PDA

View Full Version : Speculation 2018 Adventure Modules: What will they be?

the_brazenburn
2018-04-18, 04:32 PM
So, as we all know, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes comes out in a month. However, there are also two adventure books scheduled to come out later this year.

They are code-named Catacomb and Broadway, while MToF was Marathon.

Does anybody have any ideas of what sort of adventures we can expect?

Garfunion
2018-04-18, 04:46 PM
My wishful guess would be catacomb; Eberron and broadway; Darksun.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-18, 04:58 PM
I doubt new campaign settings would be introduced in adventures.

I think one will be a planar-based campaign focused on mid to high level play, possibly a rework of Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. In fact, given that they're being released fairly close together I wonder if it's going to be a full 1-20 path broken into two chunks, like the dragon path we already have.

Garfunion
2018-04-18, 05:11 PM
I doubt new campaign settings would be introduced in adventures.

Curse of Strahd is set in the Ravenloft campaign setting. I will agree, my wish for Eberron maybe to out there. However Darksun is a much “smaller” setting and could be do-able.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-18, 05:15 PM
Curse of Strahd is set in the Ravenloft campaign setting. I will agree, my wish for Eberron maybe to out there. However Darksun is a much “smaller” setting and could be do-able.

Ravenloft's always been small, though; you could be right about Dark Sun or any other smaller setting.

Millstone85
2018-04-18, 05:26 PM
Ravenloft's always been small, though; you could be right about Dark Sun or any other smaller setting.Does Spelljammer qualify as small?

First VGtM spoke of illithid and neogi ships, with a joke about hippo-people, and now the giff are confirmed to appear in MToF.

VGtM also associated neogi to 4e's aberrant stars, and now MToF is bringing back star spawn.

I am really starting to hope for a space adventure.

Beechgnome
2018-04-18, 05:26 PM
I think Catacomb will be an Undermountain adventure. Broadway... Honestly no clue. I feel like a trip to the feywild or Hell would be fun, and build off MToF.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-18, 05:34 PM
Does Spelljammer qualify as small?

First VGtM spoke of illithid and neogi ships, with a joke about hippo-people, and now the giff are confirmed to appear in MToF.

VGtM also associated neogi to 4e's aberrant stars, and now MToF is bringing back star spawn.

I am really starting to hope for a space adventure.

I think at this point anything other than the Vale, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, FR and Eberron qualifies as small, and I'm not too sure about DL.

EvilAnagram
2018-04-18, 05:36 PM
I think Catacomb will be an Undermountain adventure. Broadway... Honestly no clue. I feel like a trip to the feywild or Hell would be fun, and build off MToF.

Undermountain is a great bet. I don't see them staying out of the Forgotten Realms. If they pursue another setting, I would say maybe some old Greyhawk modules bundled together.

the_brazenburn
2018-04-18, 05:55 PM

Undermountain for sure. It fits so perfectly with TftYP.

Jama7301
2018-04-18, 06:14 PM
Based on nothing but tenuous associations in my brain... Broadway is a MTG themed, plane hopping adventure, a la Planes Chase.

JackPhoenix
2018-04-18, 06:49 PM
All previous adventures were inspired by great adventures from the past, even if they aren't outright remakes: HotDQ/RoT is Dragonlance, EE is... well, Temple of Elemental Evil, CoS is Ravenloft, STK is Against the Giants, ToA is Tomb of Horror.

"Dungeon" being Undermountain is reasonable guess (though we're also missing Slave Lords), and Broadway may have something to do with Great Modron March/Dead Gods.

Falcon X
2018-04-19, 07:39 AM
Ditto to Undermountain.

Broadway:
An adventure in Waterdeep.
Here we meet all these characters we have been hearing about like Mordenkainan, Volo, and Xanathar. The stars of the show, asit were.

Heck, maybe these two modules work together. One is Levels 1-10 and the othe 11-20

Rogerdodger557
2018-04-19, 07:55 AM
Broadway:
An adventure in Waterdeep.
Here we meet all these characters we have been hearing about like Mordenkainan, Volo, and Xanathar. The stars of the show, asit were.

Heck, maybe these two modules work together. One is Levels 1-10 and the othe 11-20

I'd love an urban adventure. All of the ones released have you going and traversing countries, but dammit, I want an adventure that takes place in an urban environment!

EvilAnagram
2018-04-19, 11:45 AM
I'd love an urban adventure. All of the ones released have you going and traversing countries, but dammit, I want an adventure that takes place in an urban environment!

Maybe Broadway is a murder mystery surrounding Waterdhavian musicals? It was mindflayers the whole time.

Avonar
2018-04-19, 11:50 AM
Would they do Undermountain having already done the Underdark in Out of the Abyss? It sounds like they could be thematically very similar and they've been avoiding that until now by the looks of it.

Falcon X
2018-04-19, 12:25 PM
Would they do Undermountain having already done the Underdark in Out of the Abyss? It sounds like they could be thematically very similar and they've been avoiding that until now by the looks of it.

They could be pretty different.
Out of the Abyss is about travel, taking days to get anywhere with cities and dungeons in between.

Undermountain would be like a giant dungeon crawl, like the beginning of Order if the Stick. It could also connect to Skullport which opens up a whole bucket of worms.

Anonymouswizard
2018-04-19, 12:42 PM
I think at this point anything other than the Vale, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, FR and Eberron qualifies as small, and I'm not too sure about DL.

Honestly, at this point I think anything apart from FR counts as 'essentially nonexistent'.

I mean, there's probably been more call for setting guides then rules supplements. We have one setting guide (in the Forgotten Realms, great), and a few rules supplements, but none of the settings people actually want (off the top of my head the big 3 being asked for are Dark Sun, Eberron, and Planescape, with Spelljammer coming fourth).

Urban adventures would be great, it might sound weird but I practically never do cross country or dungeon ones. I just find that there's so much more for players to do in the city (once they've stopped trying to rob every noble mansion).