PDA

View Full Version : Explanations of Modules Without Spoilers

Archerlord
2018-04-18, 06:37 AM
Long time viewer, first time poster. I am a DM for a small group of friends who are getting ready to play DnD 5e for the first time. I'm on the mindset of since this is the their first time, I should let them choose the adventure we run. I have all of the books for all published adventurers. What I need is a way to explain what each adventure is. I'm trying to find a balance between "giving enough to hook them in" and "leaving them with questions." If possible, please leave a sentence or two explanation of each module that I might be able to use.

SiCK_Boy
2018-04-18, 07:06 AM
The easiest way would be to refer to the text on the back of each adventure book.

That is exactly the purpose of that text anyway, and it should not contain any significant spoiler, since the goal of this text is to offer prospective buyers a quick glance of what is inside the book.

You could also refer to the blurb on WotC`s product page for each module (often the same as what is found on the book).

Or, even better, you could give yourself and your group the best chance of success and not offer them any option. Instead, use the Starter Set module (The Lost Mine of Phandelver), which has received numerous positive critics, and is also designed to help groups like yours start with the game.

BLC1975
2018-04-18, 08:00 AM
If this is their first time they won't know what they're getting into anyway so why don't you just give them a choice of two of the simpler ones for you to run. I wouldn't dive into Tomb of Annihiltion as a first-timer. Maybe just offer Phandelver or Sunless Citadel from Yawning Portal.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-18, 05:08 PM
Thirding Phandelver, which also leads into other modules fairly well.

Laserlight
2018-04-18, 05:54 PM
Phandelver, although if you are starting them at L1, you might want to give them some extra hitpoints.
I would not advise Storm King or Princes of the Apocalypse; the connections between "what you do in this chapter" and "what you need to do to get to next chapter" are not always clear. I gather Curse of Strahd is better, but still doesn't have a summary / flow chart to help the GM.
Whatever you use, read it first and look for items and NPCs, and make sure you know where the stats are. I recall an item where the note was "see DMG Chapter 7" (no page number) which lead you to another chapter, which told you the item gave you the effect of the Bless spell, see the PHB. Imagine following that rabbit trail while your players are waiting for you to answer. Far better to put a sticky note on the page with "gives Bless 3x per long rest" when you're prepping.