PDA

View Full Version : Why is everything I do automatically saved to one drive and not my computer?

MonkeySage
2018-04-17, 11:00 AM
I hate this feature and if I could uninstall onedrive I would. I don't want anything saved to onedrive, at all.

I just lost everything. I can't access any of my files because apparently all of them were saved to one drive.

warriorneedsfoo
2018-04-17, 04:06 PM
If they were saved to OneDrive, then you should be able to install onedrive and re-download all the files you put there.

Bavarian itP
2018-04-18, 01:25 AM
https://media.makeameme.org/created/why-did-i-lankq4.jpg

Chen
2018-04-18, 06:11 AM
Do you not actually save your files in various folders? You just click save and let it go to the default location?

wumpus
2018-04-18, 09:21 AM
Do you not actually save your files in various folders? You just click save and let it go to the default location?

You might have the original file in a specific folder, but expect Office to at least save everything thereafter in "One Drive" (I doubt other programs are quite as devoted to "One Drive"). Presumably there is still information about you that hasn't been sent to Redmond by Windows 10 and One Drive will mine the rest.

Chen
2018-04-18, 09:53 AM
You might have the original file in a specific folder, but expect Office to at least save everything thereafter in "One Drive" (I doubt other programs are quite as devoted to "One Drive"). Presumably there is still information about you that hasn't been sent to Redmond by Windows 10 and One Drive will mine the rest.

My understanding is that One Drive can be the DEFAULT save location for files. But I assume hitting "Save" or "Save As" still brings up the menu of where you're going to save the thing and lets you change that. At least it does on my Windows 10 machine. My question was the One Drive issue of somehow losing all your files would be a problem if you only ever saved to the default location. And even then One Drive ensures your files are available locally as well so you can access them without an internet connection, unless you turn off a bunch of options.

GloatingSwine
2018-04-19, 08:51 AM
If you link Onedrive to your login account the local documents, music, and pictures folders are mirrored on your Onedrive. (Until it runs out of space because the free space is p. small).

To stop it, open Onedrive from the notification area and find the Unlink option.

Bohandas
2018-04-21, 04:59 PM
I just lost everything. I can't access any of my files because apparently all of them were saved to one drive.

All of your files from what program? Different programs may require different solutions to prevent this going forward.

As a general rule of thumb though NEVER use the "Save" function if there is a "Save As" option available to you instead. ALWAYS use "save as" and use "save" only as a last resort if "save as" is not available.

Also I would recommend that as soon as you are sure you have all of your files back (maybe burn copies to a dvd to make sure) you uninstall OneDrive either by going to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel, going to "Apps and Features" selecting OneDrive, and then selecting uninstall

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-completely-uninstall-onedrive-in-windows-10-1725363532

After doing all this (and especially not until after getting your files back), I furthermore suggest that, unless you use a program that absolutely requires it in order to run, you unlink your Microsoft Account from your computer.

Max_Killjoy
2018-04-22, 10:43 AM
All of your files from what program? Different programs may require different solutions to prevent this going forward.

As a general rule of thumb though NEVER use the "Save" function if there is a "Save As" option available to you instead. ALWAYS use "save as" and use "save" only as a last resort if "save as" is not available.

Also I would recommend that as soon as you are sure you have all of your files back (maybe burn copies to a dvd to make sure) you uninstall OneDrive either by going to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel, going to "Apps and Features" selecting OneDrive, and then selecting uninstall

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-completely-uninstall-onedrive-in-windows-10-1725363532

After doing all this (and especially not until after getting your files back), I furthermore suggest that, unless you use a program that absolutely requires it in order to run, you unlink your Microsoft Account from your computer.

Agreed on all counts.

Bohandas
2018-04-22, 12:24 PM
Also, don't use Microsoft Office; use Libre Office or Open Office