PDA

View Full Version : Fun races for the Monk

CTurbo
2018-04-17, 03:11 PM
Aarakocra
First of all, the stat increases are perfect for a Monk. Flavor wise, the unarmed strikes with Talons are great and offer an additional damage type as opposed to bludgeoning. Probably the most fun thing here is the 50ft flying speed the Aarakocra gets at level 1 which would be 60ft by level 2 all the way up to 80ft by level 18. That is just awesome. You could fly 180ft per ki as early as level 2. Monk features like Deflect Missiles and Evasion would make you extreme hard to hit while flying around too. Open Hand Monk sounds perfect. On your turn you could fly up, throw a spear or dart and then swoop in and make one or two talon attacks while knocking the enemy prone or pushing it back 15ft. Then fly away. Obviously Mobile feat would be amazing for this adding extra speed and not allowing the OoA to fly away.

Tabaxi
Another fun unarmed attack race with more fun movement goodies. Instead of punch punch your unarmed attacks could be scratch scratch. Your stat increases are not perfect as the Cha is wasted but the Dex boost is great. Your 20ft climb speed would be 30ft at level 2 and 50ft at level 18. I know the Monk can run up vertical surfaces at level 9 but it's still really fun to have such a great climbing speed. Of course the real reason to take this class in the Feline Agility. No class gets more out of being able to double your speed for a turn that a Monk. At level 18, spend one turn double dashing and you just moved 480ft with no feat or magic item.

Lizardfolk
Probably not anybody's first choice for a Monk, but I like the idea. Stat bonuses are good, but the not great as you'll be lacking in Dex to start. The Con boost is great for everybody though and the Monk is no exception. You get a fun bite as an unarmed attack which actually deals more damage from levels 1-4 than normal. Flavor wise, the Lizardfolk's temperament fits how a Monk is normally portrayed. I also like the flavor of attack + a flurry of chomps lol. You would never have to worry about running out of darts or spears/javelins since you can keep making them. Technically you could even ignore Wis and max Dex and still have a good unarmored AC, but this is obviously not optimal.

Honorable mention
Minotaur
Unfortunately, unlike the 3 races above, the Minotaur's natural weapon is actually listed as a melee weapon so I don't think it would work for a Monk's unarmed strike or as a Monk weapon. I guess ask your DM. You do get the Wis bump, and the idea of a Minotaur Monk is kind of fun. Of course being able to make 4 1d10 horn attacks a round at level 5 does seem kind of broken.

So did I miss any other race that would have some fun synergies with the Monk class?

solidork
2018-04-17, 03:35 PM
I like Aarakocra just because I love imagining a six limbed fighting style that includes wing attacks, even if actually hitting things with your delicate wings wouldn't actually be too smart for a real bird man. Just say they're protected by your ki or whatever.

Ventruenox
2018-04-17, 04:06 PM
So did I miss any other race that would have some fun synergies with the Monk class?

https://nerdsonearth.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-cgi.jpg

Maxilian
2018-04-17, 04:29 PM
https://nerdsonearth.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-cgi.jpg

As Ventruenox pointed out, the Tortle is a really good option for a STR based Monk, as the different AC calculation, make DEX for your AC irrelevant, so dumping DEX will only affect your deflect missile ability and nothing else.

Also the Grung is a really good option, it give you DEX and CON, and everytime someone is in direct contact to you, they have to roll for a CON save 12 or get poisoned (so everytime you hit them with an unarmed attack), it does not scale that well but its a frebbie that will always be there.

Ventruenox
2018-04-17, 04:40 PM
Also the Grung is a really good option, it give you DEX and CON, and everytime someone is in direct contact to you, they have to roll for a CON save 12 or get poisoned (so everytime you hit them with an unarmed attack), it does not scale that well but its a frebbie that will always be there.

The Grung's poison has differing effects if you are in direct contact (like a grapple) versus on a weapon. It can be applied to any piercing weapon as part of the attack. Use a spear as your monk weapon and you may be able to burn through those legendary resistances.

It should also be noted that the standing jump ability of the Grung works well with Step of the Wind. Slippers of Spider Climb to munchkin the hit and run tactics in three dimensions. If you multiclass Druid for 2-3 levels, you can overcome the water dependency trait with Mold Earth and Create Water, set up your own AoE, control the field with Thorn Whip, or cast Jump and double dash with Step of the Wind for up to a 150' leap. If that happens to be a Spore Druid circle, your attacks get a non concentration buff on par with Hex or Hunter's Mark.

the secret fire
2018-04-17, 04:42 PM
Goblins make wonderful shadow monks.

damascoplay
2018-04-17, 04:46 PM
Where's my GNOME with advantage on CHA, INT and WIS in saving throws????

Gibe

jaappleton
2018-04-17, 04:59 PM
Where's my GNOME with advantage on CHA, INT and WIS in saving throws????

Gibe

Only VS magical effects. Still, that’s.... Most of those saves.

Gnome is actually very good for a Cobalt Soul Monk, if you use the Tal’Dorei campaign setting from Critical Role, as a few abilities actually key off Intelligence.

Also very good if you go Open Hand / Diviner Wizard 2, to get Portent. Because forcing a failed result is always hilarious. Or if you roll stats, and get a decent Int, it may be worth considering splashing Bladesinger since it’s so short rest friendly.

8wGremlin
2018-04-17, 06:38 PM
Minotaur
Unfortunately, unlike the 3 races above, the Minotaur's natural weapon is actually listed as a melee weapon so I don't think it would work for a Monk's unarmed strike or as a Monk weapon. I guess ask your DM. You do get the Wis bump, and the idea of a Minotaur Monk is kind of fun. Of course being able to make 4 1d10 horn attacks a round at level 5 does seem kind of broken.

Could in theory a Bladelock can have Minotaur's horns as their pact weapon and be proficient in their use?
Or any other natural weapon that also has it listed as Melee weapon?

jaappleton
2018-04-17, 06:54 PM
I actually really like Firbolg for a Monk. Their racial powers all replenish on a short rest. You’ve got Disguise Self, Invisibility, chatting with beasts (Urchin background starts with a Mouse, so you can get a quasi-familiar).

Plus they’re the only +2 Wisdom race.

CTurbo
2018-04-17, 06:57 PM
Could in theory a Bladelock can have Minotaur's horns as their pact weapon and be proficient in their use?
Or any other natural weapon that also has it listed as Melee weapon?

I don't see why not. They are already proficient with their horns anyway.

Yeah a Firbolg would be interesting for sure. Definitely not a common Monk race despite the Wis

Ventruenox
2018-04-17, 07:23 PM
So what would happen when the minotaur dismisses the pact weapon horns?

Dudewithknives
2018-04-17, 08:55 PM
I would go with a Grung just to name him "Bruce" LeapRoy Green

Grung catchin' bolts with his teeth...

Samayu
2018-04-17, 09:08 PM
I like Aarakocra just because I love imagining a six limbed fighting style that includes wing attacks, even if actually hitting things with your delicate wings wouldn't actually be too smart for a real bird man. Just say they're protected by your ki or whatever.
Wings are not that delicate. If they're strong enough to hold you up in the air, they're strong enough to hurt someone. Just hit with the leading edge, not the trailing edge.

8wGremlin
2018-04-17, 09:17 PM
So what would happen when the minotaur dismisses the pact weapon horns?
What is more interesting is what if it isn't a minotaur in the first place!

Desteplo
2018-04-17, 10:34 PM
I reskinned an aarokocra as a human and went sun soul (super saiyan)

Reskinned Dragonborn as human and went drunken master (Jackie chan)

Wryte
2018-04-17, 11:45 PM
I play a Hill Dwarf with a homebrew archetype (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?539494-Monastic-Tradition-Tavern-Wench-PEACH#post22487324). I play her as a tavern wench who got tired of hearing all the adventurers' stories, and decided to go out and experience it for herself.

Now that I'm Monk 11/Rogue 1, my favored tactic is using my first attack to grapple an enemy (Athletics expertise from rogue), and then my second to throw them at another enemy, dealing Martial Arts damage to both (homebrew includes feature that counts "improvised weapons" as monk weapons), Sneak Attack to both if I have an ally within 5 feet of the second target, and knocking both prone.

Kaliayev
2018-04-17, 11:57 PM
I'm surprised Kor isn't on this list. They're literally the monk race with all their silent nods to each other.

the secret fire
2018-04-18, 12:04 AM
I play a Hill Dwarf with a homebrew archetype (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?539494-Monastic-Tradition-Tavern-Wench-PEACH#post22487324). I play her as a tavern wench who got tired of hearing all the adventurers' stories, and decided to go out and experience it for herself.

Now that I'm Monk 11/Rogue 1, my favored tactic is using my first attack to grapple an enemy (Athletics expertise from rogue), and then my second to throw them at another enemy, dealing Martial Arts damage to both (homebrew includes feature that counts "improvised weapons" as monk weapons), Sneak Attack to both if I have an ally within 5 feet of the second target, and knocking both prone.

You have a generous DM.

CTurbo
2018-04-18, 01:10 AM

Yes you have a VERY generous DM

Sahe
2018-04-18, 05:14 AM
Mmh, let's see, I'm going mostly for Theme and Style here.

Aasimar Sun Soul Monk:
Refluffing the Scource or Protector Assimar Feature as you channeling the full power of your soul or sun or whatever. Ability Score increases are far from ideal, but I do like the general style and idea of it. Sadly your special ability is only once per long rest.

Kenku Shadow Monk:
Perfect Ability Score bonuses for any Monk. Expert Forgery, Kenku Training and Mimicry all help with infiltration and such.

Goblin Kensei Monk:
Why Kensei you ask? Because you're Yoda now! Nimble Escape is quite nice, because you then can Bonus Action Disengage without spending Ki. Ability Score increases are also not so bad and Fury of the Small is nice considering that most things will be bigger than you.

Also with some of the "Animal" Races, you can always fluff their style a bit.

Yuan-Ti Pureblood: Fanged Snake Style
Tabaxi: Black Tiger Fist or Leopard
Aarakocra/Kenku: Eagle Claw or Crane
etc.

Also, if Way of 4 Elements wouldn't suck so much an Elemental Genasi focusing on one Element could be quite fun. For extra fun, stylize their Style after the ones used in Avatar:
Earth - Southern Praying Mantis or Hung Gar
Fire - Northern Shaolin Kung Fu
Water - T'ai chi ch'uan
Air - Baguazhang

MagneticKitty
2018-04-18, 04:20 PM

Yeah.. sneak attack once per round at the very least

I really wanna do yuan ti with their feat that they turn into a snake (expanded racial feats).. and just always be a snake. Name yourself nagini for bonus points

clem
2018-04-18, 04:44 PM
No mention of the bugbear? Reach can be very nice on a monk, especially when you want to deliver a stun while the tanks are all face-to-face with the foe.

Daithi
2018-04-18, 06:14 PM
Aarakocra/Kenku: Eagle Claw or Crane

Kenku Drunken Master who practices the Flipping Bird style.

jaappleton
2018-04-18, 06:45 PM
Kenku Drunken Master who practices the Flipping Bird style.

Please tell me this character just gives double freedom rockets after hitting an enemy.

DaveOfTheDead
2018-04-19, 12:11 PM
I love my Halfling monk. He's an agile, snarky bastard.

Wryte
2018-04-20, 09:50 PM
You have a generous DM.

Well, how would you rule throwing a guy into another guy?

Maxilian
2018-04-21, 06:17 AM
Well, how would you rule throwing a guy into another guy?

A corpse, would be seen as an improvised weapon, improvised weapon do not count for Sneak Attack

jaappleton
2018-04-21, 08:31 AM
A corpse, would be seen as an improvised weapon, improvised weapon do not count for Sneak Attack

Corpses aren't Finesse weapons, unfortunately.

Naanomi
2018-04-21, 11:22 AM
Kenku make good monks of a variety of types, and can flawlessly quote the confusian/Taoist ‘Wise sayings’ of their ancient masters

djreynolds
2018-04-21, 11:31 AM
I thought it said "Foot races for the Monk"

That said, I just like the image of a tiefling monk

DracoKnight
2018-04-22, 02:05 AM
Not terribly optimized, but I've had lots of fun playing Dragonborn Monks.

A typical round will see me bite my enemy, do a couple claw slashes, and end by tail-swiping them. It's a lot of fun to get into describing the physicality of it. I imagine Lizardfolk would be much the same :smallbiggrin:

Asmotherion
2018-04-22, 02:16 AM
Of course being able to make 4 1d10 horn attacks a round at level 5 does seem kind of broken.

If it's cool for the Eldritch Blasting Sorlock, It's cool for you too. It's not like you'll be doing it all the time either, you both spend a Short Rest Mechanic on it... Almost as if the Game is well balanced this way :3