PDA

View Full Version : Help building a dark Druid.

Snig
2018-04-17, 06:59 AM
Hey guys. I am looking for some suggestions about putting a dark spin on my female Wood Elf Druid. I want to be mainly caster / support, so I'm thinking circle of land.

I'm thinking along the lines of a woods witch type of character.

Any suggestions?

Pic for inspiration
https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/52043834/I_YtdMZjKHH_bLY8BfvTZg/original.jpg?1523835098

nickl_2000
2018-04-17, 07:02 AM
What are you wanting suggestions on? Spell lists, Druid Subclasses? Playstyle?

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-17, 07:03 AM
What resources are you limited to? PHB only? Xanathar's Guide? Can you use Unearthed Arcana (UA) material?

If UA is allowed, check out the Circle of Spores Druid subclass. It would likely be a good fit.

If limited to official material, I could see a Shepherd Druid being a good fit for a woods witch type character. You learn to speak to animals, and you're mainly dealing with various spirits that you might have come across in your home area.

Snig
2018-04-17, 07:11 AM
What are you wanting suggestions on? Spell lists, Druid Subclasses? Playstyle?

Any published material is allowed and UA on a case by case basis.

Yes help on spell lists, sub classes or even multi classing would be helpful.

I have an idea of spells and I'm thinking about land Druid (Forest?), But asking the community for suggestions usually opens up possibilities that I didn't think of.

nickl_2000
2018-04-17, 07:30 AM
Any published material is allowed and UA on a case by case basis.

Yes help on spell lists, sub classes or even multi classing would be helpful.

I have an idea of spells and I'm thinking about land Druid (Forest?), But asking the community for suggestions usually opens up possibilities that I didn't think of.

Looking at the domain spell lists, Underdark, Forest, and Swamp would all be pretty thematic from a bonus spell perspective. Although I think swamp with darkness, stinking cloud, insect plague, and scrying would be perfect.

Your summons can easily be based around the trope of an evil witch. Summoning snaked, spiders, toads, Giant Bats would all be very flavorful.

Spells that seem to fit to me through level 4:
Cantrips: Gust, Thorn Whip, Poison Spray, Druidcraft, Control Flames
Level 1: Beast Bond, Snare, Ice Knife, Charm Person, Entangle, Speak with Animals
Level 2: Darkvision, Heat Metal, Pass without a Trace, Spike Growth, Earthbind
Level 3: Erupting Earth, Conjure Animals, Call Lightning, Meld into Stone, Plant Growth, Sleet Storm,
Level 4: Blight, Conjures, Dominate Beast, Giant Insect, Polymorph, Charm Monster

As for multiclassing, putting some levels into Nature or Arcana Domain would fit the theme pretty well, as could knowledge possibly. Pact of the Chain Hexblade Warlock would fit with it's hexing abilities, Glamour Bard would be an interesting one with it's charm abilities, Wild Magic Sorcerer, Pact of the Chain Archfey warlock would also be pretty awesome.

However many of these multiclasses would be super MAD.

Snig
2018-04-17, 07:35 AM
Looking at the domain spell lists, Underdark, Forest, and Swamp would all be pretty thematic from a bonus spell perspective. Although I think swamp with darkness, stinking cloud, insect plague, and scrying would be perfect.

Your summons can easily be based around the trope of an evil witch. Summoning snaked, spiders, toads, Giant Bats would all be very flavorful.

Spells that seem to fit to me through level 4:
Cantrips: Gust, Thorn Whip, Poison Spray, Druidcraft, Control Flames
Level 1: Beast Bond, Snare, Ice Knife, Charm Person, Entangle, Speak with Animals
Level 2: Darkvision, Heat Metal, Pass without a Trace, Spike Growth, Earthbind
Level 3: Erupting Earth, Conjure Animals, Call Lightning, Meld into Stone, Plant Growth, Sleet Storm,
Level 4: Blight, Conjures, Dominate Beast, Giant Insect, Polymorph, Charm Monster

Awesome suggestions! This has given me some more insight and inspiration.

I was thinking on going Forest, but now I think swamp is the way to go.

Thanks!

nickl_2000
2018-04-17, 07:38 AM
Awesome suggestions! This has given me some more insight and inspiration.

I was thinking on going Forest, but now I think swamp is the way to go.

Thanks!

As for multiclassing, putting some levels into Nature or Arcana Domain would fit the theme pretty well, as could knowledge possibly. Pact of the Chain Hexblade Warlock would fit with it's hexing abilities, Glamour Bard would be an interesting one with it's charm abilities, Wild Magic Sorcerer, Pact of the Chain Archfey warlock would also be pretty awesome.

As much as I like the combination of a Land Druid/ Pact of the Chain Archfey thematically, it would be really hard to pull off. You would be best of going full Druid IMHO and completely skip the multiclassing.

Snig
2018-04-17, 07:43 AM

As much as I like the combination of a Land Druid/ Pact of the Chain Archfey thematically, it would be really hard to pull off. You would be best of going full Druid IMHO and completely skip the multiclassing.
I love the idea of adding hex to my spell list. Is this possible without multiclassing? Would I need charisma?

nickl_2000
2018-04-17, 07:48 AM
I love the idea of adding hex to my spell list. Is this possible without multiclassing? Would I need charisma?

Yes it is possible without multiclasses. You can take the Magic Initiate Warlock Feat. If you did you can easily take Hex as the 1st level spell (once per day), then maybe Mage Hand and Prestidigitation as your cantrips.

The problem with MI Warlock is that the spells still key of your Charisma, so if there is a save for the spells you need a decent charisma. Hence why the cantrip suggestions, luckily Hex doesn't require any saves.

Vogie
2018-04-17, 08:04 AM
Circle of Twilight Druid (UA 11/27/2016) is a very dark subclass. If you want a more expanded spell list, you could also do a tiny dip into Cleric. If you want to lean more blaster-y, go for a single level of Death Cleric to give your necro cantrips the Horde Breaker effect. Or, if you want more support, a two levels of Grave Cleric will augment clutch healing, and give you a vulnerability curse to put on other targets.

If you decide you'd rather wade into melee but don't want to be a moon druid, another option is Spore Druid (01/08/2018), which could easily be refluffed as a disease/infestation/blight druid - instead of spores, you can say it is swarms of insects, for example. You can also augment it with a 2 level dip of Fiend Warlock so you can grab Cloak of Baalzebul for a another poison aura, hex, and another way to generate THP, although it would make you a bit MAD.

Lastly, if you want to stay Land Druid, but want more reliable ranged damage that doesn't require concentration or going MAD, you could multiclass into Monk. 3 levels into Sun Soul monk will give you Radiant Sun Bolts, refluffed as you like, giving you a 1d4 ranged attacks at level 3 (with the ability to launch a ranged flurry with ki points), and if you go up to level 5, you'll have an extra attack, stunning strike, and your sun bolts are 1d6. You also get Burning hands if you go up to 6. You'll also get all of the monk ribbons: Faster movement, unarmored defense, missile deflection and always-on slow fall.

Ventruenox
2018-04-17, 09:04 AM
In the back of the Return of the Lizard King module from DMs Guild Adepts (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/220608/Return-of-the-Lizard-King) there is a subclass option called Circle of Reaping. You expend spell slots for melee combat buffs, flavored as Aspects of Death. A revised Ranger dip for a fighting style and Hunter's Mark on top of this Druid subclass would fit the theme it seems you may be looking for.

It is technically 3rd party content, but from developers with WoTC blessings. PM me if you are only interested in the subclass text.

Personification
2018-04-19, 07:49 PM
Your primary weapon must be a scythe (because reaper stuff), also, I will second (third?) going Spore Druid. Also, TALK LIKE THIS.

Fuzzy Logic
2018-04-19, 11:16 PM
Definitely Google goblin punch druid and read the article. Tons of inspiration!