PDA

View Full Version : Cone of cold and fly speed

Belier
2018-04-19, 09:04 AM
Do you guus realise that if you cast cone of cold from 60ft above the spell is going to have a 30ft radius area on the ground. This is one way to make the spell more devastating.

OvisCaedo
2018-04-19, 09:12 AM
I mean... Sure. If there's space and time to fly that height above them. I suppose easier if you're already floating 60 feet up by habit. I could see it being helpful now and then, but frankly the spell hits a pretty good area as is, so I dunno that I'd often try to prioritize it. In fact I'd... probably almost never prioritize it, I don't really wanna be 60 feet up in the air dead center above a mob of enemies that might not be one-shot.

Unoriginal
2018-04-19, 09:24 AM
Yes, we realize that.

We also realize that using two spells for a 30ft radius circle AOE isn't particularly amazing, though it is potentially useful in some cases. It's roughly 1.5 time the area of the regular use of the cone, when both are used on "ground level" opponents.

Merudo
2018-04-19, 09:34 AM
I guess this tidbit is most useful while playing CoS?

BeefGood
2018-04-19, 11:11 AM
I had an oni do this. I thought it worked well (did significant damage to party).

JackPhoenix
2018-04-19, 04:45 PM
Step 1: Find Familiar for something that can fly. It doesn't even have to be owl (though owl is just naturally great compared to other options)
Step 2: Cast Dragon's Breath on the familiar. For 1 minute, the familiar can now exhale cone of energy of your choosing in 15' cone, or, on a grid, 15'x15' square directly underneath it
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

Killed small army of undead (dozens of them) like that while staying out of danger myself and shooting Fire Bolts into the horde. At level 4.

Asmotherion
2018-04-19, 05:11 PM
Step 1: Find Familiar for something that can fly. It doesn't even have to be owl (though owl is just naturally great compared to other options)
Step 2: Cast Dragon's Breath on the familiar. For 1 minute, the familiar can now exhale cone of energy of your choosing in 15' cone, or, on a grid, 15'x15' square directly underneath it
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

Killed small army of undead (dozens of them) like that while staying out of danger myself and shooting Fire Bolts into the horde. At level 4.

And that's why Dragon's Breath Wins.

You can either have an Instantaneus Effect that is... instantaneus.

Or you can have a continious AoE like Dragon's Breath. Make your Pseudodragon Familiar less Pseudo and more Dragon than Ever.

Or cast it on that guy who never optimises/always forgets to stock on arrows/brings a dagger in a magical duel/whatever. Profit.
In any case, I really like Dragon's Breath coupled with a nice Twin Spell. And they said you can't have the proverbial cake and eat it too, the fools :P Breath Weapon Cake for everyone!

Unoriginal
2018-04-19, 05:14 PM
Pretty sure you can't twin Dragon Breath, but I might be mistaken.

Asmotherion
2018-04-19, 05:37 PM
Pretty sure you can't twin Dragon Breath, but I might be mistaken.

I have in the past...allowed it as well. That said, we play more RAF than RAW, so I'm not sure either and I'm too bored to double check right now. :P

In any case, it's just too cool to ban, so even if it's not RAW give it a RAF pass :3