PDA

View Full Version : Help with non-human lycanthropes

evnaz
2018-04-17, 02:48 AM
I'm very new to 5e with a small background in 3.5e however with a new campaign starting soon I'd like to revise an old character of fine

he was a kobold werecrow

I was wondering how I'd be able to stat for no-human races since it doesn't state much in the MM on it and what is does say is fairly vague any ideas?

Unoriginal
2018-04-17, 03:14 AM
I'm very new to 5e with a small background in 3.5e however with a new campaign starting soon I'd like to revise an old character of fine

he was a kobold werecrow

I was wondering how I'd be able to stat for no-human races since it doesn't state much in the MM on it and what is does say is fairly vague any ideas?

The stats for Kobold as a player race are in the Volo's Guide to Monster.

That being said, I don't think many DMs would authorize a lycanthrope as a PC. It'd them way stronger than the rest of the group.

Finback
2018-04-17, 04:00 AM
As noted above, lycanthropes can be VERY powerful, and your DM may not want to unbalance the dynamics.

However, if this was me? My workaround would be - when you rave-out*, you start using MM kenku-based stats. You get a +1 to your dex (since you already have a +2 - a +5 would be insane), and you get the Perception +2 and Stealth +5. You lose your ability to speak recognisably, but I'd allow you to use your movement as a flight speed, so long as you end your turn on the ground. Attacks with handheld weapons would be with disadvantage (since they'd be big-ass wings now), but you could make a 1d4+dex slashing attack with your taloned feet as you flew.

However, this is entirely untested and off the top of my head. There would be other factors at work, like what triggers your change, how often you could do this, etc.

* see what I did there

Quoz
2018-04-17, 06:39 AM
There was an unearthed arcana that had shifters; that would be a good place to start.

Otherwise why not just do a race replacement? Kobold usually, but can replace your racial stat bolck and abilities with Kenku or Aarockra twice per day as an action. Neither is unbalanced on its own but to keep even it should come with a nuisance like vulnerability to silvered weapons or Wis save to resist involuntary changes under high stress.

There was also a kobold racial feat in playtest that gave wings but none of the Volos races made it into that section of Xanthar's.

Maelynn
2018-04-17, 06:54 AM
he was a kobold werecrow

I initially read this as a werecow. I have a very vivid imagination. I am inspired.

(there's not much difference between 'mooo' and a howling 'arooo')

-----------------------------------

Okay, joking aside. I concur that, with a little tweaking, you could make it a decently-balanced player character. Using the Kenku as a base for your crow-form seems a very good way to keep it from turning OP.

Discuss this with your DM, see if they can help you tweak the character. Maybe they can give you some good ideas to make it work, also since you have limited experience with 5e.

the_brazenburn
2018-04-17, 07:20 AM
Stats for adjusting NPC stat blocks are in the DMG, and there's a Kobold player race in Volo's.

I'd advise that you should pick one of the two that you like better, then just add it to an ordinary character.

BTW, wereravens are in Curse of Strahd.

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-17, 08:02 AM
I mean, if I were a DM, I wouldn’t be so keen on letting a character in as a Were-creature if nobody else in the party is a one.

That being said, I would do two things: Change the Immunities of non-magical weapons to only Resistance (And make it a vulnerability to silvered weapons), and keep the Multi-Attack for Hybrid form (Doesn’t stack with Class abilities), flight speed for hybrid and raven form, and Beak attack for hybrid and raven form.

I’d possibly also grant a +2 to Dex when in Hybrid form, but that’d be dependent on the Character’s stats.

MagneticKitty
2018-04-17, 12:09 PM
Is he strength or dex based character?

Kobolds in 5e are typically dex.
I'd find a lycan class

So I would go blood Hunter curse of the lycanthrope (Google it) which is a matt Mercer class

Here's my Homebrew lycanthrope class, a barbarian if you want str
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJW_eCrXG
Just sub bat for crow and you're good

Either will let you attack with tallons. If you want to fly pick up the kobold (expanded racial feats, Google it) urd wings feat, flavor it as crow wings