PDA

View Full Version : Let’s build it (Spellscale jester/1-ghost)

J-Goon the 3rd
2018-04-18, 09:32 AM
In my head I have an idea for a character however it needs to be a ghost I settled on a spellscale jester and I was hoping the great community here could help me optimize it!

J-Goon the 3rd
2018-04-18, 09:40 AM
Stats rolled are 14, 15, 18, 9, 15, 12. I figured 18 in cha. and 9 in con. Spellscales get +2 cha. -2 con anyway and ghost template nulls con. - and boosts cha. +4. 12 in str. or wis. and sprinkle the others elsewhere. As far as jester goes, I’m having a hard time deciding which version to go with...found one on here, a homebrew on dndwiki, and of course the boring, lusterless jester from the “Dragon Compendium”.

JyP
2018-04-18, 09:46 AM
are you using the default ghost template at +5 LA and some terror powers ? or maybe the ghost template in Ghostwalk, if your DM allows it ? this way, you can select your ghost powers and grow them over time...

Uncle Pine
2018-04-18, 10:00 AM
Dip Ghost 1 (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) for flight, etherealness, undead type, and +2 on Hide, Listen, Search and Spot and never look back. You're not required to take the other levels in the progression to keep being a ghost.

J-Goon the 3rd
2018-04-18, 10:22 AM
I don’t think the dm will have a problem with ghost progression. Any feats or jester version comments?

J-Goon the 3rd
2018-04-18, 10:26 AM
Is this type of thread allowed? Character optimization advice?

Uncle Pine
2018-04-18, 10:49 AM
Is this type of thread allowed? Character optimization advice?
Of course it's allowed, but you may want to edit your previous message if you want to add something to the thread and noone else has replied instead of posting twice in a row. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1)'s a quick link to the forum rules, and welcome to the boards! :smallsmile:

I don’t think the dm will have a problem with ghost progression. Any feats or jester version comments?

There is a Jester class in the Dragon Compendium, but it isn't exactly great. In these cases, one can't usually go wrong by rolling a Bard as a Bard has all the tools to be a great jester. Here's a handbook for the Bard class by Dictuum Mortum (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.it/2016/08/the-bards-handbook.html). If you want to be a joyous ghastly jester and don't dislike gnomes, Divine Prankster (from Races of Stone) could be a good prestige class to look forward to.
However, note that "jester" is more of an attitude, a set of clothing, and ultimately a job than a set of abilities. Any class with Perform or Tumble (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/tumble.htm) as a class skill can make for a good jester, even without access to bardic music. So what kind of jester do you want to be?

J-Goon the 3rd
2018-04-18, 03:37 PM
Thank you!

You pretty much hit it on the head, I really don’t find bards appealing, that’s a whole level of role-playing creativity that I’m still uncomfortable with. I was thinking more along the lines of a trickster with a bit of Cheshire Cat word play and phasing in and out.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-18, 04:35 PM
Then you're gonna love the Beguiler class. It's from Players' Handbook II and don't let the image on page 8 fool you, you don't need to look like Wednesday Addams to pick that class. You can make a Beguiler into a great jester and the class itself is pretty straightforward. It's still largely based on enchantments and illusions though, so you'll need to get your hands dirty and jump into the creativity pool if you want to make the most out of your class features. :smallwink:

retaliation08
2018-04-18, 05:50 PM
My Jester gnome never made it to level 2.

Edit: RP was cause of death

J-Goon the 3rd
2018-04-18, 08:27 PM
Is the beguiler a cha. class? I will definitely look into it.

Thank you all for your input, one last question is if there are any “ghost/ethereal” feats that would maximize the ghost dip? Is it greater manifestation? or anything that could help with body theiving or helping me be a better support character?

Uncle Pine
2018-04-19, 12:40 AM
Is the beguiler a cha. class? I will definitely look into it.

Thank you all for your input, one last question is if there are any “ghost/ethereal” feats that would maximize the ghost dip? Is it greater manifestation? or anything that could help with body theiving or helping me be a better support character?
Beguilers cast off Int, but a decent Charisma score won't hurt Diplomacy and the likes.

I don't know about any feat called greater manifestation. Libris Mortis has a lot of useful feats for undead creatures and characters, so I'd start looking there. However, note that Ghost 1 doesn't give you malevolence (which is what ghosts use for hijacking bodies), as that's a 4th-level ability.