PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have any experience with a mid-high level Beast Ranger?

CTurbo
2018-04-18, 02:54 AM
Ever since the UA Revised Ranger, I've been tempted to give Beastmaster a try as it really doesn't seem that bad anymore.
Both the Wolf and the Panther seem decent and since you can give them ASIs, you can bump up their Dex and Con to make them even tougher as in more hp and AC.

TheDarkKing
2018-04-18, 06:14 AM
I played one all the way to 9th level in COS. The revised ranger makes the beast master so much better. The beast is a lot tougher, and it does pretty good damage.

Deox
2018-04-18, 06:30 AM
Taking inspiration from Easy_Lee (played a halfling riding a panther), I played a revised Beast Conclave Ranger up to 10th level. Overall, I felt the updated conclave played very well. Some of the things I particularly enjoyed were the selection of base animals (though the DM has final say as to what creatures would be available), the Natural Explorer feature applying to both yourself and companion, and the over-all scaling.

The companion gaining Favored Enemy (and Greater) was also very useful; I saw it fitting of man / beast becoming one entity or unit. Coordinated attack may look clunky at first, but I found it very thematic and fun. The Superior Beast Defense also helps keep your buddy "sticky".

While I do not think the complete overhaul was required, I did think the pet scaling helped keep my character relevant with respect to damage. The beast should be added into your overall "kit" (read:damage, versatility) and not treated as a separate entity.