PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help w/Beast Conclave

BlackbirdXX
2018-04-18, 07:40 PM
Hoping the playground can help me with a UA Ranger build (Beast Conclave)

Any source. Lv 1 to at least 7/10th, not sure about beyond. Standard array or point buy. Thinking 10S,15D,14C,12I,13W,8C before race.

For RP reasons, Hill Dwarf. Also for RP reasons I 'might' start or dip Cleric/Druid, or fluff Ranger with more 'religion'.
Need to figure out how to start and what domain?
Party will be another Hill Dwarf Cleric (Life or War) for sure (sibling, think Bouldershoulder Bros). A Half Elf bard or warlock? And wild card 4th member on occasion.

The main goal is to have a melee 'in the thick' build and have my pet and brother cleric at my side. With only 3 person party having another 'body' should help.
No issue picking my own beast (Wolf is the lead candidate, Ape and Wolf Spider also on the radar, open to suggestions). No issue with barding other than cost/time and possibly crafting/silvering it's attacks. But we will likely be low-mid magic overall. However, pets gets death saves and can spend HD on short rests.
Because I want my beast with me in melee, ranger levels are super important. (pet will only scale HD/ASI off of ranger levels) I figure I only have 1 lv to dip or I lose ASI.

Now how to make this work? TWF seems almost mandatory, otherwise I'm stuck with one attack and monsters will focus on my pet. I prefer sword/board generally however. The weapon cantrips are out, because I need to take the attack action for the pet reaction. Trying to figure out a way to be 'sticky'

I could dip Nature for shillelagh and heavy armor. Then I can dump Str and set Dex at 13/14 and pump Wis and Con and use a shield. But, my 1 d8+wis attack and higher AC versus pets 2+attacks for more damage and lower AC will likely make my pet the easy target. (Shield of Faith could help or have it dodge and only reaction attack?) With a life/war cleric in melee also helps, but I'd rather not my pet become a heal sponge. However with 2 ASI to a 20 wis, this opens up feats. Does adding Sentinel at 4th help enough?

TWF style puts AC at 16 but still likely on par or below my pet. And the bonus attack makes Hunters mark more attractive. Do I dip Cleric still to get spell progression and cantrips or rogue for an extra d6 plus expertise? Or other? Monk maybe?
If cleric, Nature strong still? Maybe create bonfire for a small bit of control when not Hunters mark or bless? shillelagh is kinda pointless because I have to pump Dex.
Or grave? False life is decent. Eyes of the grave would give me 1/2 of a third favored enemy. And I like the max heal from zero aspect. Just let my pet tank and die, spare him as a bonus and then maximize healing. Gives it a cruel Malar/beastlord type feel that I haven't done as a ranger before. Bonus points for using a whip. Kinda like the feel of this.
Forge has a great floating +1 bonus, but not much else.
Light gives Faerie fire and warding flare. Feels odd fit RP

Open to suggestions. Thanks

ImproperJustice
2018-04-18, 09:13 PM
Will you be using the PHB Ranger or the Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger as that makes a significant difference in build options?

BlackbirdXX
2018-04-18, 09:47 PM
Hoping the playground can help me with a UA Ranger build (Beast Conclave)

Revised ranger, not PHB. Thanks