PDA

View Full Version : Another tale of waforged woes

mabriss lethe
2007-09-02, 04:21 PM
I know when WotC introduced the warforged, they had to do a lot of class specific clarifications concerning them. Afterr seeing a few threads recently concerning the 'forged. I've gotten an itch to play a warforged warlock. I know, too much "war" for one character. It's been a while since I've looked at the Eberron book or any subsequent material from the setting. The question I have is this:

How does the warforged race handle the class abilities and invocations of the Warlock class? Specifically the Fiendish Resilience class ability (fast healing) and invocations like "Path of Shadows."(regain Hp per hour as if you'd rested for one day.)

My thinking is that Fiendish would work as normal, but the healing aspect of Path of Shadows wouldn't function since warforged don't regain HP naturally. Does this sound about right?

Hunter Noventa
2007-09-02, 04:28 PM
Considering the way a Warlock's power works, a Warforged would have to be built from scratch with the idea of using that power in mind. Logic dictates that those abilities would work just fine, since the Eldrtich power would have been a part of the Warforged from the beginning.

Hell, I'd rule that said Warforged would have it's invocations set from it's creation, with various parts of it's body made to utilize them, i.e. exhaust vents on the back for Fell Flight.

MrNexx
2007-09-02, 04:32 PM
Or built with a bound demon soul, which it accesses to create its powers.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-09-02, 04:35 PM
Frankly, not only were Warforged very mass-prdocued (and so unique ones don't exactly fit), but I think that a Warforged that chose to be whatever it is to be a far more interesting character than one that was built to be it. Warforged are people too.

Ceres
2007-09-02, 04:36 PM

Aw man! Now I want to play one too! :smalltongue:

SilverClawShift
2007-09-02, 04:57 PM
but I think that a Warforged that chose to be whatever it is to be a far more interesting character than one that was built to be it.

I second that stance. But at the same time, both characters can certainly be interesting.

A warforged who looks around at the world and decides that arcane power is more valuable than knowing how to swing a sharp peice of metal, and proceeds to begin studying magic and carrying around a backpack full of arcane notes and scrolls is interesting. So is one who was built without armor and taught from day one to throw fireballs, arcane terminology etched into their wodden body so they could prepare spells on the battlefield...

Both could be very interesting characters. One exlporing something they were never meant to, the other coming to grips with the idea that magic isn't all about spells that are useful in a war.

StickMan
2007-09-02, 07:24 PM
Frankly, not only were Warforged very mass-prdocued (and so unique ones don't exactly fit), but I think that a Warforged that chose to be whatever it is to be a far more interesting character than one that was built to be it. Warforged are people too.

That is not quite correct, they were massed produced but there have been many experiments and also specialized groups that were built. Also even the massed produced ones are not all the same each is unique, the forge does not work like a magic item molds when it comes to warforged. Also the Lord of blades and the head of house Canith do experments with there forges.

Gralamin
2007-09-02, 07:27 PM
That is not quite correct, they were massed produced but there have been many experiments and also specialized groups that were built. Also even the massed produced ones are not all the same each is unique, the forge does not work like a magic item molds when it comes to warforged. Also the Lord of blades and the head of house Canith do experments with there forges.

Merrix D'Cannath is one of the three current leaders of Cannith. He is head of Cannith South.

But anyway, I'd go with what Mr.Nexx said.

RandomNPC
2007-09-02, 09:04 PM
yea, i'd say if its a class ability and you're a forged then it heals you, like a monks healing thing, or a pallys lay on hands (forged pally healing self anyway)

oh, warforged paladins... i've got this idea in my head now, a platoon of mechanical soldiers, adamantine body, b.sword attatchments on the arms, heavy shields, holy symbols laid into chest pieces and sholders, yea. its glorious in my mind, if a bit off topic.

Gralamin
2007-09-02, 09:11 PM
yea, i'd say if its a class ability and you're a forged then it heals you, like a monks healing thing, or a pallys lay on hands (forged pally healing self anyway)

oh, warforged paladins... i've got this idea in my head now, a platoon of mechanical soldiers, adamantine body, b.sword attatchments on the arms, heavy shields, holy symbols laid into chest pieces and sholders, yea. its glorious in my mind, if a bit off topic.

See Warforged Paladin Substitution levels in Races of Eberron.

More on topic, A construct can have fast healing as there is nothing prohibiting it from having fast healing.

RTGoodman
2007-09-02, 11:20 PM
Hell, I'd rule that said Warforged would have it's invocations set from it's creation, with various parts of it's body made to utilize them, i.e. exhaust vents on the back for Fell Flight.

Now I want to play a Warforged like that. I mean, think about it - Megaman-type arm to shoot Eldritch Blasts, built-in vents/jetpack for Fell Flight, suction cups or hooks for Spiderwalk, some sort of super-sonic emitter in his head/mouth for Baleful Utterance, special eye enhancements for See the Unseen and Devils' Sight...

*Goes to make this character*

mabriss lethe
2007-09-02, 11:37 PM

You actually hit the nail on the head here. We won't be playing Eberron, so I had to come up with something a little different than the material in the rulebook. Warforged exist in the campaign realm, but aren't very prolific. Small batches of them are created for specific jobs. The character was built as a sort of prison to contain a fraction of the power of a demon. There were others (16 to be precise) who fulfilled the same function. They've all either gone mad or been destroyed in one fashion or another. 17 was the only one of the group to fully adapt to the power inside him (only one to take warlock levels.) At least one of the others is fully corrupted by the demonic energy within him acting, as if possessed by the demon and seeking to break free of its prison. (will eventually posess levels of Acolyte of the Skin or something along those lines.) If that ever happens, literally, all hell will break loose.

So we've covered the fast healing option. Anyone have any opinions concerning the healing abilities bestowed by "Path of Shadows"?

Mewtarthio
2007-09-02, 11:54 PM
Just give him normal healing when he uses Path of Shadows. He's got the essence of a demon inside him, he's using demonic magic to power himself, so why can't he just recharge himself in the Shadow Plane? Say he's drawing ambient shadow energy to repair himself.

Ikkitosen
2007-09-03, 03:30 AM
Just give him normal healing when he uses Path of Shadows. He's got the essence of a demon inside him, he's using demonic magic to power himself, so why can't he just recharge himself in the Shadow Plane? Say he's drawing ambient shadow energy to repair himself.

I agree, just re-fluff the crunch.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-03, 04:35 AM
I know, too much "war" for one character.
Nah. You should dual class to warmage for the War Pwood spell, then become a war-rior and take weapon focus in the warblade. Be wary.