PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a decent assassin concept?

Spacehamster
2018-04-20, 02:14 AM
Eldritch Knight 8(after 6 and two ASI’s pop over to assassin)/12 assassin, as any school of magic spells you take silent image as 1st level spell and invisibility as 2nd. With silent image I had the idea to place the illusion of nothing(as in make it look like just part of nature or whatever terrain you are in) over yourself and move the illusion with you this creating in a way a level 1 invisibility spell, dunno if this works by RAW? You could also use minor illusion to create sounds to distract enemies for easier stealth and such.

It sounds on paper quite cool and would probably go best with a high elf and decent INT for better saves on your illusions. Thoughts?

JackPhoenix
2018-04-20, 04:51 AM
You can't create an illusion of "nothing". Well, you can, but it's exactly that: nothing. You can't use illusions to "erase" existing things from existence (well, you can with Hallucinatory Terrain, but that's much higher level).

Asmotherion
2018-04-20, 05:13 AM
As spells go, the genergal concept is, you can't duplicate the effect of a spell with an other spell effectivelly rendering that spell useless (that said, specific beats generic sometimes, but still).

This is a twice enhanced concept in duplicating the effects of a higher level spell with a lower level spell.

What you might be able to go for is a movable illusion of a bush, tree, rock etc. Or "erase" your footsteps. That sort of thing. Perhaps Heavy Smoke Cloud too (like throwing a smoke bomb), though it goes into the agenda of the Fog Cloud spell.

Spacehamster
2018-04-20, 05:13 AM
You can't create an illusion of "nothing". Well, you can, but it's exactly that: nothing. You can't use illusions to "erase" existing things from existence (well, you can with Hallucinatory Terrain, but that's much higher level).

But is a small landscape part of the size limited by the spell that you put in front of you “nothing” tho?

JackPhoenix
2018-04-20, 05:20 AM
But is a small landscape part of the size limited by the spell that you put in front of you “nothing” tho?

Depends what do you mean. If you create illusionary rock and hide behind it, it's fine. You can't create an illusion of empty space where there is something, or hide behind "nothing".

Spacehamster
2018-04-20, 05:21 AM
Depends what do you mean. If you create illusionary rock and hide behind it, it's fine. You can't create an illusion of empty space where there is something, or hide behind "nothing".

Ah dang that sucks. :( and an illusionary moving bush is probably not a good idea lol although said bush moving about would probably scare simpler humanoids. xD

Asmotherion
2018-04-20, 05:23 AM

If that's in the concept of Camouflage, it starts an age old debate in the forum around if Minor Illusion can effectivelly make you invisible or not.

I don't want to start the Illusion Wars again XD

Overall I think your Character Concept is a cool concept, and you just need to check with your DM about the Details of what he can and can't do, and how exactly he'll be using his abilities, depending on his setting.

Spacehamster
2018-04-20, 05:25 AM
If that's in the concept of Camouflage, it starts an age old debate in the forum around if Minor Illusion can effectivelly make you invisible or not.

I don't want to start the Illusion Wars again XD

Overall I think your Character Concept is a cool concept, and you just need to check with your DM about the Details of what he can and can't do, and how exactly he'll be using his abilities, depending on his setting.

Mostly just a build that popped into my mind and I do enjoy sharing and hearing thoughts about builds(probably cus I have not got to actually play in ages). :)

Asmotherion
2018-04-20, 05:36 AM
Well, you'd be surprised how effective a moving bush/rock can be if it's not spotted moving.

An other awesome spell for this concept is disguise self. Disguising as an ally can confuse, even in the peak of battle, and ensure a Sneak Attack. Alter Self can make it even harder to spot you, since you'll be shifting forms. Combine the two tactically, as well as hiding, and hiding the person you emulate (regular smoke bombs/have your mage use fog cloud/darkness) and you will be the perfect assasin.

Consensus
2018-04-20, 07:16 AM
Plus disguise self would also be a spell that an actual assassin would be more likely to use imo. Its better to sneak into a place as someone else than to risk being seen at every turn