PDA

View Full Version : Adding energy descriptors to spells that don't deal damage

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-04-18, 03:51 PM
How can I add energy descriptors to my spells that don't deal damage?
I know that the Snowcasting feat exists, and intend to take it. Are there similar feats for other energy types? Spells that could do the job? Items?

I'm trying to build a spellcaster (Beguiler) with high spell DCs for illusion and enchantment spells. I was thinking of using Draconic Aura (energy) which raises the DCs of spells with the right descriptors cast within 30ft by up to +4. I would take whatever feats are needed to add the descriptors to my spells, and then take the Improved Familiar feats or the Dragon Cohort and pay for Psychic reformation to give it the relevant Draconic Aura feats and the Double Draconic Aura feat. A Dragon has no "character level" (and Double Draconic Aura has a "character level 12" prerequisite) but I believe a Dragon Cohort should have 12 HD and a familiar can use my level for this kind of thing, right?

The idea is to make spell DCs so high that enemies won't disbelieve my illusions, and therefore I can go Shadowcraft mage and cast illusions without bothering to raise their "reality" (the percentage given with the spell). This also helps my enchantments a lot.

And then I can take Cold Focus and Greater Cold Focus, which are better than Spell Focus.

Thurbane
2018-04-18, 05:05 PM
Hmm, I was going to suggest Snowcasting + Energy Substitution, but since Snowcasting only adds the cold descriptor as you cast the spell, might be problematic.

The Diabolist PrC can add the Evil descriptor to spells, but that's not much use here.

The Violate Spell, Corrupt Spell and Debilitating Spell feats similarly add the Evil descriptor: again, not much help.

The Consecrate Spell and Purify Spell feats adds the Good descriptor to spells.

The Holy Scourge PrC can also add the Good descriptor to spells.

The Umbral Spell feat adds the Darkness descriptor to spells.

The Archmage ability Mastery of Elements can change the energy descriptor of a spell as it's cast.

The Elemental Savant ability Elemental Speciality similarly changes all energy descriptor spells when cast to match his chosen element.

The Elemental Master PrC similarly can modify spells so they match the elemental descriptor of the attuned dragon.

the Force Missile Mage prC can add various elemental descriptors to Magic Missile spells.

Troacctid
2018-04-18, 05:55 PM
"Benefits from multiple draconic auras overlap, rather than stacking." (DM 86)

So it's a moot point—multiple energy auras won't actually increase the bonus. Stick with Snowcasting and a single aura.