PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Slime Wizard

Consensus
2018-04-20, 10:33 AM
This is my first time doing any semi-serious homebrewing, so don't kill me for obvious balance mistakes please. I'd like constructive criticism on balance or other fitting powers of a goblinoid slime themed battle-mage!
Some things I feel especially unsure about is granting armor proficiency, and the 14th level feature.

Mucusmancer (Wizard Arcane Tradition)
Restriction: Goblins, Bugbears, and Hobgoblins only. The mucusmancy tradition is only taught to goblinoids.
Slime Magic:
At second level, all spells which cause fire damage now do acid or bludgeoning damage instead, because instead of conjuring the element of fire, you conjure an exploding mass of corrosive, or dense slime.

The spell Find Familiar now has the following options: Mobile Slime and Riding Ooze.

The spell Unseen Servant also takes on a corporeal form, that of a slime. It can do all the tasks outlined in the spell. It uses the statistics of the Riding Slime without the Mount or Split abilities.
Slime Crafter
You also learn how to make a slime without casting spells. If you spend a week and 150 gp for the proper ingredients, you can make a Gray Ooze. This Gray Ooze is loyal to you unto death, but only understands simple commands.
Radushkan Battle-Mage:
At second level, you gain proficiency in Medium Armor and Shields, as well as the knowledge of how to make Cethalt. Celthalt is a secret goblinoid metal which can resist all corrosion. You can make it with access to any forge and a component pouch. Items made of Cethal cannot be corroded, and are immune to acid damage. One wearing Cethal armor is resistant to acid damage.

Summon Ooze Army:
At 6th level, you gain access to a variant of the Conjure Animals spell, called Conjure Oozes. Replace all text referencing Beasts in the spell to reference Oozes. Replace all text referencing Fey with Aberration or Aberrations. Each Ooze also has an additional 10ft. Movement. Find Familiar also does not require material components.

Improved Ooze Army:
At 10th level, any Oozes you summon with a spell use your spell casting modifier for any attack rolls they make, instead of their Strength. In addition, you gain a new option for the spell Find Familiar, Slithering Tracker.

Slime Lord:
At 14th level, any spell you cast that creates difficult terrain does intelligence mod acid damage to any creatures you chose when they move 5ft through the difficult terrain.
In addition, your Slime Crafter ability can make any Ooze, for 50 gp.
You also learn a variant of the spell Destructive Wave, called Slime Wave. Instead of doing thunder and radiant or necrotic damage, it does acid and bludgeoning respectively. This spell appears as a wave of slime originating from you.

Link to Mobile Slime and Riding Slime:
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJWyxuOv3f

Hykeru
2018-04-20, 06:27 PM
I like this idea a lot. It seems like it could be a lot of fun, especially if you chase after that 'grossout' theme. You might consider adding a bit of flavor text in front of each of the abilities to really sell the grossness. So your initial idea is strong. That said, there are definitely a lot of things I would change.

I'd seriously recommend removing the goblinoid restriction from the class, although not discarding the idea entirely. As it is, a lot of players will ignore it entirely if they simply don't want to play a goblinoid, or worse, stop reading the class as soon as they see the restriction. I see where you're coming from on it though, and it totally seems like a type of magic that goblinoids would invent and keep secret. Because of this, I suggest taking a page from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, specifically the page describing the Bladesinging option for Wizards. The archetype has a restriction meaning that only elves and half-elves can use it, BUT this restriction is mentioned not in the rules section, but in the flavor section, and in a nearby green note box. The box also makes it very clear that the DM can override this restriction if they or a player so desire. Clarifications like these always make users more respectful and responsive to your design goals.

I'm also pretty wary of the first ability you gain at 2nd level. To me, it really looks like more of a restriction than a positive trait. At second level, I suddenly lose access to one of the most common damage types? That's no fun. And what do I gain from it? More acid spells? There's not really a shortage of those already. If you want people to focus on using primarily acid damage, I would suggest giving them bonuses for using spells that already do it. Also, the feature is pretty confusingly worded; there are a lot of awkward situations it creates but does not resolve. Who decides what type (bludgeoning or acid) a spell causes? What about spells that do multiple types of damage? For example the spell Prismatic Spray does fire damage as well as all of the other types. As worded, your ability could be interpreted to replace all of the types of damage with either acid or bludgeoning, which kind of ruins the point of the spell. It may seem nitpicky, but by being vague, you make it much more difficult for players to use the material in their game, as every time a question comes up, they have to stop play and debate it.

You seem pretty dead set on removing a lot of the restrictions on the Find Familiar spell, including removing the cost of the spell. I would strongly advise against this, as the Find Familiar spell fills some pretty important functions for users. Firstly, it allows somewhat squishy players to scout around and learn information. Secondly, it acts as a gold sink for players. Gold sinks are super important, because if players have too much gold, it can make the game too easy, and can trivialize the feeling of gaining other treasure. Serious thought should be given before removing a gold sink from the game. As for the summon options you introduce:

The Mobile Slime - This seems like a pretty ordinary slime, other than some very strange traits. Firstly, why does the slime have a swimming and flying speed? Without a creature description or even a picture, it's really hard to believe that a slime should be able to fly, especially at a speed of 50ft. This is not an ability that any other slime has. Why this one? Also, what's with its skills? Stealth +6? Perception +1? Why? Also, the damage resistances and immunities you've given it are all over the place. Finally, the Slimy Tenacity ability is a baffling trait. First off, things relating to potential Find Familiar monsters are always found in green note boxes on the entry page, not in the stat block. Secondly, the moment a familiar drops to 0 hit points, it disappears back to another dimension. Are you saying that the ability changes this? Or that the caster can see through the ooze once it's disappeared? If the former, how does the cube behave at 0 hit points? Does it stay like that? For how long? Again, it needs clarity.

The Riding Slime - Really quickly on this one, right away it's a pretty powerful creature to be able to summon at 2nd level. I do this the ability to ride around inside a slime is hilarious, so good job there. I think you made a mistake calculating the creature's passive perception. Looks like it should be 9. Finally, the Mounting trait providing full cover to the user, while giving them full line of sight to enemies, while allowing them to cast non-damaging spells (such as Hold Person, on which they can maintain concentration without any fear of damage) is way too exploitable. I would consider removing the full cover part, or possibly giving it the Damage Transfer trait of the Smothering Rug.

Both options need a lot of clarification. In addition, a small description of the monsters, like in the Monster Manual, would really help justify some of the abilities you've chosen to give them. Also, neither of the slimes have any Actions, which is super weird.

Next, maybe just cut the part about the Unseen Servant altogether. You're essentially turning it into a temporary Find Familiar spell. Let each spell fulfill its own role. Unseen Servant's role is to remain unseen.

Slime Crafter is fine, but you should set a limit on how many slimes a player can control at once. I know you have time and money restrictions, but it never hurts to be careful, or someone will find a way to break your class, and ruin the game for the other players and the DM.

You're right about the armor. It doesn't fit very well. This is a wizard class. You haven't given the player any abilities that incentivize getting closer to enemies, so why would they need the armor? If you want them to have resistance to acid, just give them resistance to acid. Adding too many weird crafting options to the game just bogs things down for the players and the DM.

Summon Ooze Army is mechanically fine. Just worded a bit oddly. Try not to reference the exact text or rename spells. Instead, say something like "You learn the Conjure Animals spell, if you do not know it already. The creatures summoned by the spell must be oozes instead of beasts, and they are not treated as fey creatures." Also, why do the slimes get more movement? And again, I strongly advise against removing the material cost of Find Familiar.

Improved Ooze Army is fine as is.

Slime Lord is pretty lackluster. It's a lot of text for not many effects. The terrain damage is too situational. The reduction in slime creation cost means that it's even more important to have a limit of the number of slimes that the player can control, and at 10th level, 150 G means a lot less to players. Finally, I'm not going to lie, the Destructive Wave feels a bit tacked on and not hugely creative. The other 14th level wizard features make huge changes to the abilities you already specialize in. This just seems kind of unfocused. I would throw this out and design a new, flashier ability. Try and keep it as one ability as well.

In summary, the initial premise of your idea is really cool, but I have to admit that while I read, I began to lose sight of its flavor. I no longer really see why goblinoids would've come up with this type of spellcasting when they so rarely work with oozes in the game. I was really expecting more of a focus on acid, necrotic, and more macabre themes, but it seems you immediately shift focus to center entirely around oozes. I'll also say that this really feels less like a Wizard archetype, and more like a Warlock Patron. I feel this because you seem to be focusing a lot on familiars, changing spells, and kinship with oozes. It's of course your decision, but just some food for thought. Anyway, that's about all I had to say. I hope that you'll find it helpful, and that you'll continue to improve your creation. Best of luck! Keep at it!

Consensus
2018-04-21, 09:45 PM
First, thank you a lot for giving this thorough of a response!

I like this idea a lot. It seems like it could be a lot of fun, especially if you chase after that 'grossout' theme. You might consider adding a bit of flavor text in front of each of the abilities to really sell the grossness... I think I add some flavor text in the next go-around, I just wanted to get the ideas down, I already have written some flavor, since this is part of a setting I'm working on with a friend.

I'd seriously recommend removing the goblinoid restriction from the class, although not discarding the idea entirely... Clarifications like these always make users more respectful and responsive to your design goals. I'm inclined to agree, I'm not married to a mechanical restriction

I'm also pretty wary of the first ability you gain at 2nd level. To me, it really looks like more of a restriction than a positive trait. At second level, I suddenly lose access to one of the most common damage types? That's no fun. And what do I gain from it? More acid spells? There's not really a shortage of those already... Really? The only leveled wizard spell I can find that does acid damage (not counting chromatic orb ect.) is Melf's Acid arrow... Mainly I did that in an effort to not homebrew more acid spells, since fire has the most spells by far I figured I'd just replace the damage type for those spells. I really picture acid being the primary damage type for a character with this archetype. I suppose I could go through 1-on-1 and select spells that the player is able to change the damage type to acid for. For encouraging acid damage spells, do suggest doing the dragonic sorc thing of spell casting mod to damage?

You seem pretty dead set on removing a lot of the restrictions on the Find Familiar spell... Serious thought should be given before removing a gold sink from the game. I have to say, I at 6th level I feel like 10gp is more of neusance than an important cost, but I'm open to being convinced.

The Mobile Slime... Firstly, why does the slime have a swimming and flying speed? Without a creature description or even a picture, it's really hard to believe that a slime should be able to fly, especially at a speed of 50ft. This is not an ability that any other slime has. Why this one? Also, what's with its skills? Stealth +6? Perception +1? Why? Also, the damage resistances and immunities you've given it are all over the place. I understand now that my lack of writing descriptions of how I envisioned things has caused some confusion. I essentially just envisioned it as an amorphous blob of slime that can hover around, and was just generally made to be very mobile. I wanted to make a special familiar for the subclass that would get used in place of the standard owl, so I wanted to fill the niche of 'flying scout'. That's also my reasoning on the skills. I can admit the resistances and immunites are pretty arbitrary. They're a mix of what most oozes have as well as some I felt it should have. I'll clean them up.

Finally, the Slimy Tenacity ability is a baffling trait. First off, things relating to potential Find Familiar monsters are always found in green note boxes on the entry page, not in the stat block. Secondly, the moment a familiar drops to 0 hit points, it disappears back to another dimension. Three things about this trait: I included it because I felt like it gives a bit more help to it being a stealthy familiar, and these statblocks are made entirely for being Find Familar summoned, I had no plans to use it otherwise (this is also why I neglected to give them actions. Finally I completely forgot familiars disappeared on death, I'll be rewriting (or removing) this familiar option.

The Riding Slime - Really quickly on this one, right away it's a pretty powerful creature to be able to summon at 2nd level. I do this the ability to ride around inside a slime is hilarious, so good job there. I think you made a mistake calculating the creature's passive perception. Looks like it should be 9. Finally, the Mounting trait providing full cover to the user, while giving them full line of sight to enemies, while allowing them to cast non-damaging spells (such as Hold Person, on which they can maintain concentration without any fear of damage) is way too exploitable. I would consider removing the full cover part, or possibly giving it the Damage Transfer trait of the Smothering Rug. I did make a mistake on passive perception, that part was just copied from the mobile slime. Thanks for the heads up about the exploitability, due to my lack of experience with this I don't have a very good eye for that. I will be using the damage transfer trait. I am now considering getting rid of the augmented find familiar and wrapping up this slime with the slime crafter ability.

Next, maybe just cut the part about the Unseen Servant altogether. You're essentially turning it into a temporary Find Familiar spell. Let each spell fulfill its own role. Unseen Servant's role is to remain unseen. Good point

Slime Crafter is fine, but you should set a limit on how many slimes a player can control at once.
I've had a similar thought. I just couldn't think of a logical reason why. Now that I put my mind to it, it would make sense if you kept the slimes loyal and classified through magic, and you only have the capacity to hold so many slimes. That's something that might be able to scale too, I think?

You're right about the armor. It doesn't fit very well. Yeah, one of the reasons I had it was I felt there weren't enough features to make the mucusmancer feel too much different form other wizards. I might still give them the ability to craft the metal itself though, as thats part of the world's lore. The other reason I gave them armor was because their role in the world is as battle wizards, but its my fault for not including lore with this.

Summon Ooze Army is mechanically fine. Just worded a bit oddly. Try not to reference the exact text or rename spells. Instead, say something like "You learn the Conjure Animals spell, if you do not know it already. The creatures summoned by the spell must be oozes instead of beasts, and they are not treated as fey creatures." Also, why do the slimes get more movement? Thanks for the wording advice. I'm glad this ability works okay, as it and riding slime were some of my favorites. I gave the slimes more movement because this ability gives you conjure animals 1 level after others would have it, and slimes are usually slow, so I thought it would make sense if they could be a little faster. I can see how this is clunky, so I'm not sure about including it or not. Do you think its too strong?

Improved Ooze Army is fine as is.
:smallsmile:

Slime Lord is pretty lackluster. It's a lot of text for not many effects. The terrain damage is too situational. The reduction in slime creation cost means that it's even more important to have a limit of the number of slimes that the player can control, and at 10th level, 150 G means a lot less to players. Finally, I'm not going to lie, the Destructive Wave feels a bit tacked on and not hugely creative. The other 14th level wizard features make huge changes to the abilities you already specialize in. This just seems kind of unfocused. I would throw this out and design a new, flashier ability. Try and keep it as one ability as well. Again I've had similar thoughts about the situational terrain damage. The destructive wave is more or less tacked on, yes. This was the ability I had the least inspiration with, and I was having trouble thinking flashy and exciting things to gain at this level.

In summary, the initial premise of your idea is really cool, but I have to admit that while I read, I began to lose sight of its flavor. I no longer really see why goblinoids would've come up with this type of spellcasting when they so rarely work with oozes in the game. I was really expecting more of a focus on acid, necrotic, and more macabre themes, but it seems you immediately shift focus to center entirely around oozes. Again I really should have included some lore, sorry. I'm not designing this for generic setting D&D, the goblinoids in the world this is for are united and the Mucusmancers function as artillery as well as summoning dumb laborers and infantry in the form of oozes. I can see why the name would be misleading, but I came with the name that I thought would best fit the theme. I imagine a wizard with this archetype to be a master of oozes as well as have the ability to summon blasts of corrosive slime.

I'll also say that this really feels less like a Wizard archetype, and more like a Warlock Patron. I feel this because you seem to be focusing a lot on familiars, changing spells, and kinship with oozes I've not thought of that... In the lore I have for them it is definitely a wizard tradition, but it would be a neat turn to think of if the rigid and duty focused goblins in the setting this is for had a cosmic force of some kind with all of the nation's most powerful battle casters under its thumb....

Anyway, that's about all I had to say. I hope that you'll find it helpful, and that you'll continue to improve your creation. Best of luck! Keep at it! Yeah it was a really helpful post, thanks again!

Hykeru
2018-04-26, 06:44 PM
Glad you find the feedback useful. I guess I have a couple of responses.

Check out what he's done with the subject, and from there you can decide if you want to take a page from his book, or distance yourself.

On the topic of your Familiar dilemma, one solution might just be to stick with the basic familiars the spell already provides, but have the spell change their types to Oozes.

On Conjure Animals, no I don't really think it's too powerful, especially if you only change the type of creature summoned, and not its CR. I will warn you though, rare is the DM that enjoys when players use Conjuration magic. It puts a lot of extra burden on them. That said, it is what it is, and you're only shrinking your audience slightly, so it's probably not worth sweating about.

Finally, I've had a bit of an idea for a final feature. You could have some kind of AOE ability that is triggered by a certain condition. On activation, it turns every object that isn't being worn by a creature into a small ooze. That would create a lot of chaos and would probably be a lot of fun, which sounds right up a goblin's ally.

Anyway, that's about all I have for you. Good work and keep it up!

P.S. - On the topic of Warlocks, this is a warlock subclass from a homebrewer who I'm a big fan of. It's a warlock who focuses on manipulating and even becoming oozes. It's really cool. I'll link it below.

Hykeru
2018-04-26, 06:46 PM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9p7DxYuE-3VTDdNSWxYSjBLckU