PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Brew Potion, Revised

rferries
2018-04-19, 03:57 AM
"We're going to the Elemental Plane of Fire or the Negative Energy Plane, but resist fire/death ward won't last long enough!"

"Healing potions can't actually heal!"

"Craft Wondrous Item can do anything (why aren't elixirs considered potions???)!"

"If alter self only lasts 10 minutes/level, how did Ursula (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_(The_Little_Mermaid)) get a caster level of 432 (to turn Ariel human for 3 whole days)?"

Never fear, this feat solves all those problems! If you use it in your system, any non-scroll item with only 1 use or charge should be created through this feat rather than Craft Wondrous Item.

Brew Potion [Item Creation]
You can brew magical concoctions and foodstuffs.

Prerequisites
Caster level 3rd, Craft (alchemy) 6 ranks.

Benefits
You can craft magical potions, elixirs, foodstuffs, and similar consumable items that duplicate the effects of a spell of any level. When you create a potion, you set the caster level, which must be sufficient to cast the spell in question and no higher than your own level. The base price of a potion is its spell level × its caster level × 50 gp. To brew a potion, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one half this base price.

Any potion that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when creating the potion. Creating such an item also requires a Craft (alchemy) check (DC 10 + caster level of the item to create).

When duplicating a non-instantaneous, non-damaging spell with a range of "personal" or a save of "harmless", the duration of the effect is increased to up to one day per caster level of the consumable item.

Any decisions that would be made when casting a duplicated spell are made when creating the item (e.g. a potion of shapechange allows a character to assume only one pre-defined shape, rather than changing shape every round). For ranged spells (e.g. fireball, cone of cold, etc.) the crafter typically specifies "the effect occurs the minimum distance from the user that would not include her in the area, in the direction she is currently facing" and so forth.

Special
This feat is used even to create non-edible consumable magic items (such as oils, feather tokens, etc.). It is simply assumed that you create a magic potion or other substance that is applied to the finished item to imbue it with the desired properties.

An item created with this feat functions only once, even if it is not physically consumed when activated.

Sample Consumables
Elven Bread
"Eat little at a time, and only at need. For these things are given to serve you when all else fails. The cakes will keep sweet for many many days, if they are unbroken and left in their leaf-wrappings, as we have brought them. One will keep a traveler on his feet for a day of long labour, even if he be one of the tall men of Minas Tirith."

These thin, silvery cakes are created in sets of 8 and are packaged in layers bound with leaves. Each cake acts as a goodberry, save that while packaged it will keep indefinitely without spoiling. The secrets of their creation are a closely-guarded elven secret, and [Evil] creatures find them revolting.
Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Brew Potion, goodberry or creator must be an elf; Price 50 gp.

Foodstuffs of Wonder(land)
Soon her eye fell upon a little glass box lying underneath the table. She opened it and found in it a very small cake, on which the words "EAT ME" were beautifully marked in currants.

These items allow a creature to either grow or shrink, as if by enlarge person or reduce person. They are typically produced as small cakes, potions, tarts, mushroom slices, or even as small fans (waving the fan activates the magic). The effects last for 24 hours.
Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Brew Potion, enlarge person or reduce person; Price 50 gp.

Halfling Brandy
The lucky drink of the smallfolk.

This small bottle of golden brandy warms the bones and the spirits. It grants the drinker a +1 luck bonus to saves and Armour Class for 24 hours.
Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Brew Potion, divine favour; Price 50 gp.

Orc Grog
Uglúk cut the thongs round Pippin's legs and ankles, picked him up by his hair and stood him on his feet. Pippin fell down, and Uglúk dragged him up by his hair again. Several Orcs laughed. Uglúk thrust a flask between his teeth and poured some burning liquid down his throat: he felt a hot fierce glow flow through him. The pain in his legs and ankles vanished.

This potent orcish liquour grants the drinker bravery and great stamina, even if they are in pain or continuing on a forced march. The user heals 10 points of non-lethal damage. She also gains the benefits of the Endurance feat (doubling any bonuses if she already possesses that feat) and remove fear for one day.
Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Brew Potion, remove fear or creator must be an orc; Price 50 gp.

Peddler's Disguise Formula
"Now, a formula to transform my beauty into ugliness, change my queenly raiment to a peddler's cloak.
Mummy dust, to make me old.
To shroud my clothes, the black of night.
To age my voice, an old hag's cackle.
To whiten my hair, a scream of fright!
A blast of wind, to fan my hate!
A thunderbolt, to mix it well.
Now... begin thy magic spell..."

This potion allows a humanoid to assume the form of a venerable creature of its type, as if by alter self. In spite of its withered appearance the creature does not actually gain any aging penalties or benefits. The creature's garb is similarly transformed to resemble a beggar's rags or similar humble clothing. The effect lasts for five days or until dismissed by the creature.
Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Brew Potion, cause fear, darkness, gust of wind, hideous laughter, lightning bolt, ray of enfeeblement; Price 750 gp.
Replace item details with "CL 1st; disguise self; 50 gp." or "CL 3rd; alter self; 300 gp."
Potion of Humanity
"Now, here's the deal. I will make you a potion that will turn you into a human for three days. Got that? Three days. Now listen, this is important. Before the sun sets on the third day, you've got to get dear ol' princey to fall in love with you. That is, he's got to kiss you. Not just any kiss... the Kiss of True Love.

"Iiiiiif he does kiss you before the sun sets on the third day, you'll remain human, permanently!

"But if he doesn't, you turn back into a mermaid, and you belong... to me."

This potion allows a merfolk to transform into a human, as if by alter self. The effect lasts for three days but requires that the user willingly enter into a black magic bargain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?525121-Black-Magic-Bargain-(spell)) with the crafter (which typically increases the duration to permanent if the user completes a certain task for the crafter, or incurs unpleasant penalties if they fail).
Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Brew Potion, alter self, black magic bargain; Price 750 gp.

Poisoned Apple
"The dwarves will think she's dead! She'll be BURIED ALIVE HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAA!"

This ruby-red apple looks perfectly ripe and delectable, but one bite from it causes the user to fall into a deep sleep resembling death. The creature does not need to eat or breathe and does not age but is cannot be distinguished from a dead creature without magical assistance (unless it is observed that the creature does not decay). The creature remains asleep until it receives neutralise poison, remove curse, break enchantment, a more powerful spell, or a kiss from its true love.
Moderate necromancy; CL 7th; Brew Potion, bestow curse or poison; Price 1,400 gp.

Powder of Life
"Where is my Powder of Life? Oh Ah, here it is!" Mombi cried, joyfully. "And now let us see if it is potent. The stingy Magician didn't give me much of it, but I guess there's enough for two or three doses." Tip was much surprised when he overheard this speech. Then he saw old Mombi raise her arm and sprinkle the powder from the box over the pumpkin head of his man Jack. She did this in the same way one would pepper a baked potato, and the powder sifted down from Jack's head and scattered over the red shirt and pink waistcoat and purple trousers Tip had dressed him in, and a portion even fell upon the patched and worn shoes.

Then, putting the pepper-box back into the basket, Mombi lifted her left hand, with its little finger pointed upward, and said: "Weaugh! " Then she lifted her right hand, with the thumb pointed upward, and said: "Teaugh! " Then she lifted both hands, with all the fingers and thumbs spread out, and cried: "Peaugh!".

Jack Pumpkinhead stepped back a pace, at this, and said in a reproachful voice: "Don't yell like that! Do you think I'm deaf? " Old Mombi danced around him, frantic with delight. "He lives! ", she screamed. "He lives! He lives! "

This glittering powder may imbue virtually any object with life, as if by greater awaken (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?553923-Greater-Awaken-Conversion-(spells)).
Strong transmutation; CL 13th; Brew Potion, greater awaken; Price 5,800 gp.

Climowitz
2018-04-19, 06:44 AM
I like it, specially the Extended duration for some spells

rferries
2018-04-19, 03:37 PM
I like it, specially the Extended duration for some spells

Thanks! And yeah, the extended duration is the main draw.

ShiningStarling
2018-04-19, 04:43 PM
CL 432 for 3 days actually, 144 for 1 day *quick maths* :3

I like the concept here, definitely that all consumables should be under one feat, though I think the wording could stand a little cleaning up (i.e. actually saying something to the effect of "all single use, consumable items that are not scrolls")

Also, the effort to make D&D more able to replicate fairy tales is admirable, but I think Black Magic Bargain should really be more of a pact magic subsystem than a single blanket spell, with more explicitly stated rules to it. The spell gets the job done, but I think you would save yourself a lot of adaptation time in the long run getting all in one place.

FreddyNoNose
2018-04-19, 04:48 PM
::golf clap::

rferries
2018-04-19, 05:24 PM
CL 432 for 3 days actually, 144 for 1 day *quick maths* :3

I like the concept here, definitely that all consumables should be under one feat, though I think the wording could stand a little cleaning up (i.e. actually saying something to the effect of "all single use, consumable items that are not scrolls")

Also, the effort to make D&D more able to replicate fairy tales is admirable, but I think Black Magic Bargain should really be more of a pact magic subsystem than a single blanket spell, with more explicitly stated rules to it. The spell gets the job done, but I think you would save yourself a lot of adaptation time in the long run getting all in one place.

Oh good grief, forgot to multiply by 3. Thanks for catching that :D

The feat wording was a bit tricky... I tried to reference the item creation rules in general but perhaps the formula should be explicit (spell level x caster level x 50 gp, plus XP costs etc.).

The potion of humanity can be dumped or simplified into a plain potion of alter self; the black magic bargain was just a bit of flavour. Black magic bargain was one of my first posts here so it could definitely use some overhauling, as you say... on the other hand it's really only useful to villains (or evil PCs who want to toy with some commoners) so I don't know if it's worth the effort.

::golf clap::

Ha thanks!

Goaty14
2018-04-19, 09:55 PM
Thanks! And yeah, the extended duration is the main draw.

The craftificer is going to have a field day. :smallcool:

rferries
2018-04-19, 10:27 PM
The craftificer is going to have a field day. :smallcool:

Yes, the economics of these are tricky... I don't see them as breaking the economy but they're certainly more viable than many wondrous items (especially for niche effects).