PDA

View Full Version : Can you start lvl 1 in a class if you don't have the multiclassing rule requirement?

Belier
2018-04-19, 12:35 PM
For example, let's say a character with 10 charisma still want to start as a lvl 1 sorcerer, can he do it.

I know there is a 13 charisma mininum requirement for multiclassing but as far as I know they don't ask for any requirement when you create your character at level 1.

It kinda feels illogical that it is a requirement to have 13 charismanif you want to go sorcerer at level 2 from another class but you could start from level 1 with 8 charisma.

At the same time, imagjne some one has terrible rolls and roll nothing above 8, he would not be able to choose a class if they had requirements.

Kish
2018-04-19, 12:38 PM
Yes. The multiclassing requirement is a requirement for multiclassing, not to have the class at all. The idea is that if you want to become a sorcerer after you already have a class you need above-average natural aptitude for it or you won't be able to pick it up.

nickl_2000
Yes, there are no minimum stats in 5e to go into a class at level 1. So, you could build a dex paladin with 8 strength. However, you wouldn't be able to multiclass that character at all since you don't meet the multiclass requirements to leave the Paladin class.

mgshamster
Yes.

The multiclassing requirements are only for multiclassing. They're not for single classed characters.

The idea is that you have to be naturally talented enough to become good as two or more career paths. If you're just aiming for one, then you don't need the same requirements.

Also, game balance.

Quoxis
2018-04-19, 12:39 PM
You can play a sorcerer with 6 charisma if you want - not terribly optimized, but possible by RAW.

Note however that you need to meet the multiclassing requirements of ALL classes your build includes - said low charisma sorcerer can’t take levels of any other class until they have 13 charisma, no matter if they want to dip into a charisma class or anything unrelated like fighter.

Edit: ninja‘d thrice within a minute. Y‘all are mad, guys.

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-19, 12:40 PM
Yes, there are no minimum stats in 5e to go into a class at level 1. So, you could build a dex paladin with 8 strength. However, you wouldn't be able to multiclass that character at all since you don't meet the multiclass requirements to leave the Paladin class.

This is really crucial to know, and a lot of people seem to skip this part.

You need a 13 in the required stat to multiclass INTO a class. AND you need a 13 in that same stat to multiclass OUT OF that class.

So, if you were Cleric 1 with a 12 Wisdom, you couldn't then multiclass into Fighter, even if you had a Str 18, since you don't have a 13 in Wisdom to multiclass out of Cleric.

nickl_2000
2018-04-19, 12:49 PM
This is really crucial to know, and a lot of people seem to skip this part.

You need a 13 in the required stat to multiclass INTO a class. AND you need a 13 in that same stat to multiclass OUT OF that class.

So, if you were Cleric 1 with a 12 Wisdom, you couldn't then multiclass into Fighter, even if you had a Str 18, since you don't have a 13 in Wisdom to multiclass out of Cleric.

Question. Is that 13 stat requirement the base or the current? For example, if I'm a Druid who has 9 strength, then I get some Gauntlets of Ogre Strength which give me 19 strength, can I multiclass to Barbarian?

Belier
2018-04-19, 12:52 PM
Wow thank you for these answers. So there's a rule to prevent multiclassing cheese. That's fair enaugh

Daphne
2018-04-19, 12:53 PM
Question. Is that 13 stat requirement the base or the current?

Yes, it's the base.

if I'm a Druid who has 9 strength, then I get some Gauntlets of Ogre Strength which give me 19 strength, can I multiclass to Barbarian?

No, you can't.

nickl_2000
2018-04-19, 01:01 PM
No, you can't.

I figured as much, it seemed like a cheat to do it that way :)

Daphne
2018-04-19, 01:03 PM
it seemed like a cheat to do it that way

Until you lose your magic item, then what would happen? Would you lose your levels in the second class?

nickl_2000
2018-04-19, 01:07 PM
Until you lose your magic item, then what would happen? Would you lose your levels in the second class?

You misunderstood my comment. It felt like a cheat to be able to multiclass because a magic item gave you the requirement for the exact reason you mentioned here.