PDA

View Full Version : Protean Adept [PrC]

The Demented One
2007-09-02, 07:33 PM
Protean Adept

Changelings are a race of shapeshifters, human-doppleganger crossbreeds, capable of taking on almost any appearance they can imagine. Factotums are adventurers that are masters of versatility, capable of sword fighting, lock picking, spellcasting, and other heroic feats. When you combine the two, the result is a Protean Adept, master of versatility. Protean Adepts are masters of mimicry, capable of imitating almost any talent another adventurer might possess. Their shapeshifting talents are legendary–any changeling can change his appearance, but a Protean Adept can truly transform himself, taking on a new form. Protean Adepts are rare, and their habit of disguising themselves as another kind of adventurer means that few know their true nature.

d8 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a Protean Adept, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: Changeling
Skills: Bluff 8 ranks, Disguise 8 ranks
Special: Arcane Dilettante class feature, Inspiration class feature

Class Skills
The Protean Adept treats all skills as being class skills.

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Cunning Aptitude, Jack of All Trades

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0| Protean Form

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Cunning Versatility (1 ability, 5th)

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Newfound Talents

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Versatile Dilettante

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Cunning Mutability

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Cunning Versatility (2 abilities, 10th)

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Master Shapeshifter

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|True Genius

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Cunning Versatility (3 abilities, 10th)
[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Alchemist of Life prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Jack of All Trades (Ex)
Your Protean Adept levels stack with your Factotum levels for determining how many inspiration points you receive each encounter, as well as the number and level of spells you may choose with the arcane dilettante class feature.

Cunning Aptitude (Ex)
At 1st level, you have refined your skills, allowing you to take undertake almost any task. By spending an inspiration point, you may choose a single skill for every three Factotum or Protean Adept levels. You are treated as having a number of ranks in that skill equal to ˝ your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels, unless you already have a higher number of ranks in that skill. In addition, even if you could normally not use that skill due to being untrained in it, you may use it. These temporary skill ranks last for 1 hour. If you use this ability a second time, you lose the temporary skill ranks from the first time you used it.

Protean Form (Ex)
At 2nd level, you can combine your natural shapeshifting talent with your brilliant flashes of inspiration, allowing you to mold your body into any form. You may spend an inspiration point to change into the shape of another humanoid creature, as the alter self spell, with caster level equal to your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels.

Cunning Versatility (Ex)
At 3rd level, you become adept at mimicking the talents of other adventurers. At the beginning of each day, you may choose a single class feature from another class. The class feature must be extraordinary, and it must be available at 5th level to a standard character class. By spending two inspiration points, you may gain that class feature for 1 minute. Your effective character level for that class feature is equal to your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels.

At 7th level, you may choose two class abilities to use with this ability each day, and at 10th level, you may choose three abilities. In addition, at 7th level, you gain the ability to choose class features available at 10th level, and at 10th level, you may choose class features available at 15th level. You must spend three inspiration points to gain a 10th level class feature, and four inspiration points to gain a 15th level class feature.

Newfound Talents (Ex)
At 4th level, your brilliant inspiration and mastery of improvisation lets you draw on talents you never knew you had. By spending an inspiration point, you may gain any feat or skill trick for 1 minute. You must meet all prerequisites of the feat or trick. If you choose a skill trick, then you may use it more than once per encounter. However, for each additional use you make of it, you must spend an inspiration point. If you use this ability a second time, you lose the bonus feat or skill trick from the first time you used it.

Versatile Dilettante (Sp or Ps)
At 5th level, your ability to mimic mystic abilities is broadened. When you gain this ability, you must choose divine magic or psionic powers. If you choose divine magic, then you may prepare divine spells from the Cleric spell list, as well as arcane spells, with your arcane dilettante class feature. If you choose psionic powers, then you may prepare powers from the Psion power list with your arcane dilettante ability. You do not spend power points to use these powers–instead, that are treated as having a number of power points spent on them equal to your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels, minus two, for determining what augments you may apply to them. You cannot choose psionic powers from discipline power lists. Regardless of which you choose, you cannot ready divine or psionic powers of the highest level of spell you can cast.

In addition, you gain an added degree of versatility in your choice of readied spells. As a standard action, you can switch out any spell you have prepared for a different spell (or power). However, if you do, then you cannot use the newly chosen spell for 5 rounds. You may switch out spells a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Cunning Mutability (Ex)
At 6th level, you gain the ability to reshape your mind and body, using your shapechanging talent and inspiration to recreate yourself. You may spend two inspiration points to grant yourself a +6 bonus to one ability score, a +4 bonus to two ability scores, or a +2 bonus to three ability scores. The bonuses last for ten minutes. If you use this ability a second time, you lose the bonuses from the first time you used it.

Master Shapeshifter (Ex)
At 8th level, you have mastered the art of reshaping your body, using your inborn genius to take on a diverse array of forms. You may spend an inspiration point to change into the shape of another creature, as the polymorph spell, with caster level equal to your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels.

True Genius (Ex)
At 9th level, nothing is beyond you. Whenever you would make an attack roll, skill check, or saving through, you may instead spend 4 inspiration points. If you do, then you are treated as though you had rolled a natural 20.

Gralamin
2007-09-02, 11:07 PM
Protean Adept

Changelings are a race of shapeshifters, human-doppleganger crossbreeds, capable of taking on almost any appearance they can imagine. Factotums are adventurers that are masters of versatility, capable of sword fighting, lock picking, spellcasting, and other heroic feats. When you combine the two, the result is a Protean Adept, master of versatility. Protean Adepts are masters of mimicry, capable of imitating almost any talent another adventurer might possess. Their shapeshifting talents are legendary–any changeling can change his appearance, but a Protean Adept can truly transform himself, taking on a new form. Protean Adepts are rare, and their habit of disguising themselves as another kind of adventurer means that few know their true nature.

Factotum Stuff? YES!

d8 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a Protean Adept, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: Changeling
Skills: Bluff 8 ranks, Disguise 8 ranks
Special: Arcane Dilettante class feature, Inspiration class feature

Class Skills
The Protean Adept treats all skills as being class skills.

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.
Fine so Far

Table

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Jack of All Trades (Ex)
Your Protean Adept levels stack with your Factotum levels for determining how many inspiration points you receive each encounter, as well as the number and level of spells you may choose with the arcane dilettante class feature, if you have it.
Bolded part is extraneous do to requirements.

Cunning Aptitude (Ex)
At 2nd level, you have refined your skills, allowing you to take undertake almost any task. By spending an inspiration point, you may choose a single skill for every three Factotum or Protean Adept levels. You are treated as having a number of ranks in that skill equal to ˝ your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels, unless you already have a higher number of ranks in that skill. In addition, even if you could normally not use that skill due to being untrained in it, you may use it. These temporary skill ranks last for 1 hour. If you use this ability a second time, you lose the temporary skill ranks from the first time you used it.
I like it

Protean Form (Ex)
At 2nd level, you can combine your natural shapeshifting talent with your brilliant flashes of inspiration, allowing you to mold your body into any form. You may spend an inspiration point to change into the shape of another humanoid creature, as the alter self spell, with caster level equal to your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels.
Alter self is a bit risky, but fine.

Cunning Versatility (Ex)
At 3rd level, you become adept at mimicking the talents of other adventurers. At the beginning of each day, you may choose a single class feature from another class. The class feature must be extraordinary, and it must be available at 5th level to a standard character class. By spending two inspiration points, you may gain that class feature for 1 minute. Your effective character level for that class feature is equal to your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels.
I like it. Question though, Can this be used once per day, or once per encounter, or however long you throw inspiration points into it?

At 7th level, you may choose two class abilities to use with this ability each day, and at 10th level, you may choose three abilities. In addition, at 7th level, you gain the ability to choose class features available at 10th level, and at 10th level, you may choose class features available at 15th level. You must spend three inspiration points to gain a 10th level class feature, and four inspiration points to gain a 15th level class feature.
Makes Sense

Newfound Talents (Ex)
At 4th level, your brilliant inspiration and mastery of improvisation lets you draw on talents you never knew you had. By spending an inspiration point, you may gain any feat or skill trick for 1 minute. You must meet all prerequisites of the feat or trick. If you choose a skill trick, then you may use it more than once per encounter. However, for each additional use you make of it, you must spend an inspiration point.
I really like it.

At 5th level, your ability to mimic mystic abilities is broadened. When you gain this ability, you must choose divine magic or psionic powers. If you choose divine magic, then you may prepare divine spells from the Cleric spell list, as well as arcane spells, with your arcane dilettante class feature. If you choose psionic powers, then you may prepare powers from the Psion power list with your arcane dilettante ability. You do not spend power points to use these powers–instead, that are treated as having a number of power points spent on them equal to your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels, minus two, for determining what augments you may apply to them. You cannot choose psionic powers from discipline power lists. Regardless of which you choose, you cannot ready divine or psionic powers of the highest level of spell you can cast.

In addition, you gain an added degree of versatility in your choice of readied spells. As a standard action, you can switch out any spell you have prepared for a different spell (or power). However, if you do, then you cannot use the newly chosen spell for 5 rounds. You may switch out spells a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence modifier.
I have searched for such an ability for a long long time. Thank you.

Cunning Mutability (Ex)
At 6th level, you gain the ability to reshape your mind and body, using your shapechanging talent and inspiration to recreate yourself. You may spend an inspiration point to grant yourself a +6 bonus to one ability score, a +4 bonus to two ability scores, or a +2 bonus to three ability scores. The bonuses last for ten minutes. If you use this ability a second time, you lose the bonuses from the first time you used it.
I can see a problem with this, mostly that you can use inspiration points every 5 minutes or once an encounter (unless I'm crazy)

Master Shapeshifter (Ex)
At 8th level, you have mastered the art of reshaping your body, using your inborn genius to take on a diverse array of forms. You may spend an inspiration point to change into the shape of another creature, as the polymorph spell, with caster level equal to your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels.
Sounds good, as you should be at about 13th level anyways.

True Genius (Ex)
At 9th level, nothing is beyond you. Whenever you would make an attack roll, skill check, or saving through, you may instead spend 4 inspiration points. If you do, then you are treated as though you had rolled a natural 20.
WOW. I like this. Yes...

Looks good to me.

The Demented One
2007-09-02, 11:32 PM
Bolded part is extraneous do to requirements.
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. AD wasn't a requirement until I came up with the Versatile Dilettante ability.

Alter self is a bit risky, but fine.
I figure since they can normally pick it up with arcane dilettante a few levels earlier, it's okay. Granted, all polymorphing spells do have pretty bad potential for abusability...

I like it. Question though, Can this be used once per day, or once per encounter, or however long you throw inspiration points into it?
The last one.

I can see a problem with this, mostly that you can use inspiration points every 5 minutes or once an encounter (unless I'm crazy)
I haven't seen anything about how often you can use them outside of encounters, but I get your point. I might up the inspiration point cost.

MeklorIlavator
2007-09-02, 11:32 PM
True Genius (Ex)

Only problem with this would be vorpal weapons. A balancing factor might be the cost, though I don't quite know the rules on Inspiration points.

Gralamin
2007-09-02, 11:49 PM
I haven't seen anything about how often you can use them outside of encounters, but I get your point. I might up the inspiration point cost.

Yes I'm crazy it seems. You only gain them in an encounter. I do know many people house rule 1/encounter or 5 minutes though (even though thats not a RAW discussion and therefore doesn't matter).

martyboy74
2007-09-03, 05:03 PM
Cunning versatility should probably be changed to "by fifth level", instead of "at fifth level". Also, could you draw from multiple classes and get abilities that stack upon each other (ex: Trapsense from Barbarian and Rogue)?

EvilElitest
2007-09-04, 12:19 AM
Love it, amazing, the true jack of all trades
from,
EE

The Demented One
2007-09-04, 09:08 PM
Cunning versatility should probably be changed to "by fifth level", instead of "at fifth level". Also, could you draw from multiple classes and get abilities that stack upon each other (ex: Trapsense from Barbarian and Rogue)?
Pft...that would depend on if the class features would normally stack, which I'm pretty sure they would, in the case of trap sense.

Gralamin
2007-09-04, 10:54 PM
Pft...that would depend on if the class features would normally stack, which I'm pretty sure they would, in the case of trap sense.

I think you are correct, however, who really wants that much trap sense?

The Demented One
2007-09-05, 11:58 AM
I don't know. I guess the guys who came across Tucker's Kobolds would appreciate it.

FireSpark
2007-09-05, 02:44 PM

The guy who is handed a pointed stick, and gets shoved head-first into a hallway as the designated trapfinder?

Might not mind having quite a bit of trap sense then, huh? :smalltongue:

Wubs
2010-02-28, 10:59 AM
My GM will allow this PrC but he has a houserule of no alter self/polymorph spells, so was wondering what would be viable replacements for those abilities? (he'll allow something similar, etc)

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-02-28, 01:13 PM
Only problem with this would be vorpal weapons. A balancing factor might be the cost, though I don't quite know the rules on Inspiration points.

I would suggest that a clause be added to True Genius to the effect of "Any special abilities that trigger on a critical hit or natural 20 do not activate when this ability is used." Those abilities are balanced on the assumption that crits/natural 20s are fairly rare, and even builds that focus on getting a 12-20 crit range can wreck things with crit-dependent abilities, much less a natural-20-on-demand build.

Otherwise, I really like what I see; I'm playing a changeling factotum/chameleon at the moment, and while I'm glad I can cast some divine spells and get a floating feat, this PrC definitely fits what I was looking to do with him better than chameleon.

Apropos
2010-02-28, 01:23 PM
My GM will allow this PrC but he has a houserule of no alter self/polymorph spells, so was wondering what would be viable replacements for those abilities? (he'll allow something similar, etc)

If your DM is worried about polymorph breaking the game, you'll be getting it at level 13 at the earliest. Its not really going to be an issue.

If he still doesn't agree, then have him look at Rich's Polymorph Fix (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/dC21fDHZ4tK8n5OjUm9.html) and Other Shapechanging Spells (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/PbpHATjPkec7E82kEmo.html)

waterpenguin43
2010-02-28, 05:33 PM
:smalltongue: When I saw this thread, I thought it said Protein adept.

Wubs
2010-03-03, 05:08 PM
Hey folks- Any suggestions for True Genius swap for an ability in this class? I get the alter self/polymorph now, but need to get something else for that slot.

DracoDei
2010-03-03, 07:39 PM
Note that I don't know how factotums work.

Class Features
Should be "protean adept".

Cunning Aptitude (Ex)
At 1st level, you have refined your skills, allowing you to take undertake almost any task. By spending an inspiration point, you may choose a single skill for every three Factotum or Protean Adept levels.
So pick either Factorum OR Protean Adept levels? Or add them together, then divide by 3?

Cunning Versatility (Ex)
At 3rd level, you become adept at mimicking the talents of other adventurers. At the beginning of each day, you may choose a single class feature from another class. The class feature must be extraordinary, and it must be available at 5th level to a standard character class.
I recommend you specify BASE class, "standard" is nebulous to me.

Newfound Talents (Ex)
At 4th level, your brilliant inspiration and mastery of improvisation lets you draw on talents you never knew you had. By spending an inspiration point, you may gain any feat or skill trick for 1 minute. You must meet all prerequisites of the feat or trick. If you choose a skill trick, then you may use it more than once per encounter. However, for each additional use you make of it, you must spend an inspiration point. If you use this ability a second time, you lose the bonus feat or skill trick from the first time you used it.

So skill tricks are generally limited to 1/encounter? Also, this might get nasty with Mage-Slayer feats...

At 5th level, your ability to mimic mystic abilities is broadened. When you gain this ability, you must choose divine magic or psionic powers. If you choose divine magic, then you may prepare divine spells from the Cleric spell list, as well as arcane spells, with your arcane dilettante class feature. If you choose psionic powers, then you may prepare powers from the Psion power list with your arcane dilettante ability. You do not spend power points to use these powers–instead, that are treated as having a number of power points spent on them equal to your Factotum levels plus your Protean Adept levels, minus two, for determining what augments you may apply to them.
Do some psionic powers have an ongoing maintenance cost? If so, how do you calculate how long you can maintain the power?

Very interesting... I think I like it.

Cunning Mutability (Ex)
At 6th level, you gain the ability to reshape your mind and body, using your shapechanging talent and inspiration to recreate yourself. You may spend two inspiration points to grant yourself a +6 bonus to one ability score, a +4 bonus to two ability scores, or a +2 bonus to three ability scores. The bonuses last for ten minutes. If you use this ability a second time, you lose the bonuses from the first time you used it.

I would consider giving this for physical abilities, then upgrading it to include mental abilities at a later level. Also, is this an untyped bonus? I suppose it is and should be, and it makes a good stepping stone to approaching the Polymorph level of versatility.

Master Shapeshifter (Ex)

Yep, had to do this sooner or later.

True Genius (Ex)
Should be "Throw".
Looks very powerful at first glance... but then again, a Diamond Mind adept has been doing stuff almost this good since about 9th level (Action Before Thought, Moment of Perfect Mind, and Mind Over Body. plus or minus some for magic items and feats) and the Iron Heart Adept has been doing something better than this since and stays that way once I realized it applied to Attack Rolls (and incidentally skill checks). At the very least, ramp up the cost I think.... How many inspiration points do Factotums get per encounter? Perhaps I am overestimating that...

Perhaps you can spend a number of inspiration points before you roll, if you roll less than (Inspiration Points Spent x 3) you instead treat the die result as (Inspiration Points Spent x 3). This is capped at 20 on the die, but if you spend those 7 inspiration points you treat it as a natural 20...

Siosilvar
2010-03-03, 07:40 PM
Should be "Throw".

"are treated as throw you rolled a natural 20" doesn't work.

DracoDei
2010-03-03, 07:58 PM
"are treated as throw you rolled a natural 20" doesn't work.

You are looking in the wrong place... I should have underlined...

There we go.

Wubs
2010-03-08, 12:48 PM
Just curious, are the class features that don't have (Ex) next to them simply untyped then?

Wubs
2010-03-12, 10:38 AM
So played this at lvl 8, factotum 5/protean adept 3.

Have to say, amazingly fun.

All the alter self puzzle solving became very handy, flying, or being able to burrow, etc during a dungeon crawl.

Cunning versatility: Animal companion was a bit funny, since I could snag a magebred tiger for one use, and another time, used a dire bat to give another PC the ability to fly and charge when we had to leave our mounts behind.

Only other things I could see remotely as good as that would be raging or steely resolve from what I've seen of the level 5 or lower ability.

Cunning aptitude + Cunning knowledge: Made me as expected a monster at skill stuff.