018-04-17, 11:06 AM
This is an awesome list of spells, but no 2 of them can be in effect at the same time. For combat, that leaves:

Cantrips (only start the game with 2): shillelagh, produce flame, thorn whip, poison spray....
Level 1: ice knife, earth tremor, thunderwave, healing word
Level 2: -------
Level 3: erupting earth, tidal wave
Level 4: ice storm
Level 5: -------

That's a slim list of things a druid can do once they cast a concentration spell. And once again, the damaging spells are AoE and could hurt allies.

You may also want to consider (and don't let the names fool you - speak with plants has definite combat potential):
1: Absorb elements, charm person, cure wounds, earth tremor, jump, longstrider
2: Lesser restoration, protection from poison
3: Dispel magic, meld into stone, plant growth, speak with plants
4: Blight, charm monster, freedom of movement, stone shape
5: Contagion, mass cure wounds, transmute rock

HMS Invincible
2018-04-17, 12:53 PM
MXihirli, I looked through your guide and the female steeder caught my eye. I keep thinking you can do fancy stuff with it's leap and sticky leg. Maybe grapple someone, and then next turn dash-leap into the sky? 90ft fall should hurt.

Op remember not to use concentration spells and Wade into melee. Your concentration isn't good enough to take the hits.