PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking at class builds for a 'Flashy Gladiator' type character.

GerikRhineland
2018-04-20, 12:01 AM
Greetings D&Ders! My group and I are getting ready to stream our D&D sessions (though it may be awhile till we're really ready), but I've been working on a character that I'm happy with RP wise, but somehow still making builds for hoping one pops in my brain. Now its an RP first, difficulty second kind of thing, though combat is definitely available almost every session. Anyway, looking for build ideas for a flashy fighter who aims to be a monster in one versus one melee and still dangerous in a military campaign setting. Not trying to cheap it with things like Sentinel (though I'm grabbing it for different reasons) and Pole Arm Master (which aesthetically I would not take).

A dip into Fighter is required as his family is famous for Dual Wielding, taking Two Weapon Fighting obviously. He is also a variant human, grabbing the Dual Wielder feat.

From there I am open to suggestions. I've looked into Revised Ranger up to level 7, giving both damage and evasiveness with a hopeful AC 19 with Plate Armor.

Though not a holy man, I've given thought to Paladin for the quick dps raise of the smites.

Also looked into Barbarian for that raw meat he provides through health and resistance (Totem of the Bear).

I know this is a blithering mess to look at and read, but I'm hoping to find some helpful ideas for a durable build that can still push damage.

And yes, I know Dual Wielding drops off and Two-Handed becomes better, but eh, gotta love what you love! (Last game I played a Maul wielding Barbarian, so I already got to smash face).

Naanomi
2018-04-20, 12:08 AM
My first thoughts in this would be a Swashbuckler Rogue or a College of Swords Bard, depending if I wanted a martial or magical character

Ventruenox
2018-04-20, 12:08 AM
Have you considered a College of Swords Bard with the Entertainer background's Gladiator variant?

strangebloke
2018-04-20, 12:13 AM
My first thoughts in this would be a Swashbuckler Rogue or a College of Swords Bard, depending if I wanted a martial or magical character

Was just going to say this. That one level of fighter will be perfectly welcome in the build, too.

Expertise in athletics makes for fun combat.

GerikRhineland
2018-04-20, 12:17 AM
Have you considered a College of Swords Bard with the Entertainer background's Gladiator variant?

Doing my best to stay away from Magic, I can potentially fit Paladin spells in, though the slots would mostly likely only be used for Smites. Though I never even thought about Bard, so good suggestion, even if it's not the fit I was looking for! (I would describe the character fully but it'd take awhile lol)

GerikRhineland
2018-04-20, 12:18 AM
Was just going to say this. That one level of fighter will be perfectly welcome in the build, too.

Expertise in athletics makes for fun combat.

Think so? I did consider up to 3 levels of Rogue to go swashbuckler for the small little damage on the first attack, but I was afraid if I went further I'd be squishier than I wanted.

Naanomi
2018-04-20, 12:20 AM
Think so? I did consider up to 3 levels of Rogue to go swashbuckler for the small little damage on the first attack, but I was afraid if I went further I'd be squishier than I wanted.
Rogues are tougher than you think... tend to only be 1 AC behind heavy armor users; and Uncanny Dodge is a massive boon to survivability

CTurbo
2018-04-20, 12:25 AM
I agree about Swords Bard. No reason you couldn't go Str focused. Expertise in Athletics and Performance. It works with a Longsword if you can get proficiency through race, feat, or multiclassing.

Of course you could just be a Battle Master Fighter with a decent Charisma.

Swashbuckler seems like a good fit, but when I think about a Gladiator, I think about Str builds not Dex builds.

Afrodactyl
2018-04-20, 10:00 AM
I agree about Swords Bard. No reason you couldn't go Str focused. Expertise in Athletics and Performance. It works with a Longsword if you can get proficiency through race, feat, or multiclassing.

Of course you could just be a Battle Master Fighter with a decent Charisma.

Swashbuckler seems like a good fit, but when I think about a Gladiator, I think about Str builds not Dex builds.

I second all of these suggestions. A level or two of fighter on a swords bard or swashbuckler rogue would fit the bill brilliantly, or just pumping a battlemasters charisma skills.

2D6GREATAXE
2018-04-20, 10:10 AM
I just made a crixcus / Gannicus type character for my friend. As he wanted to do a very Spartacus Blood and Sand style Gladiator.

Background Gladiator

Fighter 3 Sub Battle master.
Barbarian 2 For Unarmoured Defence and Reckless Attack

strangebloke
2018-04-20, 10:15 AM

Well, let's break it down. You've got one level of fighter so your AC is going to be fine. You're missing out on 1 HP/level every level you stay in rogue, which is not great, but it isn't horrible, either.

In return you get
1d6 damage reduction as a reaction
Ability to disengage for free whenever you attack
Evasion
an extra save
Ability to hide/dash/disengage as a bonus action

So I don't think your squishiness increases by going rogue. I think it makes you more defensive overall.

Out of combat you get skill powers that are just awesome. Athletics, performance, persuasion and intimidation would be my picks for expertise. All very thematic for a gladiator.

In combat, you get charisma-based fighting abilities which are perfect for your character, alongside sneak attack which is pretty thematic.

It is not the only way to do this character. You could also go battlemaster, barbarogue, straight swashbuckler, kensei, and do it well. I'm a big fan of expertise on this sort of character, so the prodigy feat is something worth considering.

DevilMcam
2018-04-20, 10:59 AM
I don't think you need neither two weapon fighting style nor dual wielder to be a cool two weapon fighter and I'll give you 2 examples

To me "flashy Gladiator" sounds like shirtless man fighting in an arena, so you may want to have "unarmored defence" features.

Rage makes barbarian decent dual wielders (more hits means more rage damage after all). And depending on your subclass you don't have anything better to do with bonus action anyway. You may still want dual wielder for bigger weapons (and extra AC never hurts).

OR

If your DM is Okay with that you could go monk.
Refluff unarmed strikes as offhand strikes (should be fine as long as you don't carry 2 magic weapons).
You can go Kensei to use that Waraxe, and if you DM is Okay you could refluff your Longsword as 2 shorter, and using the versatile property as striking with both at the same time and have your "unarmed strikes" be weapon strike as far as RP goes but use standard unarmed rules.
It would also enforce the fact that you are a Famous dual wielder because no one actually dual wield that way.
But your DM might also say "nope" so be sure to ask him first.

EDIT : kensei was already mentionned.

HolyAvenger7
2018-04-20, 11:00 AM
I have a Triton EK with a trident and a net. Weapons bond on the Trident makes for fun. Problems with net mechanics, but tag teaming is fun.

Platypusbill
2018-04-20, 03:59 PM
An idea I've had floating around for a while is a rogue who dual wields a rapier and whip. The idea being that you can make opportunity attacks at either 5 or 10 ft, which lets you control a pretty big section of the battlefield. If you also meet the criteria for Sneak Attack, you can also get a lot of damage with your opportunity attacks.

The whip would fit the flashy gladiator fluff pretty well, too.