PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Prestige Classe : skill conditions

WinterIsComing
2018-04-18, 11:15 AM
The question about skill conditions to start a prestige classe.

For example, regarding the assassin, one of the conditions is :

Skills
Move silently 8 ranks.

Question : my player has a doubt, can we include the bonus of the Dexterity to reach the condition ?

For example, he has a dexterity of 18, so bonus of +4, so he needs just 4 additional points to be compliant with the condition.

I think no, I think just the points invested level by level can be take in account.

Correct ?

Zaq
2018-04-18, 11:19 AM
Prereqs look only at ranks, not at total bonus. This means that classes with skill prereqs also usually put a hard gate on how many HD you have to have before you can possibly qualify.

daremetoidareyo
2018-04-18, 11:19 AM
The question about skill conditions to start a prestige classe.

For example, regarding the assassin, one of the conditions is :

Skills
Move silently 8 ranks.

Question : my player has a doubt, can we include the bonus of the Dexterity to reach the condition ?

For example, he has a dexterity of 18, so bonus of +4, so he needs just 4 additional points to be compliant with the condition.

I think no, I think just the points invested level by level can be take in account.

Correct ?

Skill ranks are defined by the game as the points you apply to skills at level ups.

What you are thinking about is skill modifiers.

heavyfuel
2018-04-18, 11:55 AM
Normally no.

However, there's an alternative rule that allows it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/testBasedPrerequisites.htm).

Personally, it makes more sense to me and I like this idea very much even though I've never actually tried it and it's more work to actually come up with a test or something.

If you allow something like that, he could qualify earlier. It's completely up to you as DM.