PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How can I optimize my unoptimized warlock?

Lorsa
2018-04-20, 07:31 AM
I know this forum loves the optimization questions.

So, I have one for you, and we'll see how much of the advice I take.

The premise is this. I have a warlock which is not strictly optimized and I am wondering how to make it as good as possible within the general concept (so don't attack me for choices already made, I like them for reasons of "feeling").

The campaign is basically a solo campaign, so only me and the DM. There might be NPC companions in the future, but I can't depend on them.

So, I have chosen to play a Dex-based (female) Wood Elf warlock with Pact of the Blade. I wanted to be a dual wielder and managed to convince my DM to allow me to summon two weapons with PotB. So basically, it is a dex-based dual wielding bladelock.

The attributes, after racial modifiers, are as follows (if anyone cares): 12,20,15,14,14,17. They were based on a rather generous rolling system, but is quite nice for a solo campaign.

The campaign started at lvl 2, and since I chose the Invocation that grants me constant Mage Armor, I have AC 18 which felt quite solid for a solo campaign. The other invocation I chose is the one that makes my Eldritch Blast cause a knockback effect, as I figured that would be good for escape in tricky situations (again, solo). For spells I have Armor of Agathys, Expeditions Retreat and Unseen Servant (which felt good to have to explain how I become comfortable alone in the woods).

So, based on this premise, what would be possible feats (or ASI's) to look for? Pushing Cha to 18 and Con to 16 seems quite useful to me. Are there any multiclass options that could improve me while still keeping the dual-wielding concept?

For some reason, I would really like to have skill proficiencies in Stealth, Acrobats and Atheltics (in that order), but I know that the extra proficiency feat is quite low ranked. In any case, if it can fitted in somehow that would be great.

Anyway, don't blame me for the choices made, but feel free to come up with suggestions for how to improve on the general concept of a dex-based dual-wielding bladelock.

nickl_2000
2018-04-20, 07:37 AM
The first problem that I see (which may not be a problem since many DMs handwave it) is that you are dual wielding weapons as a caster. Technically you can't use somatic components without a free hand. So, if you plan on casting spells, you need warcaster by the rules. That being said, if the DM doesn't care, then don't waste a feat on that.

What Patron are you playing? Or do you want advice on that as well?

nickl_2000
2018-04-20, 07:58 AM
Some suggestions that could possibly work for you.

Use the Booming Blade cantrip with a whip and spell sniper feat. Your damage will be a little bit less, but your enemy will need to trigger the extra booming blade damage to get to you.
The Darkness spell and Devil's sight will certainly be your friend here. You are soloing, so you have no fear of hurting your allies with the darkness at all.
AoE spells are also a lot easier solo because you don't need to worry about hitting your friends.
Possible feats
Mobile - Helps you escape
Defensive Duelist - gives you something to do with your reaction all the time
Alert - Get to go first in combat and not be surprised
Dual Wielder - Not ideal really, but it does give you +1 AC and would let you dual wield whips.

Ergonus
2018-04-20, 08:06 AM
If you want to boost your Con and Cha Maybe grab the Resilient Con Feat for +1 Con and proficiency in the Constitution saving throw to help with keeping concentration on your spells.

Then I would grab Elven Accuracy from XGtE to give your self +1 Cha and gain triple advantage on all your rolls once you have a source of Advantage. Shadow of Moil works wonders here, giving you Advantage to Hit, enemies Disadvantage to hit you, and when they do it hits them with damage. Combine this with Armor of Agathys or Mirror Image and you can take a lot of punishment before actually taking real damage and be dishing out respectable damage back w/o rolling.

If you are solo, the Darkness + Devil's Sight Combo would be ideal for you as well, at least until you get Shadow of Moil.

I would consider Multiclassing into Swords Bard, or Fighter for the Two weapon fighting Style, and maybe even picking up the Dual Wielder Feat to enhance your combat style.

I would definitely consider picking up Hex, its the Warlocks bread and butter spell and adds +1d6 necrotic damage and Disadvantage to all ability SKILL checks of your choice, (eg Str if your trying to shove and grapple, Cha if you are trying to see if they are lying to you, Wis if you are trying to lie to them ect.)

What is your Patron? That will influence a lot of what you can do as well.

Vogie
2018-04-20, 11:53 AM
You'll definitely want to pick up Improved pact Weapon so you can use your weapons as arcane foci

You could do a 1 level dip into fighter for the Two-Weapon Fighting style and self-heal for 1d10+1 as a bonus action.

You already have 20 Dex, so you're not going to be shoehorned into Hexblade. I'd suggest Raven queen patron - the sentinel raven faux-miliar will generate advantage for you, either alive or dead, which is wonderful with Elvish Accuracy and the patron offers a ton of utility. Even the bonus spells will assist with being solo - False life for a ton of THP with a spell slot, or Spiritual Weapons to give you the ability to deal damage as a bonus action.

There's also the Raven Queen’s Blessing invocation that allows you to heal on the occasional EB crits, which isn't that useful, but you may be able to have ask for that invocation be Homebrewed to hits with your pact weapon...

Lorsa
2018-04-20, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the input!

For information, my patron is an Archfey.

EDIT: I was not aware of where this Raven Queen thing can be found.

Vogie
2018-04-20, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the input!

For information, my patron is an Archfey.

EDIT: I was not aware of where this Raven Queen thing can be found.

It was an Unearthed Arcana, posted 2/13/17

Lorsa
2018-04-21, 07:22 AM
Another question then.

Is Xanahar's guide to everything full of options that are clearly superior to the ones in PHB, or are they of equal tier sort of?

xen
2018-04-22, 08:50 AM
Another question then.

Is Xanahar's guide to everything full of options that are clearly superior to the ones in PHB, or are they of equal tier sort of?

Most are about equal but there's a few strong options. Hexblade warlock for instance is considered strong and has become a go to dip for Cha based fightery types. Don't think it would work for you though as you've already pumped dex and you need high Cha for it.

Couple of options for multiclassing you may find interesting, like swords bard and maybe horizon walker ranger. Both would give you the 2 weapon fighting style and access to different types of spells. Both would also punch up your melee abilities.

Horizon Walker would work with or without the revised ranger UA (much stronger with the UA but in a solo game that should be fine) and give you a d8 extra on 1 attack plus the ability to convert to force damage. Downside is it takes your bonus action you may want for hexing.

Bard has the obvious Cha synergy and Swords adds some combat options. Pump Cha if you go that route.

Of course both would need a 3 level min investment. Or just one level of fighter gives you your fighting style which would really help.

With your stats though you could consider any multiclass. 2 levels of War Magic Wizard in Xanathars would give you some surviveability with +2AC or +4 to saves on a reaction and a ton of utility with low level spells. The downside wouldn't matter to you since you could just get all stabby the next turn.

Asmotherion
2018-04-22, 09:37 AM
I know this forum loves the optimization questions.

So, I have one for you, and we'll see how much of the advice I take.

The premise is this. I have a warlock which is not strictly optimized and I am wondering how to make it as good as possible within the general concept (so don't attack me for choices already made, I like them for reasons of "feeling").

The campaign is basically a solo campaign, so only me and the DM. There might be NPC companions in the future, but I can't depend on them.

So, I have chosen to play a Dex-based (female) Wood Elf warlock with Pact of the Blade. I wanted to be a dual wielder and managed to convince my DM to allow me to summon two weapons with PotB. So basically, it is a dex-based dual wielding bladelock.

The attributes, after racial modifiers, are as follows (if anyone cares): 12,20,15,14,14,17. They were based on a rather generous rolling system, but is quite nice for a solo campaign.

The campaign started at lvl 2, and since I chose the Invocation that grants me constant Mage Armor, I have AC 18 which felt quite solid for a solo campaign. The other invocation I chose is the one that makes my Eldritch Blast cause a knockback effect, as I figured that would be good for escape in tricky situations (again, solo). For spells I have Armor of Agathys, Expeditions Retreat and Unseen Servant (which felt good to have to explain how I become comfortable alone in the woods).

So, based on this premise, what would be possible feats (or ASI's) to look for? Pushing Cha to 18 and Con to 16 seems quite useful to me. Are there any multiclass options that could improve me while still keeping the dual-wielding concept?

For some reason, I would really like to have skill proficiencies in Stealth, Acrobats and Atheltics (in that order), but I know that the extra proficiency feat is quite low ranked. In any case, if it can fitted in somehow that would be great.

Anyway, don't blame me for the choices made, but feel free to come up with suggestions for how to improve on the general concept of a dex-based dual-wielding bladelock.

*Agonising Blast
*Hex
*18 Charisma Minimum. With 17, you miss out a lot.
*Booming Blade for Melee
*If you really want Mage Armor, better grab it with a Feat (Magic Initiate). It has a duration of 8 hours, and no concentration. Otherwise you're better in regular Light armor, with a 1 AC trade off. You also get 2 cantrips in the Deal (Booming Blade, and one other sweet choice, like Prestidigitation or Minor Illusion Perhaps? Or Mending, in case your Gear gets broken often, depending on how ofter your DM uses that trope). With 20 Dex you'll be having a great AC.
*If you want a Further Boost in AC, get a 1 level dip for proficiency in Shields. In any case, Drop the Mage Armor Invocation, it's not worth it. Or not, this is optional.
*Think if you want to be monoclass or not. It's viable, but (Blasting) power comes a lot quicker, easyer and, let me not lie about it, in a lot more quantity, if you go Sorlock. On the other hand, melee prowess comes from Palock (or a combination of the 3 really). That said, pure Warlock is totally Worth it, and viable. Just think how much you want to invest in optimisation/power.
*Armor of Agathys is a good choice. I never go adventuring without it. Bonus Temporary HP that Hurt anyone who engages in melee with me, and gets to hit my not-abyssmal AC? Great Tread off, making being hit a win-win situation for you. Keeps being relevant for the whole game.
*Finally, a Great Spell for a Dexlock is Shadow Blade, avalable through Xanathar's. Don't miss out on it. It's probably the best example why Dexlock is an optimisable option. Combine it with Booming Blade, and you'll be getting a weapon of mass destruction (practically, Smite on demand for your encounter lenghth).

This is my simple Warlock build. It's certainly not the only one, but it's some things you can look for right now, and in the next few levels to get to it. And works.

Another question then.

Xanathar's could have the title of "Complete Gish" in a past eddition.

It's mostly focused on options about Gish Builds, and other Mages that engage more activelly in Combat.

It does have other things as well, but it has the tendency of giving everyone a Swordmage feel or otherwise Gestalt Feel.

The Hexblade is a Martial and a Warlock.
The Divine Soul is a Sorcerer, and can be played as a Cleric or even a Necromancer and be great at his job.
The Zealot is a Barbarian, but also a bit of a Paladin.
The Arcane Archer is a Fighter with a Ranger twist.

Most of the Spells Conjure Swords, Armors or Epic Mounts to fight in diferent shapes. Or transform you from a potentially Frail Old man to the Epitome of Knighthood.

Overall, I love it. It's not that it's superior, I'd say it's fairly balanced, since "if you take this, you loose the other", and some of the PHB options are great. Personally, I think it's the best thing that happened after 5e, and a worthy continuation of what I was expecting.

CTurbo
2018-04-22, 01:02 PM
I don't see any bad choices made so far. I would definitely +1 Con and Cha with your level 4 ASI to round those out. Wanting to dual wield as a Bladelock is a little odd but is manageable. You're definitely going to want the TWF style though if you're committed to duel wielding. The easiest way to pick it up is Fighter 1, but Sword Bard 3 would be the most beneficial to you since you'd really be upping your utility and options.

For a solo campaign, you're going to want Alert for sure. I would want the Find Familiar spell too as a familiar is hugely helpful to have in a solo campaign. Ritual Caster could get you both Find Familiar and Alarm, another great solo campaign spell. You'd also be able to cast Unseen Servant without using one of your precious spell slots. Also gives you access to Leomund's Tiny Hut which is amazing for a solo.

Lorsa
2018-04-23, 01:46 AM
I don't see any bad choices made so far. I would definitely +1 Con and Cha with your level 4 ASI to round those out. Wanting to dual wield as a Bladelock is a little odd but is manageable. You're definitely going to want the TWF style though if you're committed to duel wielding. The easiest way to pick it up is Fighter 1, but Sword Bard 3 would be the most beneficial to you since you'd really be upping your utility and options.

For a solo campaign, you're going to want Alert for sure. I would want the Find Familiar spell too as a familiar is hugely helpful to have in a solo campaign. Ritual Caster could get you both Find Familiar and Alarm, another great solo campaign spell. You'd also be able to cast Unseen Servant without using one of your precious spell slots. Also gives you access to Leomund's Tiny Hut which is amazing for a solo.

Thanks! Those are helpful advice.