View Full Version : Healbot 3.5

LordDeath666
2018-04-20, 02:16 AM
Can you help me build a heal bot. My world has a mercenary guild for hire and they voted to have a heal bot.

Ashtagon
2018-04-20, 02:18 AM
Warforged cleric with healing domain.

NerdHut
2018-04-20, 02:21 AM
Unless you're looking to do a restructure of the Healer class, you'll want to make it a Cleric. The Healing Domain helps, but isn't strictly necessary.

This thread may be of significant use to you:
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1238

Khedrac
2018-04-20, 02:25 AM
This depends on what you want the healbot to do.

If you just want an NPC healer tagging along who won't do much of anything else then I would suggest straight Healer (Miniatures Handbook class) - though I would suggest expanding the spell list slightly with things like the vigor line of spells.
For more general use a Cleric is hard to beat, especially if you look at some of the prestige class options.

There are other healer build options which can be fun, but it depends on what you want the healbot to do and how much effort will go into playing them.

The group I currently DM for has a healer NPC (which has been useful and we have had a player from some other campaigns forget which week is which two months in a row and turn up for the game he's not in - he got to run the healer) who is a hippy elf; probably the only known healer whose unicorn companion won't allow her to ride him (she wears tie-dyed clothing that she made but she doesn't know how to dye things so didn't bother with a fixative...). She's quite fun to rp occasionally and pretty easy to play so long as you calcualte all the spell healing amounts in advance - I find her a good NPC (or cohort) as I think she would be pretty boring to play regularly but useful to have around.

Rebel7284
2018-04-20, 02:31 AM
Clerics do healing fine, along with anything else they want, but note that in D&D 3.5, in-combat healing is typically a bad tactic. Healing lags behind most monster attacks numerically with the Heal spell being the notable exception. Most of the time, it's better to focus on taking your enemies out faster or stopping them from dealing damage in the first place. Buff spells, debuff spells, and battlefield control spells are all considered more effective uses of spell slots than healing.

For healing up between battles, a wand of lesser vigor has the best value.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-20, 02:39 AM
Didn't we have this same thread a couple weeks ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?555516-What-s-a-good-build-for-a-heal-bot)?

Shpadoinkle
2018-04-20, 03:30 AM
Saved this from the old WotC forums, a thread called "Your own first-level Jesus."

Originally posted by syrazemyla

I was trying to figure out what the best 1st-level healer for a hospital is, and I came up with this. Basically, he can heal people and treat diseases almost impossibly well, especially for a 1st-level character. He also is not terrible at combat.

Jesus Salazar
LG Azurin gold dragon shaman 1

Abilities (25 point buy):
Str 8 (-1)
Dex 13 (+1)
Con 16 (+3)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 14 (+2)
Cha 12 (+1)

Skills:
Heal (Wis): 4 ranks + 2 Wis + 3 Skill Focus + 4 insight + 2 masterwork tool = +15

Feats:
1st: Shape Soulmeld (lifebond vestments)
Bonus: Shape Soulmeld (pauldrons of health)
Flaw (Inattentive): Skill Focus (Heal)
Flaw (Shaky): Shape Soulmeld (hunter's circlet)

Tactics:
In combat, hit things with a morningstar, or light them on fire with your breath weapon (DC 13). Not that complicated at 1st level.

In the hospital is where he shines. To treat injuries, he walks around with a vigor aura, healing people up to half their maximum hit points. He then invests his essentia into his lifebond vestments and heals them for 6 points of damage (1 ML + 5 from the essentia), taking 3 points of damage as he does that. He then waits three rounds to heal up the damage he took (while healing, he will likely stay at half his maximum HP, or 6 HP), and goes to the next patient. Since he can use lifebond vestments once per hour on each person, an 8-hour shift allows him to heal every person under his care to half their max HP, plus an additional 48. Not bad for a first-level character.

He is also just as good at taking care of victims of disease. His pauldrons of health grant him immunity to the diseases he's treating, so he doesn't have to shy away. While treating disease, he shifts his essentia to his hunter's circlet, granting a +4 insight bonus on Heal checks. With that, his Skill Focus, and a set of masterwork tools for Heal, he can take 10 and treat them as if they had made a DC 25 Fortitude save. This will treat every non-magical disease in the PHB, maintain someone who has mummy rot, and treat every disease in the Book of Vile Darkness, including deathsong.

I had thought about using a warforged, so as to not need the pauldrons of health, but he would lose the azurin bonus feat that it was in, and he would need a feat to grant him a point of essentia, thus losing the Skill Focus. He would also lose a point of wisdom (you could switch his 16 Con with his 14 Wis, thus keeping them the same after modifiers), and this would overall reduce his Heal bonus to +12. Still, this would allow him to cure everything but deathsong, and he could keep going for 24 hours, thus healing 144 HP on top of the half HP that vigor raises someone to.

So, questions? Comments? Can anyone do better?

Later this was posted:

Originally posted by Meth0dical
A small-size level 1 crusader with the Martial Spirit stance and low strength (call him Judas) could follow Jesus around, punching him for 1d2 minus whatever (aka 1) nonlethal damage to switch his healing from patient to patient and then hitting a wall (or block of wood, or the floor) to heal them 2 points per round repeatedly until they are at full HP. Or I guess he could just punch himself and redirect healing to himself every once in a while. Or he could hit the patient, it's not like 1 nonlethal damage will kill anyone.

edit: if you can find a melee attack that actually does 0 damage he can just use that and it's even better - no one gets to complain about getting hurt

edathompson2
2018-04-20, 03:23 PM
combat medic prestige class

Goaty14
2018-04-20, 08:47 PM
combat medic prestige class

...Is pretty bad. The main schtick of the prestige class is to revive creatures up from dying and apply small bonuses to them, and if your PCs are constantly within negative HP, you should probably reconsider everything.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-20, 09:09 PM
...Is pretty bad. The main schtick of the prestige class is to revive creatures up from dying and apply small bonuses to them, and if your PCs are constantly within negative HP, you should probably reconsider everything.

It's not so bad. There's no good reason to wait until your allies are downed to cast the healing spells off of which the class' rider effects keyed and they're really not bad effects. The entry cost is pretty trivial. It's full progression and short. The best healers -want- rider effects for their healing spells.

I wouldn't make it central to the build but I wouldn't scoff at it for filler either.

gorfnab
2018-04-21, 01:56 AM
Taken from this thread: Obscure Paladin Healer Thread Strategy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?556318-Obscure-Paladin-Healer-Thread-Strategy)

Well, lets see what I can do if I hammer all this together.

Lesser Aasimar Paladin 20 (Yeah yeah, Gray Guard... not interested... yet)
32 PB: 14 Str, 8 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 10 (+2 = 12) Wis, 18 (+2 = 20) Cha
Flaws: Shaky, Inattentive
Feats:
1) Power Attack, Hands of a Healer, Nimbus of Light
3) True Believer
6) Battle Blessing
9) Sacred Healing
12) Stigmata
15) Divine Might
18) Extra Turning

*St. Cuthbert has good relics, and this will let me use them.

Healing Methods:
Lay On Hands-
Charisma 42 (+16) (20 base + 5 level + 5 inherent + 6 enhancement + 2 Hands of a Healer + 4 Unicorn Pendant)
16 * 20 = 320 HP of healing, or...
320 / 5 = 64 points of ability damage recovery, typically used for Stigmata.

Spirit of Healing-
Primary means of in-combat healing if seriously needed. Heals 640 HP.

Stigmata-
Constitution 25 (14 base + 6 enhancement + 5 inherent)
Assume 4 other party members. Constitution can be burned 8 points at a time to heal each of them for 4 HP per level. If they're at 20th level, thats 320 HP per use. This can be done up to 3 times per hour and 8 times per day, for up to 960 HP of healing each hour and 2560 HP of healing each day.

Sacred Healing-
Charisma 36 (+13)
24 uses of Turn Undead each day
Each use lasts 14 rounds for each of the 5 party members, healing 3 HP per round. Thats 210 HP healed per use. With 24 uses per day, thats 5040 HP healed per day. If you manage to also apply that one item from MIC to the Unicorn Pendant thats an extra 420, but thats likely not worth as much as the hassling with the DM over it would cost you.

Spirit of the Fallen-
Lasts 20 rounds and gives each party member Fast Healing 10, for 1000 HP healed over the duration. Can also give more healing if any fall below 0 HP while it's summoned.

In total, thats 9240 HP healed per day without a single spell being cast, and furthermore the spells are available to counteract every condition that allows a saving throw and a wide variety of others that do not. Also, as the party grows larger in size the amount of healing dispensed likewise gets stupidly high.

(Assuming a party of 9 characters, your Stigmata (16 Con Burn) heals 1280 HP and can be done 4 times a day for "free," healing a total of 5120 HP. Then Sacred Healing heals 378 HP per use and 9072 HP per day. Then Spirit of the Fallen goes up to 1800, for a total of 15992 HP of healing per day.)