PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need suggestions - Creating a fun & effective wild mage

Zmaxter
2018-04-17, 06:16 AM
Hello everyone, I just had a fun idea, but I want to put it here in case anyone has a funner/more effective idea.
There's no rush, this is just a backup character in case mine dies.

About the campaign:
-Players are level 5 (Shared exp);
-Low to medium magic items, we have gotten two so far;
-Our party consists of a rogue, a paladin, an artificer, a cleric, a bard and a barbarian, I am playing a monk.
-GM allows pretty much everything inside the rules and maybe even a little homebrewn (One of the players is an artificer and I'm an adapted Warforged, for example)

About the character:
-The general idea is a wild mage who is absolutely nuts, he will throw himself at the enemy, so he will have to be sturdy or dodgy, and will focus on touch spells and protecting himself from harm. Would prefer it if he were to wear heavy armour, for the fun aspect of it, but that would require a multiclass or feat, and maining dexterity will also give more initiative.
-Thinking of putting a level into Warlock just for the little raven companion, seems like it'll introduce nice roleplay mechanics
-Also more for the roleplay aspect than anything, even though it's really good, I'd also like to get the lucky feat.
-I'd like to pick an unusual race, one that is usually not too serious, and preferably that can stick to chaotic neutral, but I might pick human for the Lucky feat so I can use ASI to bump charisma to 20 immediately
-Rolled 18 14 15 10 17 10 for stats (Most likely maxing charisma and then bursting it up to 20 with ASI or feat(s) asap, followed by either con or dex an then *perhaps* strength for grappling. Dumping wisdom because he is unwise (even though he'll just be average anyway) and int because he's not above average at that either.
-This is all just a basic guideline and if you all think anything is funner/more powerful, feel free to mention it. I would like it if the character was powerful, but the main thing is being fun: I was thinking I could get two levels in druid just to get wild shape or even barbarian for rage. All in all this guy is nuts and a little random, so feel free to suggest whatever.
Thanks for reading :)

Isaire
2018-04-17, 06:26 AM
I always wanted to play a tempest cleric / wild sorcerer, a menacing cleric following Talos, who thinks his god has given him extra blessings, and the rest of the church disagreed so he departed. Free to do evil (or just CN I guess) hijinks with subtle spell, great blasting once per day with the channel divinity, I'd probably go 2 cleric then the rest sorc. And a little insanity comes with the territory!

If you want to keep some dex, go for medium armour, means you don't need the strength, as sorc's probably don't want the movement penalty. You won't be much in melee, but if starting at level 5 you don't really need any of that. Obviously the above doesn't fit all your criteria, but hopefully an idea for someone :)

Maelynn
2018-04-17, 07:06 AM
A level in Warlock and the rest Sorcerer... hmm... that could work.

He started out as a Warlock after a powerful fey creature approached him for a pact. Nothing evil, just a wee chaotic (just like his patron). He realised that he quite enjoyed his newfound magic powers, so he tried to maximise what he had and use every drop of magic in his veins. The fey, mischievous and pranksy, was more than happy to oblige and kept feeding him magic, especially because it caused a lot of 'incidents' that it found highly amusing.
Of course this had to go wrong, which it did... the character was filled with more magic than he could cast in his daily life. It started eating at him from the inside, drove him mad. He started a life of adventuring, hoping to find an exhaust valve for his powers. It wasn't enough. Soon it became a matter of mopping with the tap still running. He went crazier and crazier, up until the point that even the fey creature backed away slowly.

Quoz
2018-04-17, 07:08 AM
With that stat role you will be effective no matter how you go. Several of the Volos options are great fits, especially scourge Aasimar and Tabaxi, but I like Goblin for the feel. After racial you can have 19 Dex, 18 Cha, 16 Con and 14 Str.

If you want to go sturdy and crazy start out as Barbarian at first level. Your spells will be a level behind but it fills in a lot of your gaps. AC of Dex + Con +Shield, massive maxed first hit die, and rage as a last ditch switch-up to resist damage and get advantage on athletics for shoves and grabs. That will let you take advantage of melee cantrips like booming blade or shocking grasp.

Warlock is also a great pick for a small dip with extra cantrips and a short rest spell slot for sorcery point recharge. Hexblade would let you put your 14 into dex and have medium armor and shield and use Cha as your attack stat. Aasimar is an optimal pick here, but you won't go wrong with anything you choose.

Vogie
2018-04-17, 02:08 PM
If you want heavy armor, why not start with 2 levels of Paladin? That way you can also smite and smash face in the midst of things. There aren't really any Oaths (aside from Treachery, maybe) that have Channel Divinity that you want, but the Heavy armor and +1AC from Defense fighting style will certainly help as you wade into the thick of it and launching into chaos

MagneticKitty
2018-04-17, 02:53 PM
18 14 15 10 17 10
Paladin 2 for heavy armor and smites weapon proficiency and fighting style / wild sorc x

Maybe A triton born on land who is afraid of the water? seems eccentric.

Str 17+1
Con 15+1
Dex 14
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 18+1

Put the 18 in str or Cha, whichever you can find a +1 feat you like in.

Samayu
2018-04-17, 08:53 PM
Tricksy gnome, with a couple of levels of monk for AC and movement?

Be careful of the familiar. My sorcerer recently accidentally dropped a fireball on himself, and I've seen the "each creature within 30' takes 1d10 necrotic" happen. But then "you are frightened by the nearest creature" would be fun.

Zmaxter
2018-04-17, 08:59 PM
I always wanted to play a tempest cleric(...)Obviously the above doesn't fit all your criteria, but hopefully an idea for someone :)
Thanks a million for suggesting tempest cleric, being a cleric gives a lot of versatility in spells and it's always nice to have a holy symbol around these parts.

He started out as a Warlock after a powerful fey creature approached him for a pact(...)up until the point that even the fey creature backed away slowly.
Thanks, I'll make sure to adapt some of this for his backstory :)

Several of the Volos options are great fits, especially scourge Aasimar(...)start out as Barbarian at first level(...)Hexblade would let you put your 14 into dex and have medium armor and shield and use Cha as your attack stat. Aasimar is an optimal pick here, but you won't go wrong with anything you choose.
Thank you very much for suggesting Aasimar as a race. I'm always trying to innovate and our group has never seen an Aasimar. It'll be really nice to have a guardian angel still trying hard to stray him to the right path through his madness.

If you want heavy armor, why not start with 2 levels of Paladin?

Paladin 2 for heavy armor and smites weapon proficiency and fighting style / wild sorc x

Thank you both for the suggestions as well, but I ended up ditching the armor idea. It makes more sense for him to be dodgy than to lug armor around.

Be careful of the familiar

Don't worry, the Raven returns after a long rest :)

I ended up going with Tempest Cleric 1, Raven Queen Warlock 1, Barbarian 1 & Sorcerer 2.

Since he'll have 10 wis, I'll have to pass on the maxed hp from first level barbarian, because I wouldn't be able to multiclass otherwise; he'll start as a cleric whose task goes very wrong and he ends up distraught and enraged.
Eventually the Raven Queen takes him under her wing and allows him to tap into power inside him he didn't know he had, which eventually overtakes him.
Between the guardian angel guiding him towards good and the raven queen telling him to stray from the path, he's going to be one tormented soul that has passed from protector to fallen twice and back, probably has been scourge for a while now.

This isn't set in stone, and any suggestions to improve it are still welcome.

Blacky the Blackball
2018-04-18, 05:33 AM
-The general idea is a wild mage who is absolutely nuts, he will throw himself at the enemy, so he will have to be sturdy or dodgy, and will focus on touch spells and protecting himself from harm. Would prefer it if he were to wear heavy armour, for the fun aspect of it, but that would require a multiclass or feat, and maining dexterity will also give more initiative.

-I'd like to pick an unusual race, one that is usually not too serious, and preferably that can stick to chaotic neutral, but I might pick human for the Lucky feat so I can use ASI to bump charisma to 20 immediately

Why not combine the unusual race and the desire for armour by being a mountain dwarf? A gruff dwarven sorcerer who's not lawful like the majority of his (or her?) race has plenty of potential for "not too serious". It would also give you a strength boost for grappling, which you mention as a possibility later.

Zmaxter
2018-04-18, 07:04 AM
Why not combine the unusual race and the desire for armour by being a mountain dwarf? A gruff dwarven sorcerer who's not lawful like the majority of his (or her?) race has plenty of potential for "not too serious". It would also give you a strength boost for grappling, which you mention as a possibility later.

I appreciate the input, but I feel like movement speed is essential for what I'm trying to do, and after checking my spells, I've decided not to focus on strength after all :)