PDA

View Full Version : some thoughts that kept me awake last night(class and a magic item)

danpit2991
2018-04-19, 09:50 PM
so i was trying to sleep last night and had a hard time because i was thinking about a new class and a magic item i wanted to ask you all what you think and ask for some ideas to help with it

here goes.....

Channeler
using your body as a lightning rod you tap into the ambient magic surrounding you in order to cast spells at the risk of severe bodily harm

casting stat CON

hit die D?? im thinking d8?

spell list- all lists IE pick spells from any list they count as channeler spells for ou

medium armor/shields/simple weapons

whenever you cast a non cantrip spell roll a D20 if the roll is equal to or less than the spells level you take 1D6 plus con mod necrotic damage
at third level choose between arcane path and divine path if you choose arcane/divine whenever you cast an arcane/divine spell add your proficiency bonus to the D20 roll for necrotic damage

thats what i got so far in my head not much but i think it is the seed of a cool idea maybe use sorcerer spells known ?

and the magic item

Malleable blade( maybe needs a cooler name
very rare????
requires attunement

when you find this sword, it appears to be a well made sword of its type and glows if detect magic is cast
when you attune to this sword you may choose what kind of sword it is short,long,great scimitar ECT. you may change the type of sword by meditating with the sword in hand for 1 hour

regardless of form, the sword has the following properties versatile,finesse.
regardless of form, damage is 2d4/1d10 of the type appropriate to the swords form

i thought about a enhancement bonus but dont know if that would be over the top but it certainly counts as magic for overcoming resistance

so there you go the products of a sleepless mind not very fleshed out but a ok start i think

Lord8Ball
2018-04-19, 10:28 PM
Malleable blade/Moonglum:
The hilt is made of some foreign substance similar to liquid mercury yet glows an eerie phosphorescent light. The blade itself is formed of twinkling starlight slowly drifting as the heavens do across the sky. This blessed ceremonial sword of the moon goddess Yarae can only be found when the stars align and the light shines upon a holy glade.
Effects:
1. Bright light 5ft, dim light 10ft
2. Can change form according to the will of the wielder
3. Deals an extra 1d6(cold damage) during the day and 2d6 during the night
4. During the full moon at night the caster can cast conjure natures allies.

Channeler:
D8 hp
For the channeler's spellcasting I'd recommend making your own 1d100 chart for effects similar to the wild sorcerer, yet make it thematic instead. Maybe add options in that chart that mimic metamagic or increase spell level at the cost of hp. I've been theorycrafting a metamagic that I think your class could use as a class ability. You could add spell points to power special class abilities.
Guided metamagic:2 pts
1.Converts range of your spells into movement points. This combo well with divination and attacking around cover.
2.you can shape aoe in cubes. So you can make a fire ball a fire rectangle, line, circle and so forth.
3.You can divide your aoe into as many cubes as you want instead of a 20x 20 fireball you have 2 10x10 fireballs. Overlapping them doesn't increase damage ad each uses the movement points of the spell separately. so a 10x10 fireball can only move 60ft as opposed to the 120 ft of the normal spell.

danpit2991
2018-04-19, 10:32 PM
Malleable blade:
The hilt is made of some foreign substance similar to liquid mercury yet glows an eerie phosphorescent light. The blade itself is formed of twinkling starlight slowly drifting as the heavens do across the sky. This blessed ceremonial sword of the moon goddess Yarae can only be when the stars align and the light shines upon a holy glade.
Effects:
1. Bright light 5ft, dim light 10ft
2. Can change form according to the will of the wielder
3. Deals an extra 1d6(cold damage) during the day and 2d6 during the night
4. During the full moon at night the caster can cast conjure natures allies.

Channeler:
D8 hp
For the channeler's spellcasting I'd recommend making your own 1d100 chart for effects similar to the wild sorcerer, yet make it thematic instead. Maybe add options in that chart that mimic metamagic or increase spell level at the cost of hp. I've been theorycrafting a metamagic that I think your class could use as a class ability. You could add spell points to power special class abilities.
Guided metamagic:2 pts
1.Converts range of your spells into movement points. This combo well with divination and attacking around cover.
2.you can shape aoe in cubes. So you can make a fire ball a fire rectangle, line, circle and so forth.
3.You can divide your aoe into as many cubes as you want instead of a 20x 20 fireball you have 2 10x10 fireballs. Overlapping them doesn't increase damage ad each uses the movement points of the spell separately. so a 10x10 fireball can only move 60ft as opposed to the 120 ft of the normal spell.

nice!! you very better with words than me lol