PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Spells.

DiscipleofBob
2007-09-02, 06:36 PM
Currently, I'm playing a level 3 Warmage, and the DM has been kind enough to let me replace some of the spells with more "appropriate" ones. For a later PrC (Stormcaster), I'm trying to have the majority of my spells being Lightning or Sonic based. I won't be able to get Energy Substitution until level 9, so can anyone recommend some good spells of that sort until then?

PaladinBoy
2007-09-02, 07:03 PM
Our group's Warmage manages to have a lot of fun intimidating people with shocking grasp. IMHO, it's not a very good combat spell though.

Deth Muncher
2007-09-02, 07:10 PM
Our group's Warmage manages to have a lot of fun intimidating people with shocking grasp. IMHO, it's not a very good combat spell though.

It is when you have "Reach Spell", a Metafeat with a +1 LA that lets any touch spell become a 30ft Ray! Emperor Palpetine, anyone?

dauphinous
2007-09-02, 07:14 PM
Orb Spells in CArc. They have one for each energy type in levels 1 & 4.

Resonating Bolt, 3rd level, also CArc.

If the DM is willing to let you use druid spells, there's Call Lightning at 3rd

Chain Lightning & Lightning Bolt, of course.

That's all I've got off the top of my head.

Edit: Shatter (2nd level), and ask about replacing Ray of Frost with Ray of Lightning and/or Ray of Sonic Doom (or whatever).

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-09-02, 07:15 PM
Are ye getting Explosive Spell (Metamagic) [CompArcrane]? I did. :biggrin:
I also recommend Energy Sub (Electric) and Born of the Three Thunders. Just make sure ye are not in melee or flying when using that feat.

Ye can never go wrong with the good-ol' Lightning Bolt. Sound Lance (Spell Compendium) is also good, does d8's and has Fort for half; to take out those pesky wizards and rogues. Environmental spells like Gust of Wind are good too. Gust of Wind saved our party from not one, not two, but 3 swarms in one of our most recent encounters.

Dihan
2007-09-02, 07:20 PM
A few Wu Jen spells: Lightning Blade and Arc of Lightning.

There's also things like Whirlwind, Call Lightning Storm and Control Weather.

PaladinBoy
2007-09-02, 07:23 PM
ALso, once you get to some higher levels, try scintillating sphere, which I found in the Spell Compendium. It's basically an electricity-damage fireball.

Anxe
2007-09-03, 10:14 AM
You could just design your own spells that deal lightning and sonic.

kpenguin
2007-09-03, 10:19 AM
Take the "Born of the Three Thunders" feat. It fits your idea very well.

Weredwarf
2007-09-03, 10:32 AM
I'd say that that at your level lesser orb of electricity is your best bet, and take lightning bolt as soon as possible