PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Finding a use for expensive material.

SangoProduction
2018-04-18, 10:03 PM
So, assuming that you aren't prone to ripping people off by using conjured gold to buy things, how are you supposed to use the following, when they last for a couple minutes, and don't come in to play as magic items:

lvl 10: Precious metals (gold, silver)
lvl 15: Specialty metals (cold iron, mithril), gems [explicitly not Adamantine]

So...yeah. These are weird. The cold iron I could at least see the possibility of conjuring it as a sword, and handing it off to your warrior. Kinda the same with the silver, actually. But by level 15, cold iron is incredibly affordable. You can't conjure it as magic anyway.

Mithril is cool for armor, as always. I guess it does have a bit of use in being able to create those on the fly instead of being weighed down by armor all the time. But the entire point of mithril is that you aren't really being weighed down that much. Plus, I think Calling armor enhancement is a thing in PF, for really cheap.

Have you guys got any uses? What about notable specialty metals not mentioned?

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-18, 10:27 PM
Distracting a Xorn (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/xorn/)?

SangoProduction
2018-04-18, 10:41 PM
Distracting a Xorn (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/xorn/)?

What an interesting find.

Crake
2018-04-19, 05:01 AM
Mithril can also be used to make weapons to bypass DR/silver without the -1 damage penalty.

Youn can also use it to make expensive focus componets. The products cannot be used as material components, but say for example, you had just learned analyze dweomer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/analyzeDweomer.htm), but hadn't had the time to make/buy the 1500gp focus for it, you could cast major creation to create the focus, then use it to cast analyze dweomer. (I couldn't find analyze dweomer on the pathfinder site, but the point still stands)

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-19, 08:12 AM
Mithril can also be used to make weapons to bypass DR/silver without the -1 damage penalty.
I'm not familiar with this process. Where is that particular rule found?

Psyren
2018-04-19, 09:31 AM
You can use it to make special material projectiles, like arrows, bullets, bolts, cartridges etc. Not only will this avoid the high cost of buying special material missiles individually, you also don't have to worry about making them magical since they will just import the enhancement from the launching weapon (e.g. [cross]bow, sling, gun etc) anyway.

It's unclear whether you'd have to make one projectile at a time though, or whether something like "quiver of arrows" would fly.

As for non-projectile weapons - you can make those too, and then slap GMW on them afterward. This method is helpful for taking on enemies with DR and regen.

Crake
2018-04-19, 02:01 PM
I'm not familiar with this process. Where is that particular rule found?

it's a pathfinder exclusive rule, it's found under the mithril special material rules text on page 155 of the core rulebook.

Mithral weapons count as silver for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Personally, I carry over the rule to my 3.5 games, as it gives you a reason to use mithril for weapons.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-19, 03:16 PM
it's a pathfinder exclusive rule, it's found under the mithril special material rules text on page 155 of the core rulebook.
One of the problems of going from 3.5 to Pathfinder is that there is a tendency not to read every single rule or entry closely. Too often if it looks like the same rules you just skim over it. Little differences like this are so easily missed. Thanks for pointing it out!

SangoProduction
2018-04-19, 06:31 PM
You can use it to make special material projectiles, like arrows, bullets, bolts, cartridges etc. Not only will this avoid the high cost of buying special material missiles individually, you also don't have to worry about making them magical since they will just import the enhancement from the launching weapon (e.g. [cross]bow, sling, gun etc) anyway.

It's unclear whether you'd have to make one projectile at a time though, or whether something like "quiver of arrows" would fly.

As for non-projectile weapons - you can make those too, and then slap GMW on them afterward. This method is helpful for taking on enemies with DR and regen.

Oh. That's actually quite notable. I forgot about projectiles carrying the weapons' enchantment.

Crake
2018-04-19, 11:04 PM
One of the problems of going from 3.5 to Pathfinder is that there is a tendency not to read every single rule or entry closely. Too often if it looks like the same rules you just skim over it. Little differences like this are so easily missed. Thanks for pointing it out!

Yeah, I happened across it after recieving a mithril dagger in curse of the crimson throne JUST after we fought some lycanthropes (that is, I got the mithril dagger, then we fought the lycanthropes, then I found the rule :smallsigh: would have been useful to know beforehand)