PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tempest Cleric Help Requested

OzDragon
2018-04-19, 08:44 AM
Ok I have decided on my replacement character since my last one died.

Caldur Mathison

Human(V) Tempest Cleric 5
Background: Soldier
Feat: Warcaster

Str 16 (15 +1)
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 16 (13 +1,+2 Level 4)
Cha 12

Warhammer/Shield

The other option is to change the race to Protector Aasimar and lose Warcaster but the stats end up the same. They also get the bonus racial stuff.

Most important question is this. Does being an Aasimar and all the racial abilities make up for not having warcaster?

Any optimization thoughts are welcome!

thanks

Specter
2018-04-19, 08:53 AM
It depends on what Aasimar we're talking about. DMG, Protector, Scourge...?

But in general, I say no. Aasimar's main boost is CHA, and that's not even good for you. The coolest thing they'll probably give you is darkvision. Warcaster's benefits are too solid to pass.

Also in the future get your hands on Booming Blade if you can, that does wonders for Tempest's melee damage.

OzDragon
2018-04-19, 08:55 AM
It depends on what Aasimar we're talking about. DMG, Protector, Scourge...?

But in general, I say no. Aasimar's main boost is CHA, and that's not even good for you. The coolest thing they'll probably give you is darkvision. Warcaster's benefits are too solid to pass.

Also in the future get your hands on Booming Blade if you can, that does wonders for Tempest's melee damage.

Oh you are right I'll amend the OP. Protector

Should I take my first level in Sorcerer(Storm)?

Waazraath
2018-04-19, 10:28 AM
I really woulnd't multiclass into storm sorcerer, certainly not to get a cantrip. If you want to multiclass in storm sorcerer for flavour, tempest cleric 2 / storm storcerer X is a much stronger build (due to maximized Lightning bolts and Chain lightnings).

If you want booming blade (which is a very good suggestion), get it through a feat, or racial ability (feat and variant human, or High elf, or Half elf variant from SCAG).

Imo, warcaster is overrated for low level Clerics. You might want it later in the game, but at level 5, meh. but it depends a bit on how much you want concentration spells, and if you can stay back in the party when running one. If you're always in melee, and you spend all your slots on bless / shield of faith / spirit guardians (instead of aid, healing word, and spiritual weapons), it gets better.

I'd just pick a race that you think is cool. You could, btw, at level 5, go for both Aasimar and the warcaster feat at 4, can't you? In that case, drop the wis raise.

jaappleton
2018-04-19, 11:24 AM
VHuman with Magic Initiate to get Booming Blade for a Tempest. Take Warcaster at 4 or 8.

OzDragon
2018-04-19, 11:31 AM
VHuman with Magic Initiate to get Booming Blade for a Tempest. Take Warcaster at 4 or 8.

This is what I'll do. Take shield as my once a day spell?

I was also thinking of starting fighter for either +1 ac or +2 damage and con sav prof. That does not slow my spell casting down much

Specter
2018-04-19, 12:13 PM
This is what I'll do. Take shield as my once a day spell?

I was also thinking of starting fighter for either +1 ac or +2 damage and con sav prof. That does not slow my spell casting down much

Starting Fighter is a great idea. Defense should be better.

As for the 1/day spell, Find Familiar will last a lot longer than Shield FWIW.

Waazraath
2018-04-19, 12:24 PM
Personally: 1 lvl fighter is no way worth it. Maybe for a class like Wizard, that doesn't have armor proficiency; but one entire level for proficiency in con saves (and you loose proficiency wis saves for this), a very minor healing, and either +1 ac or +2 damage: nope. Cleric abilities (channel divinity!) and spells are just too good. All the more with Tempest cleric, that gains more spell and higher spell slots, and more times you can max damage with those.

CTurbo
2018-04-19, 02:50 PM
Don't multiclass.

You can start Vhuman with the Res(Con) feat at level 1 at have 16 Str, 14 Con, 16 Wis and then bump Wis to 18 at level 4.

You're basically trading Warcaster and Wis 16 for Res(Con) and Wis 18

Booming Blade doesn't really get good until 5th level so Magic Initiate would be a decent 8th level feat. I'd take Booming Blade, and one of the Lightning Cantrips like Lightning Lure or Shocking Grasp, and I would take Find Familiar instead of Shield. Remember, you can only cast the 1st level spell from the feat once per day. Find Familiar would be much more useful and consistent.

OzDragon
2018-04-19, 02:56 PM
Don't multiclass.

You can start Vhuman with the Res(Con) feat at level 1 at have 16 Str, 14 Con, 16 Wis and then bump Wis to 18 at level 4.

Booming Blade doesn't really get good until 5th level so Magic Initiate would be a decent 8th level feat. I'd take Booming Blade, and one of the Lightning Cantrips like Lightning Lure or Shocking Grasp, and I would take Find Familiar instead of Shield. Remember, you can only cast the 1st level spell from the feat once per day. Find Familiar would be much more useful and consistent.

Since the character is starting at 5th level would having it now be better?

Specter
2018-04-19, 03:06 PM
Personally: 1 lvl fighter is no way worth it. Maybe for a class like Wizard, that doesn't have armor proficiency; but one entire level for proficiency in con saves (and you loose proficiency wis saves for this), a very minor healing, and either +1 ac or +2 damage: nope. Cleric abilities (channel divinity!) and spells are just too good. All the more with Tempest cleric, that gains more spell and higher spell slots, and more times you can max damage with those.

Yeal, well, could go either way. The main benefit of Fighter 1 is not needing War Caster.

Don't multiclass.

Also good advice.

tieren
2018-04-19, 03:14 PM
Why aren't you a dwarf?

Tempest clerics should be dwarves.

feel the thunder.

CTurbo
2018-04-19, 03:21 PM
Since the character is starting at 5th level would having it now be better?

It's up to you. I guess it wouldn't make THAT much difference between having Magic Initiate at 4 and +2 Wis at 8 or the other way around. I personally like having my main casting stat at 18 by level 4, but it's not critical or anything.

I'd definitely 100% start Res(Con) at level 1 though and take Warcaster way later at 12 or 16.

Galadhrim
2018-04-19, 03:52 PM
What level do you expect to play to? Are you planning all the way to 20 or is this a typical game that ends somewhere 10-12?

OzDragon
2018-04-19, 04:30 PM
What level do you expect to play to? Are you planning all the way to 20 or is this a typical game that ends somewhere 10-12?

Probably in the 10-15ish area.

Galadhrim
2018-04-21, 09:37 AM
Probably in the 10-15ish area.

I think on those levels, especial 5-10, you get more out of warcaster than res(con). Especially if you are going booming blade, since you can then use it as your opportunity attack.

I would start at level 5 with your initial posted stats. Warcaster from VH and MI at level 4. At 8, take +2 wisdom.

For magic initiate, I completely agree with find familiar as your level 1 spell. Very useful in and out of combat and thematic for a tempest cleric depending on what you make the familiar. For your second cantrip, I would avoid shocking grasp and lightning lure. Your int mod will be -1. You will never cast them (learned this from experience). I would take one of the many useful utility cantrip. Minor illusion is my favorite, but prestidigitation, message, mold earth, shape water can all be useful.

djreynolds
2018-04-21, 10:51 AM
Off topic, I like wizard as much as sorcerer to pair with tempest cleric, evocation's sculpt spell is that good especially when you have friends in range

For war caster, being able to smack someone around with booming blade as your reaction is too good, so go war caster

Also, with arcane spells from sorcerer or wizard you will more than likely need war caster here if you are S&B

And the advantage on con checks is worth an average of +5, so resilient con can wait.

Spells like bless or even the resistance cantrip are good for spell saves if you are up against say undead and are scared of being paralyzed

I would stay human, you have gotten through the crucible of sorts and are now 5th level, here where the game expands and becomes more fun.

6th level is right there

You have a good build, grab sorcerer levels when it feels comfortable or feels cool story wise

MrWesson22
2018-04-21, 01:40 PM
This might be thinking a little outside the box, but you could take heavy armor master at 1 for the +1 str and damage reduction. It won't help you make the DC10 concentration saves, but it will help you when you take more than 20 damage for concentration and will always help your survivability.

bronzemountain
2018-04-22, 11:00 PM
You're better off as a VHuman. Aasimar is significantly better for Paladin builds (and weirdly doubles up on Paladin abilities). Stick with your Warcaster and enjoy riding the storm.

My Tempest has magic initiate / Booming Blade, and it is in fact lovely. However, it depends on how you want to play. It's possible to play as a support/melee enabler with bits of damage, for instance, and lean into Shield Master, in which case you'll need to skip Booming Blade.

If you're going to stop somewhere in the mid levels (10-15ish) then multiclassing is definitely going to hurt and you'll likely want to avoid it. If you're going all the way to 20, then dipping 3 levels of something else is an exceptionally good idea (because Cleric 18-20 is dull as dishwater).

CTurbo
2018-04-22, 11:29 PM
My most recent character is a Protector Aasimar Tempest Cleric and I think the flavor is GREAT expect for settling on a God, but yeah I agree that Aasimar is not the most optimized choice mechanically.

I was purposefully avoiding "the most optimized path" this time around. I was still able to start with 16 Wis and bumped Wis to 18 at level 4 so I'm still good.

The last time I played a Tempest I was a vhuman and took Heavy Armor Master at level 1 and it was great so that is a solid option as well, but I stand by my recommendation of starting Res(Con) at level 1 and either +2 Wis or Magic Initiate at level 4.