PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Upgrade to 5e Goodberry spell (Good Shrooms)

Eckerd
2018-04-20, 01:48 PM
GOOD SHROOMS
2nd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a sprig of mistletoe)
Duration: Instantaneous
Up to six mushrooms appear in your hand and are infused with magic for the duration. A creature can use its action to eat one. Eating one restores 2d4+your spellcasting ability modifier hit points and rolls a d8 for additional effect that last for one hour after consumption. Consuming an additional mushroom within an hour removes the additional effect granted by the first, unless poisoned.
The berries lose their potency if they have not been consumed within 24 hours of the casting of this spell.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 2nd.
d8 roll for additional effect:
1 – Poisoned (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.)
2 – +2 Strength
3 – +2 Dexterity
4 – +2 Constitution
5 – +2 Intelligence
6 – +2 Wisdom
7 – +2 Charisma
8 - provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day.

Eckerd
2018-04-20, 01:49 PM
I created a circle of spores druid and wanted to create a thematic upgrade to Goodberry. This spells combines Goodberry with the level 2 cleric spell Prayer of Healing lowering the healing from d8’s to d4 since they can be consumed by one character and/or held for some time. The additional random effect also helps to offset the lower healing while giving a possible draw back due to the ability to hold them for the day.

Hykeru
2018-04-20, 07:00 PM
Put simply, I like this. It's on theme, and the effects feel strong but fair as a 2nd level spell, especially since they don't stack. A minor concern I have is that they do kind of stack of distributed among the party, since everyone gets an effect. I get the feeling you've already thought of this, since you've added the poison effect on the 1. I like this, but I think it would work really well if an 8 cured the poison effect, as well as some minor status conditions. This would be interesting, because if a party is distributing the shrooms among themselves and one of them gets poisoned, the other party members might be tempted to give another shroom to the poisoned party member. This would help reduce the potential +6 stat boost that the party is collectively getting, thus helping the DM balance the next encounter better. Not a super big thing. Just a thought. Anyway, as I said, I really like it. So good job!